Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should US workers be replaced by cheaper foreign labor for lower prices of goods??
Yes. 7 25.00%
No. 21 75.00%
I do not know. 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times

Advertisements

How about replacing Congress? Get some honest folks to come in, work for a flat 50K per year, and (here it gets sticky) ACT HONESTLY and TRUTHFULLY. That way, they'd be thrilled, and we'd benefit by folks DOING THE WORK AMERICANS WON'T DO !!

In all honesty, the situation is so complex it defies easy answers, The world is shrinking daily, and ultimately, in more and more aspects of life, the American citizen is in direct competition with the "man in the street" in Bangladesh and India, and elsewhere. It's a world-wide phenomena. Does anyone know of the situation of the Mexican shoe industry? Mexico, certainly a "leather-savvy" country, until recently had a very viable shoe-and-boot industry, That industry has now been devastated by-you guessed it- offshoring. The Mexican leather worker cannot compete with his counterpart in China and elsewhere. He has been "undercut", as it were.
Much as I am loathe to quote "the Decider" and his annoying platitudes, he does have a point about "the work Americans won't do". It's true that Americans once picked cotton and grapes, raked asphalt, washed dishes, and mowed lawns. But that was some time ago. Anyone envy the landscape contractor who has to put in a 30-acre golf-course, in 105 degree weather, and who has to accomplish this with a crew of 20-year old Americans? GOOD LUCK!!- Sad, but true....there really are jobs that most YOUNG Americans simply won't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 02:36 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Not true. Illegal labor only flourishes when wages are artificially lowered to the point where only illegals will do it. Job owners then import even more illegals which lowers wages even more. It's a vicious cycle that results in a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Sorry, beg to differ. There are lots of stories of farmers now trying to get legal workers to get out there to work. They can't find anyone, at least at minimum wage. Since they started cracking down on illegals last year, 30% of crops have been rotting in California's fields - because nobody is available to pick them up.

If they pay wages that Americans might consider working out there, the farmers would price themselves right out of the market. People will buy Argentina and Mexico produce instead if the American produce costs 3-4 x more. (Even the anti-Mexican crowd.)

Old 07-14-2007, 02:54 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,675,800 times
This has actually been proven wrong. In many farming states seeing illegals is still rare. So if a crop has to spoil in the fields before farmers start paying a prevailing wage then in California so be it. Besides your South American crop argument doesn't wash either. I'm sure in the end if Americans want their fruits and veggies stocked in the store they will be willing to pay another nickel per head of lettuce to cover the wage increase.

Besides, even if what you are saying is true, and I don't believe it is, I'd rather see the entire California fruit crop spoil than see more young innocent girls die at the hands of illegals like what happened to that girl up in Washington. At some point saving a buck just isn't worth it.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:50 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,762,651 times
OMG, I did not know they were bringing in farm laborers from Thailand and LEGALLY too, under that so called H-2A visa program. Corporations are doing this with other career fields also such as IT. I think (don't quote me on this one) it's the H-1B program or something like that.

The function of government is to look out for its citizenry. I guess all the rascals are doing now is taking care of multinational corporations. At this rate, our so called leaders are becoming superfluous.

Government should not remove the means of survival from its citizenry. What government does for one, it should do for all and what it does not for all it should not do for one.

Time to vote the rascals out. Put them on the spot. Demand elimination of all these sweatheart visa programs. Demand straight answers before you vote. BTW, don't pay too much attention to what all media outlets tell you. Pay more attention to what they are not telling you. The American electorate is going to have to become better informed and more involved.

Also, does anybody know who picks the produce in Europe? How do they handle things over there?

Old 07-14-2007, 03:59 PM

451 posts, read 835,411 times
If you are talking about outsourcing then my answer is yes.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 13,979 times
GiantC says if you live in America legally, or are Americans (you still know what that means don't you, you communist-loving nut?) you ought to stand up for your fellow Americans. Who voted "yes"? I know it ain't my fellow patriot Americans. Corporate shills and foreign I-want-take-american-job folks can vote too, yes?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:23 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,762,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Twist it around?
Ok, who are the farm workers that are being displace?
Last time I went by a farm at harvest time the laborers “farm workers” were all Mexicans.
Could it be that the displaced workers are legal, that their families have been working the fields since the 40's and that they "look" Mexican? To what are you referring? Mexican looking people working the fields or illegal immigrants who "look" Mexican?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
OMG, I did not know they were bringing in farm laborers from Thailand and LEGALLY too, under that so called H-2A visa program. Corporations are doing this with other career fields also such as IT. I think (don't quote me on this one) it's the H-1B program or something like that.

The function of government is to look out for its citizenry. I guess all the rascals are doing now is taking care of multinational corporations. At this rate, our so called leaders are becoming superfluous.

Government should not remove the means of survival from its citizenry. What government does for one, it should do for all and what it does not for all it should not do for one.

Time to vote the rascals out. Put them on the spot. Demand elimination of all these sweatheart visa programs. Demand straight answers before you vote. BTW, don't pay too much attention to what all media outlets tell you. Pay more attention to what they are not telling you. The American electorate is going to have to become better informed and more involved.

Also, does anybody know who picks the produce in Europe? How do they handle things over there?
Don't know all the details-- not familiar with Europe. But my impression is that the "produce" you mention there is picked largely by non-locals just like here. These are either from the middle east, or the poor countries of SE Europe (the Balkan nations, or the former communist countries in general). All Western European countries have substantial numbers of illegals. Like the USA, Western Europe is a very affluent society, has quite an extensive social-services network, etc. etc., and, given these conditions, very few individuals are going to be attracted to farm work.
To that extent, Bush was right when he described "jobs Americans won't do". They did, of course, in the past. But that era is over. Europe, I understand, is similar in that regard. A life of hard labor and long hours in the sun just doesn't have many takers....

Old 07-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Sorry, beg to differ. There are lots of stories of farmers now trying to get legal workers to get out there to work. They can't find anyone, at least at minimum wage. Since they started cracking down on illegals last year, 30% of crops have been rotting in California's fields - because nobody is available to pick them up.

If they pay wages that Americans might consider working out there, the farmers would price themselves right out of the market. People will buy Argentina and Mexico produce instead if the American produce costs 3-4 x more. (Even the anti-Mexican crowd.)
Bit of trivia, Bily4,-- are you aware that some of those big tomato, melon, and produce farms in Mexico are actually owned/run by the same individuals that also own similar operations in California? This further adds to the complicated scenario. As bad as conditions may be in the San Joaquin Valley, workers have far fewer safety/health protections in Mexico. The big growers have quite a bit of latitude in regards to regulating supply of produce, etc. Works out good for "Big Business"..

Old 07-14-2007, 07:58 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,286 times
I don't disagree Macmeal. That is my point.. consumers are going to buy the cheap produce where they can get it from. And if in the U.S. they have to pay Americans $15-20/hour to get out there and bust their humps to pick the crops, nobody is going to be buying American produce any more. Globalization is a beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies