Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What about those who have went through various forms of reparative therapy and will say they have successfully changed...some of them going on to be married with families? Are they lying? Were they really bisexuals to begin with and they are just choosing to repress their homosexual side? That's something we honestly can't know for sure. Reparative therapy is a traumatic experience for many who undertake it but a few people will say that it worked for them, though it is a small minority compared to all those who attempt it. I know I will be attacked for leaving open the possibility that reperative therapy might have worked in some cases, but unless there is concrete proof every last person who says they changed are lying, the possibility has to be left open.

The left will admit that reparative therapy organizations are one of the biggest threats to gay rights because as long as there are people saying they have changed, there is a certain portion of the population that will continue to believe it is possible. If tomorrow science comes out with definitive proof concerning the cause of homosexuality and that sexual orientation is determined before birth, its possible many would call for the government to outlaw reparative therapy. More than likely though, the right would probably reject the new-found evidence the same way they reject evolution. Thus, any governmental action would be a violation of religious freedom.
Frankly I don't see these "reparative therapy" groups as "the biggest threat to gay rights" at all, because most people on the "left" realise them for what they are. Religiously motivated fringe group anti-gay brainwashers.

There are far too many EX "ex-gay" people who have told their stories of what goes on in the so-called "therapy" and how they lied about their desires because of all the pressure and shame inflicted on them.

These groups have also not been able to come up with ANY studies that were methodologically sound enough to be published in reputable science journals to support their claims of "success". And they claim thousands of successes. Why is that?

They have also not been able to come up with any studies to support their completely outdated ideas (by about 100 years) that homosexuality is a result of having a "distant father or overbearing mother", or sexual abuse (these notions have been completely discredited by mainsteam health professionals)

Only one study by Robert Spitzer was ever published in a reputable peer-reviewed journal, however it was so full of flaws and bias as to be virtually useless.

You can read more about the Spitzer study here: Analysis of Dr. Spitzer's study of reparative therapy It makes fascinating reading.

And here is a good overview of "reparative" therapy by Dr Greg Herek
Facts About Changing Sexual Orientation

This is probably a more accurate look at the supposed successes:
Dr. Ariel Shidlo and Dr. Michael Schroeder, reported findings from a study of 202 homosexuals. Most of the participants (178, or 88%) reported that efforts to change their sexual orientation had failed. 9% considered themselves successful but were celibate or still struggling with same-sex behavioral "slips"; Only 6 (3%) achieved what the researchers considered a heterosexual shift. Drs. Shidlo and Schroeder also reported that many respondents were harmed by the attempt to change.
Interestingly, of those who claimed a "change" in sexual orientation, apparently "7 were employed in paid or unpaid roles as 'ex-gay' counselors or group leaders".

If someone wants to lie to themselves and to others because they are so desperate to try to change their sexual orientation for religious reasons...well that's their choice.

However as a Counsellor myself, I strongly object to what so-called "therapists" are doing with their non-evidence based "theories" and their harmful brainwashing style therapies where they try to coral a client with leading questions into saying they had a distant father or overbearing mother or were sexually abused etc and then telling them all sorts of myths and lies about homosexuality. Then when their "pray away the gay" therapy doesn't work, telling clients that they musn't have prayed hard enough.

This is the direct opposite of how an ethical therapist should be practicing.

I don't know if this sort of thing can be banned in the US, but I doubt it, especially if it falls under the umbrella of religious counselling. Most of these "therapists" are not even qualified or practicing under the code of ethics of a professional organization like the APA.

All the professional health organizations DO warn against this type of therapy,
For example the American Psychiatric Association says this:

Quote:
Reparative therapy," also known as conversion therapy, is a term that is used to describe treatment attempts to change a person from a homosexual orientation to a heterosexual orientation. There is no published scientific evidence supporting the efficacy of "reparative therapy" as a treatment to change ones sexual orientation.
There is no evidence that any treatment can change a homosexual person’s deep seated sexual feelings for others of the same sex.
Clinical experience suggests that any person who seeks conversion therapy may be doing so because of social bias that has resulted in internalized homophobia, and that gay men and lesbians who have accepted their sexual orientation positively are better adjusted than those who have not done so.

The potential risks of "reparative therapy" are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient.

Many patients who have undergone "reparative therapy" relate that they were inaccurately told that homosexuals are lonely, unhappy individuals who never achieve acceptance or satisfaction.

The possibility that the person might achieve happiness and satisfying interpersonal relationships as a gay man or lesbian is not presented, nor are alternative approaches to dealing with the effects of societal stigmatization discussed.

Therefore, the American Psychiatric Association opposes any psychiatric treatment, such as "reparative" or "conversion" therapy which is based upon the assumption that homosexuality per se is a mental disorder or based upon a prior assumption that the patient should change his/her homosexual orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:30 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
illegal aliens followed by abortion.... gays probably want and hope homosexuality to be polarizing....

Oh yeah, it's all apart of the "homo mafia's" GAY AGENDA!!!

REALLY????

If wanting the same marriage/civil union rights as straights, being able to serve in the military, employment discrimination laws, etc, is considered "wanting" to polarize the country than EVERYONE ELSE, (STRAIGHTS, blacks, latinos, women, children, etc) are just as guilty.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:07 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Well according to the CDC:

NSFG - Listing S - Key Statistics from the National Survey of Family Growth

Percent of males and females 25-44 years of age who have ever had anal sex with an opposite sex partner:
Males: 40.0%
Females: 34.7%

Percent of males and females 25-44 years of age in 2002 who had ever had oral sex with an opposite-sex partner:
Males: 90.1%;
Females: 88.3%

+ 1

The conservatives on this board just have very boring sex lives. It's not sanctioned by god unless its done missionary under the covers, lights out, exposing only the essential bits and whilst praying for forgiveness while holding a rosary in one hand and a bible in the other.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I don't thnik the majority of people really thnik about it except for when activist push it in their face.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
+ 1

The conservatives on this board just have very boring sex lives. It's not sanctioned by god unless its done missionary under the covers, lights out, exposing only the essential bits and whilst praying for forgiveness while holding a rosary in one hand and a bible in the other.
And don't forget that apparently sex is only for "procreation", so that must mean they only have sex a few times in their whole lives. Sad really...

Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
No, because at the end of the day I really don't think most straight people care about gay marriage. They maybe have an opinion and vote one way or the other - but if it was legalized, 85% of people would probably just shrug their shoulders and move on.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
illegal aliens followed by abortion.... gays probably want and hope homosexuality to be polarizing....
Are you kidding? Gays above any group want the exact OPPOSITE. I'm gay and don't really care that much about gay marrige (as most gays as well as straights). Sure I think it should be legal because it's such a silly issue to throw a fit about - but I don't know any gay person that WANTS it to be polarizing.

Just legaize it and move on. Gay people don't understand why straight people are SO concerned about gay marriage. I mean I really could care less about other people marrying unless it was my friends - gay or straight. What's the big deal?

All I can tell is that it's about 90% religion getting in the way, and 10% the "eww" factor.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Most liberals believe they, and only they, know the path to "the way, the truth, and the light." They believe that they have a mandate from themselves to convert others to their beliefs. Liberals also believe that their beliefs should be the basis of laws intended for everyone.

I'm sure that there are other dumba#%^* that, if they had the same number of practitioners as liberals, would be equally as polarizing - maybe even more. However, as it stands in the US today, it's the liberals who have earned the distinction of being "most polarizing".
Seriously? Enjoy your bliss!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
If it is we have our priorities skewed beyond belief.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
All religions believe they have the only true religion, and have a mandate to convert others to their beliefs.
To my knowledge, Jews do not proselytize. If you know differently, please enlighten me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies