Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I tend to question people who are SO sure of their stance on something that nothing else could possibly be true.

Do I believe in global climate change? Yeah, I think there is some very convincing evidence that is it happening and is being accelerated by our (humanity) actions. Do I believe it to be 100% true and nothing else could be going on? No.

I think people need to open their minds a little more to the possibility that they may be wrong. On both sides. Global climate change is scary enough that even if there is a possibility that we are contributing to it, we need to make some changes. If we're wrong, what's the worst that can happen? Our earth is a little cleaner? I see nothing wrong with that...
What do you think the skeptical position is? It is a position of scientific process, one of uncertainty to which requires the proper validation and verification of the findings before any conclusions can be made.

Make no mistake here, this is not an "equal side" problem here where both are drawing solid conclusions. The AGW position has been one of proclaimed conclusive result, one to which it stated that the discussion was over, one to which those promoting the position making statements of strong certainty when the fact remains there is nothing near such a position.

The AGW position is the one demanding action, making invalid conclusions and pressuring political action. There is only one side here that is wrong, and it is the side pushing conclusions without proper validation. That is not the skeptical side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 03:31 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,536,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Can we file a class action lawsuit against Al Gore for the inconvenient truth of Glabal Warming?

Sure, you can bring a law suit against Jesus, God, a Ham Sandwich, the weather, or your television set, why not Nancy Reagan for marrying a man who believed that trickle down economics was anything more than citizens getting some warm recycled trickle from above? Certainly you can sue Al for what exactly?

It is America, when in doubt sue someone. My coffee is too hot, McDonalds makes my kid fat, the floor was wet at the store, the floor is dirty at the store, etc... etc...
And that is one of many problems in this country today resuolting in higher prices. A jury awards a verdict way out of line with the facts of the case. I spilled coffee in my lap because I was trying to open it while a passenger riding down the road and spilled it in my own lap not knowing coffee would be hot. 46 million award, later reduced, but the result is a higher liability insurance premium resulting in higher prices and we all pay for it.
Only one example, but it happens daily. No wonder insurance premiums and prices for goods and services is up.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM

267 posts, read 883,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What do you think the skeptical position is? It is a position of scientific process, one of uncertainty to which requires the proper validation and verification of the findings before any conclusions can be made.

Make no mistake here, this is not an "equal side" problem here where both are drawing solid conclusions. The AGW position has been one of proclaimed conclusive result, one to which it stated that the discussion was over, one to which those promoting the position making statements of strong certainty when the fact remains there is nothing near such a position.

The AGW position is the one demanding action, making invalid conclusions and pressuring political action. There is only one side here that is wrong, and it is the side pushing conclusions without proper validation. That is not the skeptical side.

This is exactly what I am talking about.

There are scientists on both sides of this argument making claims. NONE of us know with absolute certainty what is going on with the world right now. What is clear is that something IS happening. Are we the cause of it? Maybe. Maybe not. But if there is even a chance that we are, why not take action? Why are people SO against trying to make our world a cleaner place?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,396,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Isn't it time we get the money back he got by lying to the public while being a person that many looked up to as being a person that could be trusted.

I wonder how much electrician he is using these days ...before it was a much a small town but with the cold the way it is it might be as much as a big town...
I think we should go for it.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,169,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

You flaw in reasoning is obvious, you assume that AGW has a single position in unilateral agreement and this itself is simply not true.

Some people believe it to be true, others believe part of it to be true and other parts to be debatable. Others still say the entire thing is nonsense.

There is no universal conclusion, only your statement that one exist. If I show you one scientist who disputes some aspect of global warming while accepting another, then your assertion is wrong.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,396,009 times
I think that Al Gore gave me PTSD by bombarding me with global warming lies.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:40 PM

20,419 posts, read 12,338,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Actually you should read some of the scientific proofing out there. Real science since seems to be congruent with Mr. Gore's view, and not so much with the right wing-think tanks who have tricked masses of people in to believing that global warming is a hoax.

Research the views of the proofing in other countries. I think you'd be surprised as to what they thing of the proofing offered.
LOL! at least you are funny.

real science... like Michael Mann's hockey stick.... and Keith Briffa's Yamal Magic Tree...

and all those "models" that show all kinds of things that arent happening.

yea. the "real science" shows some really hot stuff.

blather

Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Actually many of us-- especially those of us with college educations-- seem to agree with the scientific evidence that climate change is occurring.

But please, go ahead and try to get your class action suit together. Of course, you will be required to proofing your case in court.

if you dont believe climate is changing you are either dead or not very s m r t...

now deciding what the cause of climate change is....THAT is an entirely different story.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
According to who?

My training is in computer science. I'd be much more qualified to explain how computer memory works, or the theoretical/logical basis for an object oriented approach to programming. I leave climatology to the legitimate experts. You seem to discount the real scientists because you prefer political hacks who confirm, instead of challenge, your world view.

Here you go. Here is a nice article by a PhD accredited scientist who’s bonafides include decades of research trapsing around the artic circle.

He don’t buy Anthropogenic Global Warming any more than I do.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/12/27/how-i-learned-to-stop-smoking-and-love-global-warming-2/

Old 12-30-2010, 01:09 PM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
I wonder if Al Gore's wife hangs her laundry out in the back yard to dry. I am assuming with all his "green" nonsense that they do not own a dryer and have a nice long clothesline in the backyard, with plenty of clothespins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies