Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Dear Phil,

Grow the **** up. While few women have had the opportunity to do the entire Oakland Raider football team before reaching 21, I doubt that you would argue that some guy who worked his way through the Dallas Cowgirl Cheerleaders would be called a *****.

Frankly, only social Neanderthals have any expectation of marrying a virgin.
couldn't rep you more. thanks for saying it for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Ok, but why was his sex life on public TV in the first place? He's far, far, far from the only spouse to cheat,

When we want to get Sex Ed in schools, sex is lauded as evil, vile and dirty. When we want to give birth control to out of control teens, sex is something filthy and dirty.

Honestly, I'm a bit worried that the Clinton example may take this thread off course. What about Tiger woods? Paris Hilton? The point here is why is there such a hang up on what people do with their genitalia?
You have to look at the people your talking about, they are celebs. and thats the only reason they are on TV, do the churches run the news stations? nope it's just a story hiped up for entertainment.

When i was in school nobody made sex ed dirty, nobody ever said anything like that, I live in Ca. and nobody is telling kids sex is dirty unless it's their parents, Highschools send girls for abortion without the parents permission.
california must be different than the rest of the states because I've never herd sex is dirty.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Dear Phil,

Grow the **** up. While few women have had the opportunity to do the entire Oakland Raider football team before reaching 21, I doubt that you would argue that some guy who worked his way through the Dallas Cowgirl Cheerleaders would be called a *****.

Frankly, only social Neanderthals have any expectation of marrying a virgin.
I hate to break the news to you, however SOCIETY says you are wrong. I'm not saying the rules are right, however, very few people (you are in a very small minority) of people want someone who is, frankly, a ***** to marry and settle down with.

If you are happy your wife has slept with 200+ persons, so be it and more power to you. That is your choice. However, for the vast majority of persons in the world, they do not want this. Its been like that since the dawn of time. Am I saying its ok for a man to go out and screw 200+ women? Nope, I'm not saying that at all.

In so far as grow the **** up? Well as I've said, numerous times, I've been with ONE woman since age 14 and I am 47 and I'm proud of that fact. In fact, most women would say that is awesome; for I hear it all the time. And yes, I was my wife's first and she was inexperienced. But we learned together, which is why we've been together for 33 yrs.

Once again, like it or not, you are NOT society's norm; far from it. For that matter, neither am I.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I hate to break the news to you, however SOCIETY says you are wrong. I'm not saying the rules are right, however, very few people (you are in a very small minority) of people want someone who is, frankly, a ***** to marry and settle down with.

If you are happy your wife has slept with 200+ persons, so be it and more power to you. That is your choice. However, for the vast majority of persons in the world, they do not want this. Its been like that since the dawn of time. Am I saying its ok for a man to go out and screw 200+ women? Nope, I'm not saying that at all.

In so far as grow the **** up? Well as I've said, numerous times, I've been with ONE woman since age 14 and I am 47 and I'm proud of that fact. In fact, most women would say that is awesome; for I hear it all the time. And yes, I was my wife's first and she was inexperienced. But we learned together, which is why we've been together for 33 yrs.

Once again, like it or not, you are NOT society's norm; far from it. For that matter, neither am I.
No one said anything about being happy that their spouse slept with 200+ people... except you. In fact your earlier example was a pro football team... since when does a football team have more than ~20 guys including benchwarmers? Actually most women would say you are pathetic. Insulation is a hell of a thing. And no, I have not heard you say anything numerous times, this is the first time I am seeing a post of yours. If you are, in fact, spouting off regularly about your exemplary pre-marital and married sexual conduct, please stop. I'll hire the private detective myself to bring you the dish on your...whoops, impending TOS violation, I think I'll leave it there...

Old 12-29-2010, 02:48 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,081 times
Quote:
What makes anyone even think they have this right to dictate sexual norms to everyone else?
Simple. It has a long term negative impact on society. It's as simple as the ineffectiveness of birth control. Even sterilization isn't 100% effective. Even abortion isn't 100% effective. But most men and women don't use those extreme forms of birth control. Most people use the far less effective forms, such as condoms. And what this does is result in millions of unintended pregnancies each year. The result of that is more children being raised by single moms. And in turn more children being left undersupervised. And that increases the likelyhood that more and more of them will turn to crime. And the higher crime rates DO affect me in a very real way.

Also, what happens with a more promiscuous lifestyle, society develops the very attitude that you have... that other people don't have a right to tell us to be responsible.

But we do. When I see someone acting like a moron and it's going to negatively affect them and especially someone else, I must assume that they are ignorant of the facts, so it's my duty to inform them of the negative impact that their idiocy is going to have.

It's a question of responsibility. Alll of these difficult debates are over the definition of responsibility.

In the end, the engine of the sexual revolution was...

the birth control pill.

Without it, there would not have been a sexual revolution. Proof positive that there is a direct cause and effect link between birth control and promiscuity.

Now please don't ready the above as an indicator that I am anti-birth control. Obviously IF you have sex, use the best birth control you can get. But even better than that is to wait until you marry. And don't get married until you find someone who will make an excellent parent and you both are ready to create a stable life together.

Last edited by smartalx; 12-29-2010 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Living in a very very red (religious) state, I hear all the time that birth control will generate promiscuity.

While there isn't ever a whole lot of credible sources to back this up, even if there were, SO WHAT?

I have always wondered what gives anyone the right to tell another adult human being who they can or cannot have sex with, how often they can do it and so on. What gives ANYONE the authority, the right, to determine what ANYONE else can do in our bedrooms (or back-seats, or broom closets or whatever)?

Why are we so hung up on sex. We don't want these people, or those people to have sex, we want to monitor every sexual activity, and take count of every act of sexual "deviance" yet we happily wallow in a consumerist economic system that uses sex to sell everything from toothpaste to cars.

We can't see a set of boobs on TV, but it's perfectly fine and dandy to use sex ALL the time in every other ad to talk people into buying the next hot thing. I can see obvious issues such as age limits, but that's nowhere near where it stops. Grown adults are dissected under the moral microscope all the time, some of you want to make constitutional amendment that dictate what adults can do behind closed doors.

What makes anyone even think they have this right to dictate sexual norms to everyone else?

You think it's wrong for me to tell you what is right and wrong?

Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What does any of that have to do with birth control?
The OP made the connectioni when he said...

While there isn't ever a whole lot of credible sources to back this up, even if there were, SO WHAT?

So this topic isn't about the connection between birth control and promiscuity (which can not be denied because the pill led the way for the sexual revolution.) It's about why people feel it's their right to tell other people not to be promiscuous.

Last edited by smartalx; 12-29-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Is it empty and unfulfilling because it is, or because God says so?
Actually, it is AND God tells us not to have pre-marital sex BECAUSE it is empty and unfulfilling.

When you marry and you are not a virgin, you lose something... that first time intimacy on your wedding night.

That might not be important to you... but how do you know its importance if you haven't felt it? How do you know the effect of your marriage if you aren't one of the people who were virgins when they married.

I know a lot of people who were virgins when they married and they tell me point of fact that the fact that they waited had a VERY big effect on the intimacy of their relationship. When they finally did have sex on their wedding night, it really did bring their relationship to a whole new level.

You'll never understand that because you ruined it the first time you had sex.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:06 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Simple. It has a long term negative impact on society. It's as simple as the ineffectiveness of birth control. Even sterilization isn't 100% effective. Even abortion isn't 100% effective. But most men and women don't use those extreme forms of birth control. Most people use the far less effective forms, such as condoms. And what this does is result in millions of unintended pregnancies each year. The result of that is more children being raised by single moms. And in turn more children being left undersupervised. And that increases the likelyhood that more and more of them will turn to crime. And the higher crime rates DO affect me in a very real way.

Also, what happens with a more promiscuous lifestyle, society develops the very attitude that you have... that other people don't have a right to tell us to be responsible.

But we do. When I see someone acting like a moron and it's going to negatively affect them and especially someone else, I must assume that they are ignorant of the facts, so it's my duty to inform them of the negative impact that their idiocy is going to have.

It's a question of responsibility. Alll of these difficult debates are over the definition of responsibility.

In the end, the engine of the sexual revolution was...

the birth control pill.

Without it, there would not have been a sexual revolution. Proof positive that there is a direct cause and effect link between birth control and promiscuity.

Now please don't ready the above as an indicator that I am anti-birth control. Obviously IF you have sex, use the best birth control you can get. But even better than that is to wait until you marry. And don't get married until you find someone who will make an excellent parent and you both are ready to create a stable life together.
Well as I already said, who gets to draw the line between preventing promiscuity and dictating sex lives to everyone. The problem lies in figuring out just what promiscuity is. While there are some obvious cases of sexual loose cannons, most people employ responsibility, yet are still labeled as being promiscuous.

Responsible people don't need other people to tell them to be responsible. Those who are sexually "irresponsible", like the aforementioned woman who endured a 200 man train are usually people with things like borderline personality disorder. In which case they need to seek help more than simply be branded with a label like sl*t or wh*re.

It's a bit of a stretch for me to associate crime rates with sex. Crime rates have many elements such as income, location, education and so on. Children of single mothers are more the symptom than the cause. Often times they come from a lack of birth control, lack of sex ed, abstinence only teaching and parents who are already living in these kinds of conditions. Even then, not every one night stand and out of wedlock hay-roll fits into this.

the rates of crime and birth are indications of larger social problems. Assuming for a moment that the conditions you outlined here (high birth/crime rates) are matters of personal responsibility, why is there such a rash of personal irresponsibility?

The other line that is hard to draw is the line between the "duty" to inform people of their responsibility and judging people unnecessarily/ throwing labels to push an agenda.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:11 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You think it's wrong for me to tell you what is right and wrong?
I don't necessarily think it's wrong. I am asking what gives anyone the right to dictate. Do I have the right to tell you who you can and can't have sex with, how you should part your hair, what kind of car you can drive or house you can live in just because I think it's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies