Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not at all. Do you enjoy the freedom earned and kept by our country's military? Do you travel interstate highways at all? Besides those, there are many more federal government services and benefits that everyone uses and receives, but not everyone pays for them. 47% of American households pay no federal income tax. That 47% are TAKERS.
Nope, they are just unfortunate in terms of their income... I get that some people are "welfare leeches" and so forth, but I'd bet the majority of that 47% simply CAN'T earn enough to qualify for paying federal taxes. Maybe we should be complaining about the low wages, instead of vilifying and being condescending towards these folks.

Btw, I've always had to pay federal taxes, even when I was working part-time. So what is the maximum one can earn without paying these? Just curious, because I didn't even know this "benefit" existed until recently (thanks to CD). And again I ask, should we calculate what each individual is entitled to? I used to pay an exorbitant amount in taxes, so do I get to use the roads more than an average earner? Not in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:38 PM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
As I said in my thread post. I've already backed myself. Try again IC.
Not a single thing you have posted disproves the fact that the 47% who pay no federal income tax are TAKERS.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:40 PM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I get that some people are "welfare leeches" and so forth, but I'd bet the majority of that 47% simply CAN'T earn enough to qualify for paying federal taxes.
...which makes them TAKERS. Again, if they earn so little, their tax burden would be commensurately little. That's how a flat tax works. Earn little; pay little. Earn more; pay more.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,625 times
Quote:
Using or benefitting from government services without paying for them via paying taxes, etc., is TAKING. What about that do you not get?
Quote:
Not at all. Do you enjoy the freedom earned and kept by our country's military? Do you travel interstate highways at all? Besides those, there are many more federal government services and benefits that everyone uses and receives, but not everyone pays for them. 47% of American households pay no federal income tax. That 47% are TAKERS.
Quote:
We should charge everyone a flat tax, at the very least. Everyone should pay the same income tax rate. Earn little; pay little. Earn more; pay more. Everyone should pay for federal government services and benefits. Stop giving the 47% of TAKERS a free ride at the expense of others.
already. Stop blaming the American people for the shortcomings of what America has become.

Right Wing Nut Jobs Talking Point that Skew Facts – “47% of Americans Don’t Pay Taxes” « Politicalmonkey2010

Quote:
First, the 47% figure is not wrong, it is accurate – BUT the key here is federal and income . Income taxes aren’t the only kind of federal taxes that people pay. There are also payroll taxes and investment taxes, and more. Let’s not forget people pay state and local taxes as well. If you tease out this number and take this a step further Congressional Budget Office data suggests that, at most, about 10 percent of all households pay no net federal taxes. The number 10 is obviously a lot smaller than 47. But 10% for the right doesn’t make such a good talking point does it?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
But they pay no federal income tax. As such they are TAKING federal government-provided services and benefits without paying their fair share of the cost.
Oh well... that's the government's problem, not yours, mine or theirs. I don't believe in kicking people when they're down, and certainly don't feel more entitled to anything due to earning higher wages. I've been up and down in my life, earning everything from an excellent salary to pennies - and never did I feel more or less entitled to "using" government services, nor was I any better or worse of a human being. If you are an American citizen, you have the right to use the services provided as you see fit. It's not taking unless you are taking advantage of the system, IMO. What about elderly people on social security? Do you think they're takers too, even if they worked hard their entire lives?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
...which makes them TAKERS. Again, if they earn so little, their tax burden would be commensurately little. That's how a flat tax works. Earn little; pay little. Earn more; pay more.
I actually support a flat tax, so we don't disagree on that point... but I still don't think low-wage earners are "takers," when they are merely doing what is required of them. If anything I think the government is TAKING, since I don't recall giving them permission to spend MY taxes on war.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:46 PM

It's quite obvious who here tallies there SELF-WORTH with money. Just to kindly remind of the topic here. NET-WORTH is different from how one feels about themselves. It's obvious as well who here would kick someone after there down.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Sorry about your luck. Hope you never lose it, or you will perish.

Some more counted how many more to go?

Sorry about my luck? That doesnt even make sence. I decide if i perish or not. Thanks for the assumption though .

Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Taking, as in applied/filled out paperwork to receive tax money paid by people who work for a living....
As I said already, not everyone who earns low wages takes welfare... many just scrape by, and work very hard to earn very little. We need to reform our educational system and minimum wages, then maybe fewer would fall under that poverty line - just a thought.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I actually support a flat tax, so we don't disagree on that point... but I still don't think low-wage earners are "takers," when they are merely doing what is required of them. If anything I think the government is TAKING, since I don't recall giving them permission to spend MY taxes on war.
I'd support a REASONABLE flat tax too. But the tax system as well as the debt is SO very deep in trouble, there is little hope of recovery.

Chinamerica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies