Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:00 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
lets play the whole tape through.......
unions keep big business from bringing back sweat shops,having no responsibility for a safe work place,discrimination in hiring,etc.Are you so naive to believe that if there were no unions,that big business would not return to those tactics???
one of the worst supervisors I ever worked for{non-union}was hired straight out of dropping out of college.He was the most egotistical idiot I have ever met.He treated people as if they were dirt.You know how he got his job???He married a VP's daughter.He finally was fired after he slapped a mexican worker across the face and called him a stupid "*******".........
The only way he would have been fired was because our UNION fought to have it done.Without unions..... this is what the average american worker can expect.
Seeing as each of these things you enumerate as reasons to have unions has already been dealt with in regulations and laws, I do not believe businesses would revert to late 19th century and early 20th century methodologies. If, as you contend, the only thing keeping these things from happening is the presence of unions, would they also not occur in great numbers across the United States in places of employment where unions did not exist? They do not. Thus, this argument is non sequitur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
The power of unions: Average stagehand at Lincoln Center in NYC makes $290K a year | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2010/12/power-unions-average-stagehand-lincoln-center-nyc-makes-290k-year - broken link)

I don't even know what to say.. Really, I am totally lost for words.. Someone help me out on this one.

And unions wonder why jobs are being outsourced. If stage hands jobs could be outsourced they would be. They would only have the unions to blame.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:24 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
lets play the whole tape through.......
unions keep big business from bringing back sweat shops,having no responsibility for a safe work place,discrimination in hiring,etc.Are you so naive to believe that if there were no unions,that big business would not return to those tactics???
one of the worst supervisors I ever worked for{non-union}was hired straight out of dropping out of college.He was the most egotistical idiot I have ever met.He treated people as if they were dirt.You know how he got his job???He married a VP's daughter.He finally was fired after he slapped a mexican worker across the face and called him a stupid "*******".........
The only way he would have been fired was because our UNION fought to have it done.Without unions..... this is what the average american worker can expect.

Bullsquat.........OSHA....NFPA.....prevent your scenario to name a few......here is a link to more.....These reg protect the worker and I don't even have to pay usury..I mean dues.
Federal Labor Laws

Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Please let me REAL clear with you.....I am not whining about anything! Got it?

Also, not many people have a 'better' deal than me. Me and my husband do very well and live a pretty good life - I actually have no complaints. I only have a problem with corrupt, lazy people banning together trying to milk businesses for money that they do not deserve. If that is pathetic in your book, we have nothing in common.

And please do not presume to know anything about me.
I'm don't understand why you think a stagehand doesn't deserve his salary?if you are living comfortably,why shouldn't the stagehand also live comfortably?

Some of these posters do smell like jealousy.

If it wasn't for those corrupt lazy people the business would be what it is today. Some of you seem to forget its the workers that make the business successfull,not neccesarily the business owner.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm don't understand why you think a stagehand doesn't deserve his salary?if you are living comfortably,why shouldn't the stagehand also live comfortably?

Some of these posters do smell like jealousy.

If it wasn't for those corrupt lazy people the business would be what it is today. Some of you seem to forget its the workers that make the business successfull,not neccesarily the business owner.
Ok obviously you are young, naive and idealistic,now listen up and you will learn something.....it is not about jealousy , most conservatives believe in the free market. That means we believe that any company or person should be able to make what ever the market can bear. That is not what unions are about. In fact unions are opposed to that, as in the teachers union. Now listen real good, if you apply the nonsensical logic like you just spouted and carry that across the whole products and service market, the cost of goods and services become astronomical to the point where most people can not afford them, which means fewer customers which means less profit which meas fewer employees ..........are you starting to get the picture.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Ok obviously you are young, naive and idealistic,now listen up and you will learn something.....it is not about jealousy , most conservatives believe in the free market. That means we believe that any company or person should be able to make what ever the market can bear. That is not what unions are about. In fact unions are opposed to that, as in the teachers union. Now listen real good, if you apply the nonsensical logic like you just spouted and carry that across the whole products and service market, the cost of goods and services become astronomical to the point where most people can not afford them, which means fewer customers which means less profit which meas fewer employees ..........are you starting to get the picture.
Well obviously the free market is dictating his salary,otherwise he would not be making that much.

So conservatives believe people should work for a living,then when they do work you guys don't want to pay them a living wage,or as I call it"sharing in the pofits"?

Do you really think the lincoln center would be what it is without stagehands? The point is people are coming to see those overpriced shows,so what's the problem?

Maybe you don't want workers sharing in the profits of the company?

Don't you guys know its the workers who make or break a company?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Well obviously the free market is dictating his salary,otherwise he would not be making that much.

So conservatives believe people should work for a living,then when they do work you guys don't want to pay them a living wage,or as I call it"sharing in the pofits"?

Do you really think the lincoln center would be what it is without stagehands? The point is people are coming to see those overpriced shows,so what's the problem?

Ah, but you are wrong. Free market is not dictating his salary, collective bargaining, as its known, is doing so. This same collective bargaining has been the downfall of many American industries. Sharing in the profits actually has a very specific meaning in business, which is when employees get shares in the company. Many management compensation packages include not only a profit sharing package but also options. Also, there are multiple factors that "make or break a company", with the labor force just once facet. Things such as supply and demand, market share, corporate culture, management strategy, tax strategy, etc, etc all can make or break a company, as you say.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

There's nothing "free" about NYC unions.
Let a non union worker even try to work there for 50K less per year which is still pretty good money for the work and hours they put in.
That non union worker would never make it past the front door.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:

Go out and start and operate a business for awhile and then come back and see how much of your own nonsense you really believe. An employee has no "right" to sharing anything, if profit sharing is something that an employer offers as a benefit then so be it, other wise an eployee is entitled to an honest days wages for an honest days work.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's nothing "free" about NYC unions.
Let a non union worker even try to work there for 50K less per year which is still pretty good money for the work and hours they put in.
That non union worker would never make it past the front door.
I still dont understand what is so wrong about a stagehand making that kind of money? Maybe we all should join unions so we can command that salary instead of trying to make his lower.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that I keep hearing "everyone should start a business. What no one mentions is that its nearly impossible for everyone to have a business and the fact about 50% of businesses fail in their first year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies