Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 08:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah a right to healthcare should be universal too...

FWIW I'm not Republican or even American and I think people who support capital punishment but are against abortion are slightly hypocritical.
I support capital punishment and I also support euthanasia.........the right to die with dignity.

I also support universal health care.

So I vote Democrat.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Is a newborn a fully functioning member of society?
Not to me...but I don't value children.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Then why do right-to-lifers want the government to interfere in a woman's choice?

If you have a right to life, you would also have a right to the healthcare needed to sustain life.

What leap?

Is the 7 month preemie I mentioned earlier entitled to expensive medical care to sustain its life?
Your fist presumption has to be correct in order for the rest of the argument to hold water. Yours is not and does not. Again, government does not grant rights. It seems to grant social programs but those are not to be confused with "rights".

No, a right to life (in this case to be born alive rather than aborted) does not automatically confer a right to everything needed to sustain that life. However, in our present society (USA), those premature infants do indeed get the access to that care regardless of the parents' ability to pay. Just because they get that care does not confer it as "a right". Do you actually understand what rights are and who confers them?

Old 12-24-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
We're selfish enough to believe that just because we 'want' something we can do anything to get it? It's just a little obstacle called 'life' that's in the way.
It isn't about what they "want"...it's about what they "don't want".

I'd get rid of a tapeworm, if I found I had one. I don't need a parasite feeding off me.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Or for that matter an elderly person of 103 who is bed ridden?

Is the arguement now on such a slippery slope that it is now ok to kill any human who is not a "fully functioning member of society"? Really?

Life should be valued, not dismissed when it is inconvenient. This is why abortion, euthanasia, and suicide are not "rights", IMO. The taking of those lives has an impact upon others, known or unknown at the time the "choice" is made.
completely acceptable.

my life has no impact on anyone else, and no one has an impact on mine.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It isn't about what they "want"...it's about what they "don't want".

I'd get rid of a tapeworm, if I found I had one. I don't need a parasite feeding off me.
Guess what, you didn't magically fall from the clouds into your mother's arms.

You were a parasite in your mother's womb. Perhaps she should've just got rid of you.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
completely acceptable.

While the latter may be true in your perception alone you have no way of proving the former unless you live in an isolated bubble; which, from your own post history, you do not. You also have no way of actually knowing if your posts here on CD impacts anyone else do you? If they do or have then you have made an impact, be it postive or otherwise.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Guess what, you didn't magically fall from the clouds into your mother's arms.

You were a parasite in your mother's womb. Perhaps she should've just got rid of you.
I totally agree. Instead, she delivered a child she didn't want, told me she didn't want me, and intentionally abused and neglected me. I considered myself lucky to get something to eat for most of my life.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
completely acceptable.

I'm sorry TKramer but that's a delusional thing to say. Nature is totally CONNECTED.

who keeps you alive? the people that grow the food you eat? Who gave you life? Whose paying for your healthcare?

Once you learn that we're all in this together, you'll gain a greater sense of fulfillment. The more you realise this the harder it will be to hate. I don't hate your or pro-abortion people the slightest. There's no way I'd go bombing abortion clinics I think those people are extremists.

For me it's about the principle of it.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
While the latter may be true in your perception alone you have no way of proving the former unless you live in an isolated bubble; which, from your own post history, you do not. You also have no way of actually knowing if your posts here on CD impacts anyone else do you? If they do or have then you have made an impact, be it postive or otherwise.
Right...

nobody cares what I say, I'm just a faceless entity--like anyone else on the Net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies