Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Please let me REAL clear with you.....I am not whining about anything! Got it?

Also, not many people have a 'better' deal than me. Me and my husband do very well and live a pretty good life - I actually have no complaints. I only have a problem with corrupt, lazy people banning together trying to milk businesses for money that they do not deserve. If that is pathetic in your book, we have nothing in common.

And please do not presume to know anything about me.
I beg to differ. You're whining for the reasons i stated. And you're certainly complaining....if you aren't, then what do you call it?

If you don't like unions, then don't join one. And furthermore, don't buy products that may have been put together in part by union labor. See...it's just that easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 03:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
is this like the USA Today report that said Federal employees make $150K. I call bs until I see actual numbers by actual names.
I'm with ya there...... years ago a company had an article in the paper , and when they quoted what we made we were all in shock...it had nothing to do with our actual pay, way over...I think they even added in the cost per employee for plowing the parking lot....

However, if it's true...then EVERYONE would want to be union!!!!WOW! Look what a union can do for these AMERICANS!!!! AND they all PAY TAXES which aids their community!!! AND they're Not on unemployment or welfare!!!!

YEAHHHHH UNIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:27 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I beg to differ. You're whining for the reasons i stated. And you're certainly complaining....if you aren't, then what do you call it?

If you don't like unions, then don't join one. And furthermore, don't buy products that may have been put together in part by union labor. See...it's just that easy.
Not only will I do that, but I would never hire a union worker in my business. See - problem solved in my little part of the world. Now carry on giving someone else your 'words of wisdom' as I have no complaints with my life....can you say the same?

Old 12-27-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Who said anything about them having low attendance ? How about all those poor low income folk that might want to go see wynton marsalis. That is who the unions claim to be looking out for right?
I'm pretty sure that the Lincoln Center audience wasn't full of rich people. The Jazz at Lincoln Center audience was probably half full of stiffs like me who have enough sense to love jazz above all other forms of music and were willing to pay for it.

And no...the union doesn't claim to look out for the poor. It purports to look out for it's MEMBERS...as it should. That's the whole point of it's existence. Personally, i hope the stagehands make a million dollars a year. Why should i care when some corporation gives a CEO 20 million dollars as a Golden Parachute after running a company in the ground!

Wow...i thought the right wing hated Class Envy. Sure is a lot of it going on around here.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:30 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
From the 14 Points of Fascism by Dr. Britt:

9. Power of corporations protected

Although the personal life of ordinary citizens was under strict control, the ability of large corporations to operate in relative freedom was not compromised. The ruling elite saw the corporate structure as a way to not only ensure military production (in developed states), but also as an additional means of social control. Members of the economic elite were often pampered by the political elite to ensure a continued mutuality of interests, especially in the repression of “have-not†citizens.

10. Power of labor suppressed or eliminated

Since organized labor was seen as the one power center that could challenge the political hegemony of the ruling elite and its corporate allies, it was inevitably crushed or made powerless. The poor formed an underclass, viewed with suspicion or outright contempt. Under some regimes, being poor was considered akin to a vice.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Not only will I do that, but I would never hire a union worker in my business. See - problem solved in my little part of the world. Now carry on giving someone else your 'words of wisdom' as I have no complaints with my life....can you say the same?
LOL...do i sound as if i'm not content?

Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Let me ask..are these the RICH people that the government is going after ?
Those working stiffs that make $200K or more a year ?

Kinda opens your eyes to how skewed everything is these days.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty1 View Post
They may be corrupt and act like a business, and they are no different from say Walmart, GE, Ford, Ikea, etc. Well, there is one slight difference, they stick up for the little guy, and this is something that i approve of.
Organized labor and collective bargaining is one thing, using the organized collective power to extort is another.

The question is how to discern the difference.

Do unions result in better service for the customer?
No.
For example, I've seen mishandling of packages by unionized UPS workers while Fed-Ex non-union drivers were more careful and considerate. (Anecdotal, subjective, and may not be universally applicable)

So in an empirical sense, if one is a customer, unions may not present an improvement. If one has no other choice, then unions may represent a monopoly power bloc, whose costs get shifted to the last guy in line - the customer.

In terms of prosperity, defined as the creation, trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services, unions that hamper that process are not good for America. On the other hand, if unions and their members boost output of usable goods and services, using less resources so more can enjoy then they are good for America.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I think garbage men in NYC can make 6 figures.
I donno how much they are making, but they do have a contract in place that after 20 years or what ever their contract is up, they get $75k per years in pension, tax free. Of course, it adjust to inflation.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:38 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty1 View Post
They may be corrupt and act like a business, and they are no different from say Walmart, GE, Ford, Ikea, etc. Well, there is one slight difference, they stick up for the little guy, and this is something that i approve of.
No they don't. Unions support minimum wage laws which leads to unemployment for the unskilled.

They suppress wages for nonunion workers.

And worst of all, look how they treat "scabs" when they go on strike.

If they were looking out for the "little guy" they would do none of these things.

They are also notoriuosly racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies