Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 11:29 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Not all liberals are for same-sex marriage just as not all conservatives are against it, but a great many of the people who are for them are from the liberal side of the spectrum. This seems strange because many (not all) of these same people are pro-evolution. If evolution is the THING (for them), then sex is mainly for procreation. Since attraction and sexual intercourse members of the same sex is NOT biologically producitive, why would so many people who are pro science be for something that is not biologically logical?
Why do you attempt to thinly veil your homophobia by attempting to bring Darwin into the conversation?

This isn't a "liberal" thing. This is a liberal/moderate/centrist/center/center-right thing. The only ones against it are the Invisible Sky Fairy Worshippers and the extreme right wingers. I'm pretty centrist and not 3 months ago I officiated over a gay wedding for a friend of mine (go-go Internet priesthood). So obviously, I'm in favor of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
it comes down to two things... people are either bigots.. or they believe in a religion that is bigotted...
good people make bad choices...
people choose religions not sexual orientations...

Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Not all liberals are for same-sex marriage just as not all conservatives are against it, but a great many of the people who are for them are from the liberal side of the spectrum. This seems strange because many (not all) of these same people are pro-evolution. If evolution is the THING (for them), then sex is mainly for procreation. Since attraction and sexual intercourse members of the same sex is NOT biologically producitive, why would so many people who are pro science be for something that is not biologically logical?
Liberals are not "pro-evolution". That is like saying that one group or another is "pro-gravity". Evolution is simply something that happened, and continues to happen. Acknowledging this is a matter of education, not politics.

Apart from that, your argument itself makes about as much sense as saying "since we have mouths that evolved for the purpose of eating sustenance, nobody should use them for singing or chewing gum."

Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Trying to argue from a scientific basis is pointless. These people are already anti-gay and will hear no factual information to disprove what they already believe. Science collects facts and then forms conclusions. Religion forms the conclusion, then tries to twist the facts.

The fact of the matter is that sex has many purposes, not just procreation. Sex is necessary for good health, and there have been numerous studies to this effect. I was just at a conference where they had a symposium on how sex is needed to maintain physical health. It relieves stress, promotes circulation, it increases oxygen to the cells. So when people say "Sex is only for procreation" they are wrong. And don't get me even started on the "God only wants married people to have sex to have babies". That is ludicrous, and really, I am sure the anti-gay people on this board have had sex once or twice with their wives/husbands when the long term goal was not to make a baby.

The bible says a lot of stupid things. If we went around legislating according to the bible then masturbation would be illegal. Not that the good christians on this board would EVER touch themselves, that is SO immoral. I mean the bible supports slavery. Even in the new testament, Jesus supports owning and BEATING your slaves. If the bible is incorrect on one of the most fundamental issues of humanity, that slavery is wrong, how can you take anything it says at face value?

Homosexuality has been observed in over 250 different animal species and has been documented in human beings since the beggining of recorded time. There is no scientific argument to support the anti-gay bigotry that posters on this forums spew.

It's interesting though, I notice that the fundies on this board only want to legislate morality for the sins they don't commit. So divorce, and premarital sex are okay, as long as you are straight.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 12-30-2010 at 12:43 AM..

Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 AM

131 posts, read 209,148 times
Jesus gives his blessing to a Greek man and his love boy in there somewhere, but they translated that right the **** out of there.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
For the same reason that we were against slavery and forced racial segregation.

It has nothing to do with these stupid straw man arguments about what is "biologically logical".

Old 12-30-2010, 12:43 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
LOL that this thread got demoted from Great Debates... guess it wasn't such a great argument!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:46 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,294 times
Hulu - Glee: Baby, It's Cold Outside (http://www.hulu.com/watch/198555/glee-baby-its-cold-outside - broken link)

Because we were born this way. It [being gay]runs on my mother's side of the family back as far as we can trace it. There were always gay siblings,
cousins, uncles, aunts, etc. My fathers side of the family, no one that we
know of. It's an attraction that I've always had as far back as my memories go. My gay cousins share the same experience. Just like you didn't make a choice to be straight, we haven't made a choice to be gay.
We were born this way. I posted the above link again because I really like it and it goes well with our current time of the year.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
They have the same right as heterosexuals. Men can't marry men and women can't marry women. Whether the law coincides with the way you feel or with what you want to do is irrelavant. I think I should be able to run stopsigns if I think they are unnecessary, but I can't. The law applies to me as it does everyone, regardless of my person feelings about it or if it is advantageous to me or not.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
You know, that's the same argument they used to use against inter-racial marriage. "Blacks have the same rights Whites have. Black men can't marry white women and White men can't marry black women." It was a stupid argument then and it's a stupid argument now.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:29 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
You know, that's the same argument they used to use against inter-racial marriage. "Blacks have the same rights Whites have. Black men can't marry white women and White men can't marry black women." It was a stupid argument then and it's a stupid argument now.
And it's been pretty well debunked too. However, some people still believe that blacks are inferior to whites. What are you gonna do? People will make up whatever arguments they want to not face the reality of their own bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies