Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 PM

18,862 posts, read 14,042,622 times

Advertisements

Already covered here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...fire-cure.html

Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,367,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I don't know which is more sad; that people are forced to live in tents or you think NBC has "a lot of credibility".
I dunno why you dont think they do. Tom Brokaw is very well respected in the industry and got his start on the Today show and Katie Couric has the CBS Evening News. I'd say that lends toward being a credible tv program.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,730,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I think so. Nobody claimed the 10% unemployed was a small minority, but I submit those who now live in tents certainly are and you know it.

Your thread is typical of those found in the politics forum coming from either direction, an extreme misrepresentation of facts. If we could discover the percentage of Americans permanently living in tents it would make your thread headline look ridiculous.
My point, in case you missed it, was that the 10% unemployed will be sliding off of their benefits, and thereby become candidates for the tent cities, as witness their ever increasing numbers.

Last edited by freefall; 12-28-2010 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,502,637 times
We need more jobs in America. We have been tricked into "free trade' Is free. It has been very costly to most Americans but it has helped the few powerful/wealthy.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,286,063 times
Good jobs are going to China. Just yesterday my friend was telling me about two of our mutual friends who both took jobs in China where they will each be making over $100k. I had two other friends who took jobs in China two months ago making about the same money. They are all originally from China but have been living in the US for 15+ years. I really need to improve my Chinese so I can take advantage of such oppertunities in the future. Jobs always exist. They may move overseas and there is nothing we can do about that. The best thing we can do for ourselves it make sure we meet the requirements to fill those jobs.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:41 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,173,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't care what site posts the link or article, the fact is that it's happening, and The United States government stabbed the American worker in the back.

It needs to haunt every last one of them who voted to ship our jobs overseas and hire illegals to do the work Americans USED to do.
Wait a minute...it wasn't the government who sent these jobs overseas...it was the bean counters and corporations who saw that they could make their stock price and profits rise by doing it. It all comes down to greedy business practices. That will not change no matter what party is in power in the whitehouse.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,330,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Good jobs are going to China. Just yesterday my friend was telling me about two of our mutual friends who both took jobs in China where they will each be making over $100k. I had two other friends who took jobs in China two months ago making about the same money. They are all originally from China but have been living in the US for 15+ years. I really need to improve my Chinese so I can take advantage of such oppertunities in the future. Jobs always exist. They may move overseas and there is nothing we can do about that. The best thing we can do for ourselves it make sure we meet the requirements to fill those jobs.
That's what the European emigrants did in the past when their homelands were experiencing massive poverty and economic hardships...

They went to America, to the "New World"....

These days however, it looks like it is going to be the reverse in the coming years...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,380,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
People living in tents are obviously a very small minority, taking their existence and projecting into it being "The American Dream" is typical shrill hyperbole from doomsday sites like this that get advertising revenue from the tards who click on them.
You are right. Many of them don't have tents.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,380,397 times
Things are suppose to be looking up right! WRONG. I watched 4 different news channels today, each one said the same negative things, cannot get any worse, if you ask me. Housing is going to dip double dip figures, down down and down. And they said that unemployment figures are going to be quite heavy heading into 2011. Way to go, great economy isn't it. This is Obama's idea of doing better, i don't think so, when housing is down, this is not a very good sign. And each station stated double dip figures, tell ya i am not happy. Everyone's property will be getting even lower, then we can imagine, is what was said. This really is not good news.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
So why are so many Americans hurting? Where did all the good jobs go? Well, over the past couple of decades our new "global economy" has encouraged big corporations to move thousands of factories and millions of jobs out of the United States.

Many of the good jobs that these homeless and unemployed Americans used to do are now done on the other side of the world. The ironic thing is that many of the tent cities that have bloomed in communities across the United States are filled with tents that were made in China.

The New American Dream: Sprawling Tent Cities Filled With Tents Made In China
This contains it's own answer. Because Americans are buying all that foreign made crap.

It's like the unemployed spending their unemployment checks at Walmart and complaining they don't have jobs. We can't just blame the big global corporations when we go along with everything they do buy wanting the cheap foreign products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies