Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with refraining from saying something that is genuinely hurtful to others.

The thing that drives me up the wall is when the PC Police decide what's offensive, when it really isn't.
For example, I don't know any Jewish people who are offended by Christmas decorations. I don't know any Christians who are offended by Hanukkah decorations. I don't see anything wrong with saying either Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays (I figure that means Christmas and New Years).

The most ridiculous example of PC run amok is how they have relabeled niger bird seed to nyger, out of political correctness LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
It seems on a daily basis we have to walk on egg shells around certain people because they might be "offended".

Am I the only person in America who thinks that we are overdosing on Political Correctness, and think there may soon be a PC Backlash???
You sound really bitter. I can't relate to your frustration. Why don't you just be yourself and say what's on your mind? Are you afraid of being criticized?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You sound really bitter. I can't relate to your frustration. Why don't you just be yourself and say what's on your mind? Are you afraid of being criticized?
Shouldn't you already have me on ignore??? If so, then what do you care what I do, say or think? Oh, while you DON'T have me on ignore I will go ahead and say, that after reading your post for some year and a half, you are one of the PC people I am referring to. And on that note, have a VERY Merry CHRISTMAS and a Happy 2011!!!!
Hows that for being PC? Oh wait, I said CHRIST....I might have offended someone. Oh F-ing well!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Have a gathering of African Americans, and you will have many white guys & gals show up.

Because they are originally from Africa, born and raised.
It is idiotic.
That might offend someone, because it doesn't fit the PC mold they want everyone to be in.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
When blacks unanimously vote on "African American" AND sign a contract stating that they will never change their name again, I'll be happy to call you that. But I'm not going to play this silly game whereby you change your name every couple of decades. You know, something you need to realize is that no matter how many name changes you undergo, you are still who you are -- a name change cannot change that.
Touché

Old 12-21-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't you already have me on ignore??? If so, then what do you care what I do, say or think? Oh, while you DON'T have me on ignore I will go ahead and say, that after reading your post for some year and a half, you are one of the PC people I am referring to. And on that note, have a VERY Merry CHRISTMAS and a Happy 2011!!!!
Hows that for being PC? Oh wait, I said CHRIST....I might have offended someone. Oh F-ing well!!!
I don't know what to tell you other than "good luck". You're obviously very angry and frustrated with the world as it is today. Society's not going to change just because you've imagined that there's a "backlash" coming, so I think you might be better off adjusting your attitude rather than asking the world to adjust to yours.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't know what to tell you other than "good luck". You're obviously very angry and frustrated with the world as it is today. Society's not going to change just because you've imagined that there's a "backlash" coming, so I think you might be better off adjusting your attitude rather than asking the world to adjust to yours.

Typical response from a PC Queen (no pun intended). WE better change OUR attitudes to please OTHERS.
That was the point of this thread, to point out the PC BS,and to get other people thoughts on whether or not they think a BACKLASH is looming ahead
Now since I offend you soooooo much, do me and yourself a favor and put me back on ignore, this time for good.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, well it's derogatory now. God forbid someone uses it in my presence in reference to me. I consider it to be worse than the N-word because the user is obviously trying to be slick by using an unacceptable slur that they KNOW is unacceptable, but thinks it's mild enough to get away with. I aint having it.

It's sad that you have to look at the world as if someone is out to get you. It's sad that you would threaten to do my elderly father harm for using a term he was taught was politically correct in his day. He would mean no harm to you in saying that yet you feel justified in harming him for attempting to keep up on what really matters in this day and age as opposed to trying to keep up with current slang.

You feel justified in making sweeping generalizations and expect no one to notice yet you are so thin skinned that you would harm an old man because he doesn't understand that to you personally, his terminology is offensive. You are THAT sure it is meant as a slur? Do you just feel offended when someone from another race speaks to you? Are they ALL out to get you? Do you just KNOW that they are racist before thoughts are even expressed to you? I realize the victimization is hard to maintain if you give just a little...but do you really think the world is a better place if you feed the hate?

The OP is correct IMO. I think we're all in for a world of hurt if this continues. This BS is meant to divide us and as a divided entity we will ALL be conquered.

Last edited by Isitmeorarethingsnuts?; 12-21-2010 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 PM

To those of you who think that political correctness is a problem, how is society oppressing you? What is it that you feel you are unable to say in public?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
It seems on a daily basis we have to walk on egg shells around certain people because they might be "offended".

Am I the only person in America who thinks that we are overdosing on Political Correctness, and think there may soon be a PC Backlash???
No, you are not alone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies