U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-14-2007, 07:26 PM

105 posts, read 204,953 times
Default Stop Killing Animals Just Because We Can

What is wrong with our current leadership? A new proposal by the Bush/Cheney administration is too kill wolves.For more info on this proposal please go to this link:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/120490287

I just cant figure out what is wrong with this picture, we send people over to another country to interfere with their battles and have our own troops dying in a land where nobody wants to be, and now these stupid proposals of killing the wolves in yellowstone and other states because they are in the way.My question is,Who are they bothering? My answer is, The ranchers that put their livestock there because the land is cheap and the rich people that want to live in the middle of nowhere and let their little french poodle outside without it being turned into an appetizer.
If these people want to move to places like that then they need to live with nature and not destroy it, i feel safer camping in the wilderness with wolves howling not far away than i do walking down the street in Phoenix arizona.
Where are the politicians.Oh yeah they are showing us that they can protect us from wolves and animals that cant fight back but why cant they protect us from the violence of the cities and illegal border crossings.
I say spend the time and money making our streets safer and leave mother nature alone.Yeah we are strong and powerful, klling helpless animals but we cant stop the criminals carrying weapons.PLease read the link i provided, they need 50,000 signatures and in the last 24 hours have received over 2000 .Lets let our leaders know what the real pressing matters are in this country, its not the wolves of Yellowstone, it is the crime on our streets, lets put our tax money to better use and also bring our troops home where they belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-14-2007, 07:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,493,074 times
Bu$h and Cheney need to kill stuff....
The Wolves are a threat to homeland security
and the 'merikan peeple. We need to surge on this
threat to merkins.
They finally found something to kill that wont fight
back so they are going to legislate the killin' while they
still can.

Unread 07-14-2007, 07:41 PM

I just dont know.Do the leaders of this country all have A.D.D or am i just not totally understanding what the big picture is.Why kill these animals that the Native Americans worshipped and made so many wonderful paintings and drawings of, they understood life and we are just a confused nation that needs are leaders to listen to the people like leaders of the past use to.
What would Teddy Roosevelt say if he knew that the place he made into a National Park is now going to be turned into a killing ground.He understood the beauty and majesty of the Yellowstone Park and all of its inhabitants, but our current administration wants to put their nose into what should just be left alone for mother nature to take care of.
I am goin up to Montana and Wyoming to get away from the insanity of the city for 2 1/2 weeks on july 21st and cant wait to camp in a tent to hear nature and live in its beauty, but some people want to destroy it.Leave it alone!

Unread 07-14-2007, 08:20 PM

11,442 posts, read 8,008,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
I just dont know.Do the leaders of this country all have A.D.D or am i just not totally understanding what the big picture is.Why kill these animals that the Native Americans worshipped and made so many wonderful paintings and drawings of, they understood life and we are just a confused nation that needs are leaders to listen to the people like leaders of the past use to.
What would Teddy Roosevelt say if he knew that the place he made into a National Park is now going to be turned into a killing ground.He understood the beauty and majesty of the Yellowstone Park and all of its inhabitants, but our current administration wants to put their nose into what should just be left alone for mother nature to take care of.
I am goin up to Montana and Wyoming to get away from the insanity of the city for 2 1/2 weeks on july 21st and cant wait to camp in a tent to hear nature and live in its beauty, but some people want to destroy it.Leave it alone!
From what I've heard Yellowstone is getting more overrun with tourists every year. I was there in 1962, when it was relatively peaceful. Apparently the park administrators want to make the park "safer". Many people are terrified of wolves, probably because they know very little about wolves. The same for spiders and snakes.
Wolves are some very interesting creatures and I don't think they should be wiped out.
Nature is not the horrifying domain of deadly, bloodthirsty beasts, as many people want to believe. But how can you change these solidified opinions?
I also go camping, as far away from the crowds as I can get. I haven't encountered any attacking animals yet.
For those people who want to live in areas close to nature, they should allow nature to exist as it is. Learn to adapt. There are many easy ways to protect their pets from wild animals.
As for the ranchers with grazing livestock, aren't they already getting a terrific deal from the government as regards to price per acre?
Yellowstone is in Wyoming, Dick Cheney's home state. Wonder what kind of influence that will have.

Unread 07-14-2007, 09:39 PM

Thank you VISVALDIS. I lived in northern Wisconsin and spend many hours hunting and fishing and alot of times i would run into bears within 20 feet of me in the dark and never once was i attacked.I also spent alot of time in areas where they reintroduced wolves and could hear them and see their prints but was never attacked.
On the other hand , i will tell everyone what will happen if they do this because it is exactly what happened in Wisconsin and why they reintroduced the wolf.Once the wolves are controlled or gone, the wild dogs and coyotes will get larger in population and coyotes and wild dogs are far more apt to cause problems for humans.Any time you get a pack of dogs or coyotes together they will attack anything.
Thank you for your input on this, i just wish people wouldnt base all their beliefs on movies or books that they red when they were little.All we can do is try and make people realize that "The big bad wolf is not a good depiction of this animal".For anyone that has not seen a wolf, please go to the the grizzly and wolf center in west yellowstone or read any study you can find on these animals and then compare how many people they kill compared to how many humans kill humans.We are what we need to worry about, not the animals.They are the least of our worries.

Unread 07-14-2007, 09:50 PM

16,718 posts, read 19,386,647 times
Living in Wyoming, we hear a little different story in the papers and on the news.

Wolves used to run pretty freely and the people almost exterminated all of them. The state finally put a stop to shooting wolves. They were almost extinct in this region.

Now, the packs have really mulitplied and have become quite large. The problem is that the wolves are taking out the other critters. Deer, Elk, Bison. And some are ranging far off of the park into cattle ranches and such. The trouble with that is, a wolf is notorious for killing a cow. Eating 3 or 4 bites, and then going after another cow. They seem to have the urge to hunt and kill more then they do the urge to satisfy their hunger. This is attributed to only a few wolves. Usually a dominate Alpha Male.

A few ranchers have gotten permits to protect their herds of cattle. Nobody can just shoot a wolf. You have to have a permit, and the permit says what you can shoot and what you can't shoot. You have to be protecting your herd. If a wolf is stalking your cows, you can take it out, but only with a permit. You can't just roam the hills and hunt wolves.

There's not a lot of these permits being given out. You have to prove a large loss of your herd before they'll ever listen to you.

Unread 07-14-2007, 09:56 PM

2,267 posts
I have to say up front that I have never looked into this so I am asking...I didn't think wolves bothered people?

In Texas you heard of coyotes bothering livestock and such if they lived far enough out or didn't take care...but what on earth is the problem here?

I could see if the wolves were attacking people, then maybe something should be done...like giving them more space, keeping people out of their areas.

I have never understood the SPORT of killing live things. How can this be fun to people?

I think Cheney happened on a trend...lets set all the lawyers loose in the woods and shoot at them instead...chances are they HAVE done something really agredous that they deserve to be shot at for.

Unread 07-14-2007, 09:59 PM

13,290 posts, read 14,545,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I have to say up front that I have never looked into this so I am asking...I didn't think wolves bothered people?

In Texas you heard of coyotes bothering livestock and such if they lived far enough out or didn't take care...but what on earth is the problem here?

I could see if the wolves were attacking people, then maybe something should be done...like giving them more space, keeping people out of their areas.

I have never understood the SPORT of killing live things. How can this be fun to people?

I think Cheney happened on a trend...lets set all the lawyers loose in the woods and shoot at them instead...chances are they HAVE done something really agredous that they deserve to be shot at for.
Or...people who drive Expeditions ;-)

Unread 07-14-2007, 10:51 PM

14,073 posts, read 13,951,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post

Really, there are coyotes where I live -you just keep your dogs safe and it's fine. You don't run out and kill things with guns....oh, except Cheney does...

Unread 07-15-2007, 03:57 AM

5,465 posts, read 7,306,455 times
I recently found out that people kill squirrels in a lot of places.

That really saddened me. Squirrels are cute, funny little furry animals. Yeah, they can dig holes in yards -- but who cares?

Even golf courses could expand beyond the usual 18-hole affair and offer 35 or 190 holes...

I'm sorry, but I can't support killing squirrels... And, as soon as I have the money, I'd like to invite everyone to visit my 4,905,708 hole golf course!

(P.S. I can't support killing wolves either.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies