Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

I have gone to great lengths to rescue little bugs that have fallen in the bath tub so that they do not drown when I turn on the shower. I just do not feel right killing anything unnecessarily.

20yrsinBranson

Aww, haha. Me too! I once gave a bug " mouth to mouth " ( blowing at it )after it almost drowned in my kitchen zink. Suddenly it started to move in my hand and when I took it outside it flew away !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Doesn't bother me a bit to kill an insect. In fact, what I kill the most are slugs. I'm a gardener and absolutely despite the damn things.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
I think we make some distinctions. For example, I would not knowingly kill a ladybug or a butterfly. But I wouldn't hesitate to step on a cockroach.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 AM

23 posts, read 40,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think we make some distinctions. For example, I would not knowingly kill a ladybug or a butterfly. But I wouldn't hesitate to step on a cockroach.
I agree and when I am out picking raspberries and the bushes hum with bee song, I am always talking to the bees. I don't want to be stung and don't want to have to kill any.

When I am gardening I leave the spiders and such alone because I am on their turf but if they come inside, I kill! But I feel bad that I have to do so. But spiders make me cringe and shudder and I simply cannot coexist with them in my home.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
I guess I should thank that tick for giving me one helluva case of Lymes Disease? " Thank you little buddy! Now go make lots of little tick babies! My children want to spend 4 months in the hospital just like daddy! There ya go. Multiply and prosper!"

Old 01-12-2011, 11:08 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's just racism

Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM

352 posts, read 187,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I even felt a tiny bit guilty for killing a cockroach, believe it or not (I usually don't, but this particular time I still felt a bit like a murderer)...nah in general I don't feel guilty killing cockroaches, mosquitos, flies, and very small insects - the first two because I have a 'reason' for it. I'd find it difficult to kill anything else though; even beetles, butterflies.etc.

Call me hypocritical (because I do eat meat, and cows and pigs are higher sentient beings) or too soft, but I still don't like the idea of killing things including the animals we eat even though it's a natural part of the ecosystem. In general I'm very sensitive to cruelty to animals etc but I'm still not ready to join PETA or something.

So I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject and if you feel like I do. Is the guilt over killing instincts an innate or conditioned response? I don't think primitive people feel guilty about hunting animals, but I feel that's a bit more justified than killing for no reason.
Seek medical attention immediately. This could be but the tip of the iceberg.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
I kill often and indiscriminately. I am "the spider slayer", "critter killer" "the buginator". I don't want them anywhere in or around my home. I never capture and release, I spray with chemicals, suck it up with a vacuum cleaner hose, or pound it out with anything within arms reach.

Spiders don't stand a chance anywhere in my home. Flies all die. My home is critter free. Occasionally I'll leave the dead carcasses of fresh kills splattered where they die so that the smell lets other critters know to keep away. Then I'll sanitize it all with more cleaning chemicals like pure ammonia.

I don't have a killing conscience when it comes to spiders or any other pest in my home.

Ever.

If it comes in my home, it's dead.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When I was about 6 I didn't fully comprehend that I was taking life when I squashed snails or crushed bugs. By the age of 8, though, I became really anti-killing. I wouldn't kill anything except flies, mossies and cockroaches. I was never like those kids who killed insects for fun, and never once burned ants with a magnifying glass.

But even now when I kill a cockroach I find it amazing I can take life just like that, for no reason. What right do I have to say whether another living being gets to live or die?
It is my house, I have the right to determine who or what else lives there.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Is it natural to feel guilty over killing insects?

I doubt it, I also do not believe that the mosquito feels guilt for giving a human Malaria, or the Tse-Tse fly feels guilt for spreading elephantiasis. I refuse to feel guilty for a thing done in self-defense, real or imaginary. Conversely, I do not harm non-poisonous snakes, butterflies, dragonflies, things I know to be non-injurious to me or those around me. I'll cut a copperhead in half in a fraction of a heartbeat. It is the perceived threat that will draw a lethal reaction from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies