Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Pro-abortion people hate welfare babies.

No, they do not. They may want to prevent welfare babies, but I doubt that they hate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sure it is. But as of now, my assumptions are usually proven to be correct and what they're actually saying is rarely if ever misunderstood by me.

When my percentage of false assumptions actually goes up, i'll do it your way.
Soooo, your assumption that someone hates the poor is wrong, I would say, considering you have never asked someone if they hate the poor, nor have you been proven correct without having to ask. Therefore, your percentage of false assumptions in this case is 100%.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
WELL then you better start paying the governement for all the public school education you received FOR FREE. WHY am I forced to pay for education of POOR children when mine attend private school???

Oh yeah, this is AMERICA.
How do you know that we don't all have our kids in private school, homeschool or something similar?

Quote:

COOL so then you want free Abortions for anyone who wants them. Because that is a sure way to shrink the baby population.
Another sure way to shrink the baby population would be to give free birth control implants to people on welfare, like another poster suggested. Way to go to extremes.

Quote:

BTW you all know there is no more Welfare RIGHT? You just don't GET FREE MONEY anymore.

Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bill added a workforce development component to welfare legislation, encouraging employment among the poor. The bill was a cornerstone of the Republican Contract With America and was introduced by Rep. E. Clay Shaw, Jr. (R-FL-22) who believed welfare was partly responsible for bringing immigrants to the United States.[1] Bill Clinton signed PRWORA into law on August 22, 1996, fulfilling his 1992 campaign promise to "end welfare as we know it".[2] PRWORA instituted Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) which became effective July 1, 1997. TANF replaced Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program which had been in effect since 1935 and also supplanted the Job Opportunities and Basic Skills Training (JOBS) program of 1988. The law was heralded as a "reassertion of America's work ethic" by the US Chamber of Commerce, largely in response to the bill's workfare component. TANF was reauthorized in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005.

• Ending welfare as an entitlement program;
  • Requiring recipients to begin working after two years of receiving benefits;
  • Placing a lifetime limit of five years on benefits paid by federal funds;
  • Aiming to encourage two-parent families and discouraging out-of-wedlock births.
  • Enhancing enforcement of child support.
TANF does not require recipients to work after two years, from what I understand, but even if that was true, why should we even give them two years?? The lifetime limit of 5 years is correct. It does not encourage two-parent families, it only encourages suing your ex for child support, which is a requirement of the program. It is still an entitlement program. As are food stamps. As is section 8. As is Medicaid. As is SSI and SSDI, which are being defrauded by many. As is the free cell phone program, utility programs and anything else you can probably think of.

Remember, laws and enforcement of the laws are two different things. If they were one and the same, we would have a heck of a lot less Mexicans here right now.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,958 times
How about Cubans? Would we have a heck of a lot less Cubans here right now? Oh. That's right. Wet food dry foot. Never could understand why the Cubans were so against the Mexicans. Do they think the Mexicans have more babies, or more welfare babies? What's up with the dislike of Mexicans?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
How about Cubans? Would we have a heck of a lot less Cubans here right now? Oh. That's right. Wet food dry foot. Never could understand why the Cubans were so against the Mexicans. Do they think the Mexicans have more babies, or more welfare babies? What's up with the dislike of Mexicans?
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2009.pdf

See page 4.

There are 6.6 million illegal Mexicans here (estimated, obviously) out of the 10.7 million illegals here in total. I cited a statistic everyone is familiar with, it has nothing to do with disliking Mexicans.

The Cubans were not calculated in the statistics due to them being able to apply for legal resident status after one year. I don't agree with this, but that's yet another wacky rule that has yet to be addressed by our current administration.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Soooo, your assumption that someone hates the poor is wrong, I would say, considering you have never asked someone if they hate the poor, nor have you been proven correct without having to ask. Therefore, your percentage of false assumptions in this case is 100%.
Hmmm, that's an interesting take on my comments.

But Naaah...you guys pretty much hate the poor.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
WELL then you better start paying the governement for all the public school education you received FOR FREE. WHY am I forced to pay for education of POOR children when mine attend private school???

Oh yeah, this is AMERICA.

COOL so then you want free Abortions for anyone who wants them. Because that is a sure way to shrink the baby population.

BTW you all know there is no more Welfare RIGHT? You just don't GET FREE MONEY anymore.
I didn't go to public school and my dad worked to support his kids.

And no - if more people opt to be sterilized so they can live on welfare programs, there would be fewer abortions. Imagine that - by offering tubal ligations and vasectomies or norplant injections - fewer babies are killed. Fewer babies are abused by drug addict parents, fewer babies are neglected.

In fact one reason I'm in favor of encouraging sterilization for some such as meth addicts are the horrendous child abuse cases we've seen lately. In Brownsville a couple sawed off the heads of their 3 children.

TANF is only one of many welfare programs. TANF is the cash payment to reward single mothers for giving birth. But that's hardly the only government handout they're given - food stamps, WIC, free housing, and much more are not limited.

I can see your point that welfare women should continue to be encouraged to have kids they can never support if you have some religious believe that all birth control is wrong, and that fornication should be encouraged - but I don't know what religion that would be.

And since the single mothers getting pregnant aren't listening to any religion as far as fornication, it would be inconsistent that they only listen to the part about birth control.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Anybody here know anything about the "Poorhouses" and the "County Farms" where poor and indigent peope were basically "incarcerated" prior to the New Deal? Do you know what they did with "welfare babies" back then, and that many of you are advocating for changes which would take us back to that time of horrendous conditions for the needy?

The Poorhouse: Aunt Winnie, Glenn Beck, And The Politics Of The New Deal

Old 12-29-2010, 10:26 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
get rid of welfare and bring in workfare

but the liberals wont have that

liberals can never understand ""Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.. and wanting it more and more..... Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ""

Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
get rid of welfare and bring in workfare

but the liberals wont have that

liberals can never understand ""Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.. and wanting it more and more..... Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ""
So you want to go back to the good old days of incarcerating our poor in "Poorhouses" and county farms......with all the other problems which accompany a population living in dire poverty? Get that idea from Glenn Beck? Of course, you should be aware that "welfare babies" were not sent to Poorhouses, but were taken away from their parents and given to other people.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies