Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
First off, I was born in the late 70's, so I'm right in the middle of this demographic.

This question comes about after reading the book Generation Me by Jean Twenge and seeing lots of "blame the boomers" type threads here on the forum.

I am atypical for my generation, I guess. I left home at age 19 and never moved back in, wandered South America for a year, married at age 20, bought my first house at age 22 (I bought my second house, where I am now at age 27), got a BA degree without going into any debt, have 10 years in my career (which I don't enjoy, but hey, it pays the bills) and now have three kids with my wife of almost 13 years. We are even a 1 income family; my wife stays at home and cares for our kids. Most of this would be no suprise for a Boomer or Silent Generation member, but younger folks are often shocked to find out where I stand... it is as if I had been to the moon or something (especially when I was going to school in my late 20's)

Generation Me spends a lot of time trying to convince the reader that it is nearly impossible for younger people these days to do any of this.... but while it was (and is difficult) to raise a family...NONE of these doors were closed for me. It was NOT particularly difficult and far from impossible for me to get an education, home or maintain my independence. All it took was work and some basic planning.

One thing mentioned in the book that I have fought in my own life is the sense of entitlement, and the belief that I am special. It was leeched into my head since day one, but luckily it's dying off in me.

So what is wrong with my generation?! Are we lazy, unmotivated or afraid to try? Is entitlement and unjustified self-esteem holding us back or is the world really stacked against us?

Do millenials "miss the train" by delaying their entry into adulthood, and cut themselves off from opportunity? Who (or what) is to blame?
You got lucky. you had good parents.

me too. but a lot of GenXers were raised by idiots. our generation is a generation of thumbsuckers because our babyboomer parents were utter morons....utter and complete screwups who were the only generation of Americans to lose a war and they are currently screwing up the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
You got lucky. you had good parents.

me too. but a lot of GenXers were raised by idiots. our generation is a generation of thumbsuckers because our babyboomer parents were utter morons....utter and complete screwups who were the only generation of Americans to lose a war and they are currently screwing up the country.
Oh boy, not another lost 'foot soldier' in the endless "Culture Wars"! Hey, the world's an imperfect place... get over it. Although your post is a good description of what's "imperfect" about your own generation... and it's a pretty good example of it too.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Yes, but isn't that why we bother posting on the forum at all?

Well, the best evidence I've read against that idea is The Forth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe. They dug up plenty of evidence that generational change is generally circular over about 80 year periods (or at least it has been since the 1600s).

If life didn't appreciably change from generation to generation, like in the Middle ages or in long lived ancient empires like China, Egypt, Rome, ect. I would agree with you. After all, we are the same species, with the same physiology and would have same general environmental stimuli...

...But the world in the last couple hundred years has been rapidly changing and evolving technologicaly. We just don't live in the same kind of world as the generation before us. This HAS to cause generational differences in outlook and understanding of the world.

Remember, I'm talking from very general macro-scale terms...there are always exceptions and powerful biological forces that work the other way too, not to mention local variation.
Hmmm...interesting, and compelling.

Then let me rephrase it this way: the only real difference is the invention of books, newspapers, and technology as it relates to media. In other words...information. And of course, you're probably right that it takes about 80 years to see a real change, which is about what...4 generations?

Still though, i stick to my basic premise that for the most part, the entitlement mentality is probably no worse than it's ever been. I just think that kids have far more to aspire to in 2010 than they did in 1910 since technology makes the unthinkable more possible.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Still though, i stick to my basic premise that for the most part, the entitlement mentality is probably no worse than it's ever been. I just think that kids have far more to aspire to in 2010 than they did in 1910 since technology makes the unthinkable more possible.
I'd agree with you on that point. I think it's a general cross-generation belief/feeling that the "world is your oyster" (even that saying must be at least a hundred years old ) when you are a young adult.

Another thought I had has to do with the nature of the consumer economy itself...

Consumerism requires a constant "raising of the bar" to keep demand and therefore growth moving upward. Perhaps the latest generation is just unlucky they came into the game when the bar had risen a bit too high to just jump onto it.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
First off, I was born in the late 70's, so I'm right in the middle of this demographic.

This question comes about after reading the book Generation Me by Jean Twenge and seeing lots of "blame the boomers" type threads here on the forum.

I am atypical for my generation, I guess. I left home at age 19 and never moved back in, wandered South America for a year, married at age 20, bought my first house at age 22 (I bought my second house, where I am now at age 27), got a BA degree without going into any debt, have 10 years in my career (which I don't enjoy, but hey, it pays the bills) and now have three kids with my wife of almost 13 years. We are even a 1 income family; my wife stays at home and cares for our kids. Most of this would be no suprise for a Boomer or Silent Generation member, but younger folks are often shocked to find out where I stand... it is as if I had been to the moon or something (especially when I was going to school in my late 20's)

Generation Me spends a lot of time trying to convince the reader that it is nearly impossible for younger people these days to do any of this.... but while it was (and is difficult) to raise a family...NONE of these doors were closed for me. It was NOT particularly difficult and far from impossible for me to get an education, home or maintain my independence. All it took was work and some basic planning.

One thing mentioned in the book that I have fought in my own life is the sense of entitlement, and the belief that I am special. It was leeched into my head since day one, but luckily it's dying off in me.

So what is wrong with my generation?! Are we lazy, unmotivated or afraid to try? Is entitlement and unjustified self-esteem holding us back or is the world really stacked against us?

Do millenials "miss the train" by delaying their entry into adulthood, and cut themselves off from opportunity? Who (or what) is to blame?

I will say this the, cost of of a college education has increased signficantly in the last 30 years while on a comparable basis wages for low skills jobs as actually decreased when inflation is factored in. Housing cost have also increased significantly.

That's why so many young people have to take out loans and aren't nears as independent as young people in the 1970's and 1980's.

I can remember going to college in the early 1980's and living in a $170 a month efficiency and getting by on jobs that paid $4.00 an hour. I can remember getting by $20.00 a week worth of groceries.

Now consider nowadays where a decent place to live might cost $500 or more a month depending on what part of the country you are in. Then throw in groceries, utiliteis, transporation, etc. Now try doing that on and going to school on lets say $10.00 an hour. It's tough to say the least.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I will say this the, cost of of a college education has increased signficantly in the last 30 years while on a comparable basis wages for low skills jobs as actually decreased when inflation is factored in. Housing cost have also increased significantly.

That's why so many young people have to take out loans and aren't nears as independent as young people in the 1970's and 1980's.

I can remember going to college in the early 1980's and living in a $170 a month efficiency and getting by on jobs that paid $4.00 an hour. I can remember getting by $20.00 a week worth of groceries.

Now consider nowadays where a decent place to live might cost $500 or more a month depending on what part of the country you are in. Then throw in groceries, utiliteis, transporation, etc. Now try doing that on and going to school on lets say $10.00 an hour. It's tough to say the least.
Uhgggggggrrrrrr....don't remind me.

My son just graduated from college on the 17th...3 1/2 years and about 60k....leaving me broke! LMAO...not complaining, but damn, i'm drained financially. I did all i could do to help him avoid having to take out loans.

That's a HUGE difference from what school cost me in the early 80's...that's for darn sure!

Old 12-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
BTW, these are the descriptions of each of the generations from an astrological perspective. Like "generations", astrology is very much about the idea of "cycles", with the sign of the slow-moving planet Pluto usually associated with the underlying emotional drives of each generation born during that period (on average, Pluto takes about 21 years to traverse a sign). The link also includes descriptions of generations going back to the 1800's, and even if one isn't into that sort of thang, it's interesting, and surprisingly accurate:
Wandering Star - Astrology by Generation, E. Alan Meece

"The war babies," 1939-1946 (Generation W-a) (Uranus in Taurus/Gemini, trine Neptune in Virgo/Libra; Pluto in Leo) This group provided the leaders of the "60s generation." They are outspoken, visionary and unconventional, but they burned up much of their energy in their youth (Gemini). Impulsive, confident, spontaneous and restless, they are rebels with a cause and can become great leaders. But perhaps they have been too fickle or adaptable to remain true to the great ideals of their youth. This group and the next are very musically talented. Examples: Muhammed Ali, Joan Baez, The Beatles, Joseph Biden, Chevy Chase, Robert DeNiro, John Denver, Bob Dylan, Richard Gephardt, Newt Gingrich, Tom Hayden, Jimi Hendrix, Jesse Jackson, Mick Jagger, Janis Joplin, Ted Koppel, Oliver North, Pat Schroeder, Tom Selleck, Pete Townshend, Paul Tsongas.

"The baby boomers," 1946-1956 (Generation W-b) (Uranus in late Gemini and Cancer, square Neptune in Libra; Pluto in Leo) This populous group is famous for its idealism and provided the "shock troops" for the sixties rebellions. These "flower children" are outgoing, warm, adventurous, confident, outspoken and exhibitionist; but less original than the war babies. Born to prosperous but uncertain times, they were called "spoiled" and "impatient;" yet although they dropped out as "hippies," they also became the first "yuppies" (young urban professionals). They insist on their creative autonomy (Leo), but also long for union with others (Libra); so some of them are emotionally insecure or inconsistent. Examples: Cher, Bill Clinton (1946), Kevin Costner, Billy Crystal, Al Gore Jr., Jay Leno, David Letterman, Joe Montana, Jane Pauley, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jerry Seinfeld, Bruce Springsteen, Meryl Streep, John Travolta, Robin Williams, Oprah Winfrey.

"The baby boomers, part two," 1957-62 (Generation W-c) (Uranus in Leo, Neptune in Scorpio, Pluto in Virgo) This group was too young for the sixties and so are more conventional in their approach to life. They are talented investigators or analysts and provide many of the "yuppie" computer professionals. Most in this group are self-contained, shrewd, secretive, careful, tenacious, calculating and capable. They are more thoughtful, hesitant, reflective and unsure than the elder boomers, but often no less outgoing and exhibitionist (since Uranus is in Leo). In fact, many in this group have already made quite an impression in the show business world. Examples: Scott Baio, Matthew Broderick, Katie Couric, Tom Cruise, Michael J. Fox, Woody Harrelson, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Demi Moore, Eddie Murphy, Donny Osmond, Sean Penn, Prince, Tim Robbins.

"The techno-punks," 1963-1969 (Generation X-a) (Uranus conjunct Pluto in Virgo; Neptune in Scorpio) It was said that the "punks" were the hippies of the eighties. This group is free-wheeling, impulsive, clever and resourceful, but more hard-nosed and cynical than the baby boomers were. They grew up in a declining society with little moral direction, and so have been called "the new lost generation" (the old was the group of "seekers" born during the Neptune-Pluto conjunction). They were labeled "Generation X" because they were so unsure of their identity or purpose. Despite having to grow up as "brash, pragmatic, suspicious, skeptical, selfish, sharp-eyed survivalists," this group has enormous creative potential once they find something to believe in. The first children of the computer age, they will undergo many personal upheavals and changes. Great scientists, artists and revolutionary political leaders could emerge from this group. Examples: Lisa Bonet, Kurt Cobain, Gary Coleman, Rob Lowe, Marla Matlin, Sinaid O'Connor, Luke Perry, Jason Priestley, Kiefer Sutherland.

"The mellow ones," 1970-1974 (Generation X-b) (Uranus in Libra, Neptune in Sagittarius, Pluto in Virgo/Libra) This is mostly a friendly, easy-going, confused, flabby, indolent group of "slackers," but it has great potential in music and diplomacy. Not so fanatical and less cynical than their elder brothers and sisters, they are often wise, generous and mature. This group needs to get off its duff and make up for its poor educational background. Once it does, some very talented artists, writers, philosophers and teachers may come from this sub-generation. Examples: Christina Applegate, Kirk Cameron, Neil Patrick Harris.

"The explorers," 1975-1981 (Generation X-c) (Uranus in Scorpio, Neptune in Sagittarius, Pluto in Libra) This group is more intense, exuberant, and disciplined than the previous one. They are "mellow," but also very cynical. Relationships and sex are important to this generation, like other recent ones. Many children of the seventies and eighties feel the need to fill the cultural void in their lives by exploring the unknown and traveling widely. They see the lurking danger to their future, so the best of them are driven to investigate the roots of our problems. But others may act out their alienation destructively. Examples: Macauley Culkin, Fred Savage.

"Explorers, part two," 1982-84 (Generation X-d) (Uranus and Neptune in Sagittarius, Pluto in Libra) Temperamentally this exuberant group is more like the "mellow ones," but they are also definitely "explorers." They are undisciplined and unfocused, but probably very positive and mature otherwise. This transitional sub-generation will be a great source of visionaries, adventurers, humorists, storytellers, writers and philosophers, but don't look for too many great political leaders.

"The benevolent entrepreneurs," 1984-88 (Generation Y-a) (Uranus in Sagittarius, Neptune in Capricorn, Pluto in Scorpio) This is a more ambitious and well-disciplined group. It will include many far-seeing and important leaders and entrepreneurs. Though most will probably be on the conservative side, many will organize great projects for the public benefit. They feel a great duty to society and Humanity.

"The committed ones," 1988-1995 (Generation Y-b) (Uranus conjunct Neptune in Capricorn, Pluto in Scorpio) This is a group with outstanding potential. It is a very precocious generation, but won't burn itself out in youth. They are steady, persistent, determined, ambitious and passionate. They have great talent in the arts, politics and organization, and they may be the great leaders who lay down lasting foundations for a new age of civilization. On the other hand, some might consider them too cold, calculating, rigid, worldly or obsessed with their own goals.

Last edited by mateo45; 12-30-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 03:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
well that makes me part of Generation X-d

"The explorers," 1975-1981 (Generation X-c) (Uranus in Scorpio, Neptune in Sagittarius, Pluto in Libra) This group is more intense, exuberant, and disciplined than the previous one. They are "mellow," but also very cynical. Relationships and sex are important to this generation, like other recent ones. Many children of the seventies and eighties feel the need to fill the cultural void in their lives by exploring the unknown and traveling widely. They see the lurking danger to their future, so the best of them are driven to investigate the roots of our problems. But others may act out their alienation destructively. Examples: Macauley Culkin, Fred Savage.

"Explorers, part two," 1982-84 (Generation X-d) (Uranus and Neptune in Sagittarius, Pluto in Libra) Temperamentally this exuberant group is more like the "mellow ones," but they are also definitely "explorers." They are undisciplined and unfocused, but probably very positive and mature otherwise. This transitional sub-generation will be a great source of visionaries, adventurers, humorists, storytellers, writers and philosophers, but don't look for too many great political leaders.

haha history leaves us to write and tell the stories of what happend in the late 20th and early 21st century... oh well atleast we will inject some humor into all of this

Last edited by GTOlover; 12-30-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, these are the descriptions of each of the generations from an astrological perspective. Like "generations", astrology is very much about the idea of "cycles", with the sign of the slow-moving planet Pluto usually associated with the underlying emotional drives of each generation born during that period (on average, Pluto takes about 21 years to traverse a sign). The link also includes descriptions of generations going back to the 1800's, and even if one isn't into that sort of thang, it's interesting, and surprisingly accurate...

Funny, I read my generation "the explorers" and think: "hey, that's me!". Then I read the next one and thought the same thing. Then I read all of them and thought the same thing too!

This is an awful lot like a horoscope; If you get complimented or other positive stimulis directed at you, of course you are gonna accept it mentally.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Omg, I bought groceries meant for 1-2 weeks, and it cost me between $50-60! And the funny thing is, I only bought cheap "necessary" items.

I want to work through school, but after a year of applying for jobs, I only got a call back from McDonalds in May of this year. I took it, and still work their (I'm on leave since I go to school a few hours away). But, even when I worked during the summer, all the money I made was gone after buying books and a used laptop, necessary items for school! If it wasn't for my loans and my dad helping me, I don't know what I would do. I can't wait to graduate and get a job so I can pay back the loans (~13000 now I guess).

Thank you for injecting sense into this forum. I am tired of people thinking that the youth are these actors that they see on tv. I am young, but I am not spoiled or entitled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies