Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It seems to me that most of you are just jealous because Elton John will probably be a better parent then you could ever hope to be.

You can't be serious! You think a senior citizen will be a better, more engaged parent than a more youthful parent who can engage in vigorous physical activity with the child as he/she grows?
I surely can be serious. Because David Furnish is not a senior citizen.

And because you have no idea if Elton John is physically healthy enough to play with his child.

And because much younger, and also good parents, don't engange in vigourous physical activity with their children at all. What, if someone doesn't run marathons with their kids they are bad parents? How much energy does it take to play catch? What, you suddenly can't throw and catch a ball at 80. If a parent is in a wheel chair, they are suddenly bad, b/c they are unable to engage in vigorous activity?

Why not call a spade a spade? You don't think a GAY man can be a good parent. But you aren't courageous enough to say that, so you are pretending it's about his age. You can be an "engaged parent" without engaging in physcial activity. And, to be honest, the parents that were the least "engaged" in their childrens lifes/thoughts/feelings were all the "sports dads" I knew growing up that would force their kid onto every little league team in existence, and berate them when they didn't excel at every sport. I would rather have a father that knew the name of my best friend than a father that insisted on a "feat of strength" everytime I came home for Xmas.

You don't know his physical health. And vigourous activity is not really the most important thing about being a parent. You are just grasping at straws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I surely can be serious. Because David Furnish is not a senior citizen.

And because you have no idea if Elton John is physically healthy enough to play with his child.

And because much younger, and also good parents, don't engange in vigourous physical activity with their children at all. What, if someone doesn't run marathons with their kids they are bad parents? How much energy does it take to play catch? What, you suddenly can't throw and catch a ball at 80. If a parent is in a wheel chair, they are suddenly bad, b/c they are unable to engage in vigorous activity?

Why not call a spade a spade? You don't think a GAY man can be a good parent. But you aren't courageous enough to say that, so you are pretending it's about his age.

You don't know his physical health. And vigourous activity is not really the most important thing about being a parent. You are just grasping at straws.
I think a younger gay couple could be perfectly good parents. I think this couple is selfish to start a family so late. They offer the child adoration and money but they certainly cannot offer the child the physically engaging, energetic parenting the child deserves. It most likely doesn't matter as the child will most likely be raised by a nanny or two.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I think a younger gay couple could be perfectly good parents. I think this couple is selfish to start a family so late. They offer the child adoration and money but they certainly cannot offer the child the physically engaging, energetic parenting the child deserves. It most likely doesn't matter as the child will most likely be raised by a nanny or two.
Well then, if that is your thought I apologize if I pulled the homophobia card too quickly. While it does explain the postings of most on this board, I suppose you are not guilty of it.

I still feel sorry for you though, that you feel only young people make good parents. Many children are raised by physically handicapped parents. Or Their grandparents. Or by parents who simply are not "athletic". The fact that they may not be super phsycially active with their children, does't really matter. It is one of the least important aspects of child rearing, I would think.

And even if you are right, what makes you think Elton John isn't physcially active at his age? Have you SEEN an elton john show? The man may sit at the piano, but you don't give a 4 hour show with costume changes and dancing and honky tonk without breaking a bit of a sweat.

So I don't agree with your premise, and even if I did, we don't know if it applies to Elton John. And we seem to both agree that David Furnish is not too old to have a child at 48, so really, the child will have at least one active parent. I still say you are grasping at straws.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Congrats to them. I hope one of them lives long enough to see the child grow, graduate high school, graduate from college, get married, and have children. At least the child will want for nothing.
I have to disagree with you about wanting for nothing. I just don't believe men either gay or straight can give kids what a woman can give them. Nope, I just don't think so. I think that God created woman for a reason and that would be to give a kind of love that men can't give.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What do you all think of a 62-year-old man having a child?

I have to wonder if the social conservatives who praised Elton John for being in favor of civil unions instead of same-sex marriage will also praise him for having a child at his age - not to mention the fact that he is gay.

Elton John becomes a dad - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com
Please. He'll be farming out the child's care and probably the only contact he will have will be a "give daddy II a kiss goodnight". These people don't have CHILDREN then have little pets in human form that make them feel all warm and fuzzy about "doing a good thing", etc., etc.

Let's give Old Elton a challenge to care for the child ALONE (no nanny) for a couple of months and see how thrilled he is about having a wee sprout around the mansion.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have to disagree with you about wanting for nothing. I just don't believe men either gay or straight can give kids what a woman can give them. Nope, I just don't think so. I think that God created woman for a reason and that would be to give a kind of love that men can't give.
Well, a few questions for that then.

1) If a woman dies in childbirth, should the father not be allowed to raise the baby, because a woman has to be present for a child to be raised correctly?

2) Doesn't that sort of make God a Dick to kill a woman in childbirth and force a baby into foster care?

3) Does it have to be a mother? Or will any old woman do? Because I know many children with women in their life. They call them Grandma, and Auntie, and Sister, and etc etc. I am guessing you don't think that any woman will get within a 40 mile radius of Elton John's estate?

4) Is a woman a failure if she doesn't have children? I mean, if you say God created women to give love to a child that a man cannot give, then isn't she shirking her duties by not popping out 30 kids? Or is she still a viable member of society as long as she is sexually pleasing men? I ask this in all seriousness b/c many people with your religious convictions tend to believe that women are for sex and babies, and that's pretty much it.

5) If it was God's plan that only women should be able to raise children, why doesn't he do something about it? It seems rather lazy to me. We know god has no problem with killing children indiscriminately, just ask the Egyptians. Why doesn't God just sneak into the bedrooms of little Billy and Suzie and you know...smite them?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
I disagree because I know many children being raised by fathers because they were abanoned by mothers.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
good grief
62 is not old, what are you 20??
my mother is 92 and still going strong!
My grandfather lived to 96. He died in his sleep In Georgia it must be those wonderful Vidalia onions that one chomps on like an apple - with a touch of salt Just can't get enough of them

Doesn't everyone know 60 is the new thirty, and anyone
really under thirty - has A LOT to learn

Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,154 times
Quote:
OMG!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Well, Trader Joe thinks you think too much Elton and David will offer their child what every other parent offers their child:
love, respect, honesty, and wisdom. We can not ask for more than that from our parents - the ones of us who have gotten it are really the luckiest. Don't begrudge - be thankful another child will come into the world loved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies