Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should children or adults be held responsible for the actions of their parents or adult relatives?
No, this should never happen 54 83.08%
Yes, in some cases I feel it should take place 11 16.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:31 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,849,970 times

Advertisements

I guess this is a pretty simple question that seems to have been brought up a lot lately with the Dream Act Amnesty failure and I'm wondering how most people feel about this. I know we have an illegal immigration forum but this isn't just about the Dreamers, I'm just asking in general if children or adults should ever be held responsible for the actions of their parents or other relatives.

Is there anything that would cause you to change your stance on the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,122 times
Its not about holding children accountable for their parents decisions, it is about law and sending a message to other illegal immigrants. Having said that, i dont have a problem with letting illegals serve in the military in order to get citizenship. But giving them citizenship for attending college is stupid, especially when they are paying in state tuition and some american citizens are paying out of state tuition. How is that fair?

Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,986 times
No one is responsible for actions they can't control however just because they are put in a situation outside there control dose not mean that they should be given a free pass.
If you are a passenger on a bus the drivers actions effect you.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Its not about holding children accountable for their parents decisions, it is about law and sending a message to other illegal immigrants. Having said that, i dont have a problem with letting illegals serve in the military in order to get citizenship. But giving them citizenship for attending college is stupid, especially when they are paying in state tuition and some american citizens are paying out of state tuition. How is that fair?
No American citizen has to pay out of state tuition though, we are all limited by the states we happen to live in.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:50 PM

88,980 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Think about it... this is EXACTLY what Democrats want. They want to tax heirs on the inheritance their parents or other adult relatives leave them. Democrats are ALL FOR holding children and adults responsible for the actions (in this case, saving and investing) of their parents or adult relatives.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No American citizen has to pay out of state tuition though, we are all limited by the states we happen to live in.
Are you saying that citizens can just go to school in their own state? Thats true, but sometimes people have to go to out of state schools in order to get the education they want. Illinois only has two dental schools and if you cant get in either then you will have to try out of state. Dental schools are also very competetive so this is likey. Either way, i see college as a reward for being an illegal immigrant. We shouldnt reward people for breaking the law.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:29 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,564 times
Dreamies need to stop dreaming and pay full tuition
life is tough dreamies, either get married or go back to Mexico.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
No, but they shouldn't be REWARDED for those actions either. Once a "child" attains their majority it's THEIR choice to do the right thing or remain here illegally (regarding the Dream Act).

Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I guess this is a pretty simple question that seems to have been brought up a lot lately with the Dream Act Amnesty failure and I'm wondering how most people feel about this. I know we have an illegal immigration forum but this isn't just about the Dreamers, I'm just asking in general if children or adults should ever be held responsible for the actions of their parents or other relatives.

Is there anything that would cause you to change your stance on the situation?
We are a nation of laws. Society breaks down when those laws are ignored/aren't enforced and we accommodate the law breakers. I'm more interested in seeing "anchor babies" overturned. I think the "dream act" would have had more support if it was only the military aspect and not college students.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:15 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,849,970 times
Guys I'm not talking strictly about immigration here, this question could be applied to all sorts of things like slavery and racism. I just think it's a little odd that many of the people who claim we shouldn't fault illegal immigrant dreamers for the actions of their parents are the same people who claim that certain groups of people today are still responsible for things that took place 200 years ago in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies