Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,089,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
100% agreed!!!!
\\

Are you too saying that federal prosecutors would enter into a "crooked" plea bargain deal in order to benefit the defendant after his sentence was served?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Because, for one thing they wouldn't have gotten the over one million dollar money settlement which went to caring for dogs. Also, it saves the government a lot of money to take a plea rather than prosecute a high profile case, not to mention that had the government messed up or a technicality went the wrong way Vick could have walked.

No prosecutor worth her/his paycheck turns down a sure thing. About the only time a deal is never offered is in a 1st degree murder case or a very serious sex crime like rape or child sexual abuse.
There was no $1 million "settlement." According to sources I was able to find, below is the amount of money he was fined. Vick MAY HAVE donated $1 million to the Humane Society, but as far as I can tell, that was NOT part of his sentence, therefore, was NOT part of any "plea deal."

"Along with the prison term, Vick was fined $5,000 and will serve three years' probation after his release.
Two co-defendants were sentenced Nov. 30. Purnell Peace, of Virginia Beach, got 18 months. Phillips, of Atlanta, got 21 months."

Apologetic Vick gets 23-month sentence on dogfighting charges - NFL - ESPN

This was the plea deal. Nothing here about $1 million.

"The maximum term is five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, although federal sentencing guidelines likely would call for less. Defense attorneys would not divulge details of the plea agreement or how much time Vick can expect to serve.
However, a source close to the situation told ESPN's Kelly Naqi that prosecutors will recommend a sentence of 12 to 18 months.
The official said such a sentence would be more than what is usually recommended for first-time offenders, reflecting the government's attempt to show that animal abusers will receive more than a slap on the wrist. U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson is not bound by prosecutors' recommendations or the sentencing guidelines and will have the final say"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2983121

Last edited by Perlier; 12-29-2010 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 12-29-2010, 06:58 PM

544 posts, read 1,055,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Vick has had a great year. Lets be fair about it. He is the horse power in the Eagles O. Unfortunately for me because I don't like the Eagles. LOL
Obama called the man. Is it a crime? Last time I checked, no.
The dog thing. As a dog lover I am appalled by Vick and what he did. I often wonder what his chat with the prison shrink were about or the parole board.
Parole board:Mr. Vick why did you abuse all those dogs?
Mr. Vick: I couldn't help myself.
Parole Board: Why is that Mr. Vick?
Mr. Vick: Well as a child I was molested by dogs. Licking me, sniffing my private parts, a little dog once did the nasty to my leg and everything.
Parole board : They just stare at Mr. Vick
Mr. Vick: See this is what I am talking about, because of what dogs did to me I feel everyone stares at me.
How can we not have compassion for such a tortured soul?

Oh wait...he called the man? i thought he held a press conference in the Oval office and declared Dec.29 Michael Vick day and signed a decree that we must all wear Eagles gear....so none of that is ture? what the hell am i going to do with this jersey i just got

Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,803,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
What difference does it make if Vick did have people helping him stay on the "stright and narrow"? ALL THAT MATTERS is that he does so.

Are you suggesting that federal prosecutors would be involved in a plea deal so that a defendant could end up with a successful career situation? You guys are really stretching.
No, the stretch is yours in a failed attempt to twist my words. I suggested no such thing.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, the stretch is yours in a failed attempt to twist my words. I suggested no such thing.
THESE are your words from Post #136:

"The plea bargain was set up to ensure just the situation Vick has now, a lucrative NFL career with minimum time off the field."

So exactly what do your words mean? You do know that the prosecutor has a say in what the plea bargain will be, don't you? And ultimately the judge decides what the sentence will be, but the prosecutor makes a recommendation, so HOW was "the plea bargain...set up to ensure just the situation Vick has now"...without involving the federal prosecutors? The very wording "plea bargain was set up to ensure" implies wrong-doing, so please explain to us exactly what those words mean to you and what you meant by using them.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,272,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
There was a time when an athlete and a gentleman were one and the same, and every athlete knew instinctively that s/he was a role model.

Vick copped a plea because, had he allowed it to go to court, a helluva lot more bad stuff would have come out.

Vick shouldn't even be allowed to attend a professional sporting event, much less participate in one.
That's bull there have ALWAYS been athletes that caroused off the field. The difference between now and the past it that athletes were protected by the press. Guys like Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, were known to have never saw a drink or well turned ankle that they didn't pass op. Ty Cobb was an adamant racist. Yet the press depicted then as "All American" role models.

The press now gets more publicity and eyeballs in the 24 hour television and internet driven world we live in by sensationalizing the off field behavior or athletes so the transgressions of any well known athlete are now IMMEDIATE MEDIA EVENTS.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,811,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
As if people needed another reason to dislike Obama, now he's happy that the Eagles have given Vick a second chance. Really? This is something the POTUS needs to be weighing in on? And more importantly, why?

With so many people (myself included) who can never forget the crimes that Vick committed against helpless animals... torture, electrocution, drowning, etc., should Obama really be throwing his opinion into the ring and opening himself up to more criticism?

I get the whole "he paid his dues to society" BS, but that doesn't warm my heart at night knowing that he's raking in millions of dollars just two years after being released from prison for animal cruelty charges that he pleaded guilty to. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to earn money and live his life (although if it were up to me he would have gotten the death penalty for his crimes), but it doesn't make me happy either. Regardless, I don't think it was wise of Obama to throw his support behind Vick, a convicted animal torturer.
maybe it's just that obama understands the concept of forgiveness, and decides that he really gets nothing out of holding something against a person for the rest of their life

then again, it's not as if michael vick NEEDS anybody's forgiveness. to put it bluntly, he probably couldn't give two damns about people who are holding grudges against him. he did wrong, he's apologized, he's paid/paying his debt to society, and his career is still thriving. i'm pretty sure the man isn't losing any sleep over your judgment. he's a few million dollars richer than you to really care.

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, VICK!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,272,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Likely he was fishing for Pro-bowl tickets.
The President of the United States doesn't need to fish for ANYTHING related to attending sporting events. In fact for the rest of his life Presdent Obama is likely to get into any sporting event of his choosing. A phone call is made and it's done. Bush 41, Bush 43 and Clinton are regulars at luxury boxes when they attend sporting events.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,811,200 times
so you want the man to face the death penalty because of what he did to some puppy dogs....you people need help.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,323,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
so you want the man to face the death penalty because of what he did to some puppy dogs....you people need help.
you don't think he should be burned at the stake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies