Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

Pretty popular opinion whether it is true or not. It might even be popular among some people who don't know they are poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagbardCeline View Post
That sounds like the poor in Stockholm, maybe. It certainly isn't the case for the poor here in Milwaukee...
It is too cold to be poor in Milwaukee.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Oh I see, you haven't read the posts in this thread, or the thread America's Hatred Of The Poor, etc., etc.

If a human were that close in proximity to you, he could reach out and pat you on the head.

Liberals - that is what makes it suspect. Liberals have never been inclusive. Liberals promote separatism and identify humans by skin color first.

So now we're expected to believe that liberals are inclusive of ALL the poor, and are acknowledging that all the poor face the same challenges.

Poor whites used to be white trash according to liberals. They were in that situation of their own doing because by virtue of their skin color alone, they should be mega successful.

From separatism to classism. It's quite amusing actually.

Liberals see an entirely new target market....that of the unemployed. White unemployed. Oddly, there has been no concern over the ridiculously high black unemployment rate.

So liberals have a new market of folks to turn into pets.
So, you can't produce threads/posts to back up your claims (as usual). Okay.

Interesting how you turn everything around exactly opposite of the truth and try to label it "liberal". That's why I will try to ignore your posts in the future. Not worth my time.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:44 PM

131 posts, read 209,148 times
It's currently 51 degrees in the fourth poorest big city in the country.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:56 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagbardCeline View Post
It's currently 51 degrees in the fourth poorest big city in the country.
Sorry, I just assumed an unaltered jet stream.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/JetStream.aspx

Last edited by ergohead; 12-31-2010 at 10:04 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 02:00 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Some on here seem to blame it all on the poor.
Some on here don't blame the poor at all.
Everyone owns a measure of their life and how it plays out.
5 kids grew up on a small farm and dirt poor. We would get a dollar for our birthday and thought we were rich.
3 went to college. Worked their way through 2 RN's and one for business.
1 ( me) went in the service.
1 went into construction.
None of us are poor today and all have pretty good retirements coming our way.
Now some would say we were lucky. I say luck is a word losers use to describe why winners win.
Some people through no fault of their own fall on hard times. A friend of mine worked for a company that made music cd's and before that cassettes. Well that company gave them 9 months notice. 5 years short of retirement my friend is now unemployed. Not his fault.
Now he never contributed to the company retirement plan and he never invested in his own. This is his fault. He didn't save up a nest egg he liked fishing out of state and thought nothing would ever change. He owns this.
Girls getting pregnant as teens. Well it took 2 and it happened. But to say its not her fault would be a lie. We all know about birth control and condoms. She made a bad choice maybe several. Is it her fault the man in question bailed on her? Only in that she chose poorly. Her family throws her out. Not her fault that her family are idiots. Certainly not the babies fault either. The only one in this scenario that isn't to blame is the baby.
Women who marry convicts. Well how did they not know the prospects of him getting a good job were slim? I mean who would trust a former drug dealer? Happens everyday though.
No its not all the poors fault and certainly most poor didn't wake up one day and decide to career welfare.
But to say its not their fault or they don't own a measure of blame is as wrong as saying that every poor person deserves it or that its all their own fault.
Not everyone is born with an IQ of 150. Not everyone has the inner strength to dig deep and tough out working 2 or 3 low end jobs. But everyone was born free in this country. Free to decide their direction and free decide each and every next step. Some just do it better than others.
My friend I talked about earlier. We have been friends since grade school. He grew up middle class, joined the service like I did, owned a home before I did and he is a good man. He just planned for emergencies poorly.
Guess what he also blames himself.
You may have not actually been poor. Alot of people have a perception that they were poor as children and were actually middle class.
If your family owned the land you worked on you certainly were never poor.
People who are poor don't own there own roof, and much less a piece of land.

At the same time alot of ppl who were raised poor never realize they are poor. I grew up very poor, most of the time we grossed less than half the poverty level, and we didn't own a farm to grow food on. Hustling to survive is embedded in me. At 10 I was too young to work so I was participating in scams I learned from family, friends, and mentors to help provide for the family.

Stealing from stores and returning the items for bus fares, selling food stamps for rent money, fixing craps games at school for other ppls free lunches and than putting them in my backpack and skipping the rest of the day so I can put them in the fridge for dinner. Selling bootleg tapes, anything you can imagine outside of any drug dealing or violent crime. We even had a crew, me and my friends all ran scams together and split the cash to maximize our cashflow.

This is how I ate at night. Notice at night. Eating one good meal every day during the summer was mission accomplished.
If I didn't fix a craps game during the day or sell some tapes, or return some stolen items I did not eat. I slept on the floor almost my whole life, owning a mattress was never a priority for anyone in our family. We only got ones when they were given to us.

However I never knew I was ever even poor till I was almost in my 20s. I thought I was middle class, cause most ppl I know lived like me or just a little better, but at the same time I knew alot of homeless kids and kids whose parents were crackheads that were REALLY destitute, and really had terrible lives. Rotten teeth, skinning bones, holes in shoes and only a pair of clothes, I'm describing some kids I went to school with, only 10 and already every tooth in there mouth is rotten and they always smell like dirt, literally. Compared to them I was rich and my life was easy.

Perception is everything.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:08 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Absolutely!

There are so many jobs and business opportunities out there it's difficult to fill the demand.

If even half these positions could be filled, this economy would take off like a rocket!

I'm not kidding, man.

I heard there's a need for 100 million home security guards.

There would be even more if people would take spaying their dogs more seriously.
I would like to see a link to back up these stats.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:00 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Oh I see, you haven't read the posts in this thread, or the thread America's Hatred Of The Poor, etc., etc.

If a human were that close in proximity to you, he could reach out and pat you on the head.

Liberals - that is what makes it suspect. Liberals have never been inclusive. Liberals promote separatism and identify humans by skin color first.

So now we're expected to believe that liberals are inclusive of ALL the poor, and are acknowledging that all the poor face the same challenges.

Poor whites used to be white trash according to liberals. They were in that situation of their own doing because by virtue of their skin color alone, they should be mega successful.

From separatism to classism. It's quite amusing actually.

Liberals see an entirely new target market....that of the unemployed. White unemployed. Oddly, there has been no concern over the ridiculously high black unemployment rate.

So liberals have a new market of folks to turn into pets.
1) There are no posts promoting hatred of the middle class. Most posters are middle class.

2) Liberals are generally more inclusive. The whole desegregation movement and gay marriage movement are both examples of that.

3) Liberals were fighting for universal healthcare (since while we spend more per capita on healthcare than any other nation yet have the highest rates of uninsured individuals in the developed nation...it just makes sense that we better utilize our money). Liberals were fighting for unemployment benefits to help the poor. Liberals, in CA, tried to make cuts in our prisons in order to save our UC system (the world's most prestigious public university system)...thus tuition would not increase and allow poor people to take advantage of the UC.

4)There has been concern with the high black unemployment rate. Hence the fight for unemployment benefits (regardless of race). It's not a black or white issue.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Some on here seem to blame it all on the poor.
Some on here don't blame the poor at all.
Everyone owns a measure of their life and how it plays out.
5 kids grew up on a small farm and dirt poor. We would get a dollar for our birthday and thought we were rich.
3 went to college. Worked their way through 2 RN's and one for business.
1 ( me) went in the service.
1 went into construction.
None of us are poor today and all have pretty good retirements coming our way.
Now some would say we were lucky. I say luck is a word losers use to describe why winners win.
Some people through no fault of their own fall on hard times. A friend of mine worked for a company that made music cd's and before that cassettes. Well that company gave them 9 months notice. 5 years short of retirement my friend is now unemployed. Not his fault.
Now he never contributed to the company retirement plan and he never invested in his own. This is his fault. He didn't save up a nest egg he liked fishing out of state and thought nothing would ever change. He owns this.
Girls getting pregnant as teens. Well it took 2 and it happened. But to say its not her fault would be a lie. We all know about birth control and condoms. She made a bad choice maybe several. Is it her fault the man in question bailed on her? Only in that she chose poorly. Her family throws her out. Not her fault that her family are idiots. Certainly not the babies fault either. The only one in this scenario that isn't to blame is the baby.
Women who marry convicts. Well how did they not know the prospects of him getting a good job were slim? I mean who would trust a former drug dealer? Happens everyday though.
No its not all the poors fault and certainly most poor didn't wake up one day and decide to career welfare.
But to say its not their fault or they don't own a measure of blame is as wrong as saying that every poor person deserves it or that its all their own fault.
Not everyone is born with an IQ of 150. Not everyone has the inner strength to dig deep and tough out working 2 or 3 low end jobs. But everyone was born free in this country. Free to decide their direction and free decide each and every next step. Some just do it better than others.
My friend I talked about earlier. We have been friends since grade school. He grew up middle class, joined the service like I did, owned a home before I did and he is a good man. He just planned for emergencies poorly.
Guess what he also blames himself.
I want to reiterate that owning property already means that you were not poor. If you grew up in say Compton, you and your friends would have a less likely shot at being at your current status. Most people stay at their economic level. You usually don't go up. It is possible, but VERY unlikely to increase. Economic mobility has significantly declined. In fact, the poorest segment of the population actually got poorer since the 1980s.

"Across the country, average incomes fell 2.5 percent from 1998-2000 with 2004-06 for the bottom fifth of families, while edging up 1.3 percent for those in the middle. The top fifth registered a 9.1 percent gain." (Rich getting richer, poor getting poorer - SFGate).

This is but one of MANY studies that confirm this. The poor are indeed getting poorer. So at what point do you state that you are responsible for your outcome. Clearly this isn't the case.

There are many people who dig deep and work 2-3 jobs and remain poor. In fact, their children will end up poorer just by simply virtue of the status they were born into.

Not saving for retirement or spending too much on credit are middle class issues. The poor may spend on credit, but as a general rule the terms of credit are WAY worse (check into cash) and typically not for the same types of purchases (my car needs a new transmission so I can work vs. cruise to Hawaii).

Women who marry convicts. Ah, this a good one. Generally speaking there are few industries that are lucrative in extremely poor communities. Crime is amongst the most lucrative. It is our natural instinct to go for the best mate. If the best mate had the best job in that community (crime) then you will inevitably have women marrying soon to be convicts. It's really a factor of economics and sociology.

Teen pregnancies are also a factor of wealth vs. poverty. It is no surprise that abstinence only education is more likely to be taught in poor schools and not in richer districts. Thus, sex education is lacking more in poorer districts. These districts have higher teen pregnancy rates. Again, more of a social construction rather than individual choice. More people would make smarter choices, if those choices were actually taught to them.

Again personal anecdotes are great for micro studies and exceptions, but not for showing the rule.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
You really, really think that?

You really think that there was enough of a market for doctors that EVERY slave could have become a doctor?

Come on.
What would happen then when there are not enough doctor jobs available because more people became doctors then positions available? This is the fallacy of the whole just "better yourself argument". There are only a certain amount of jobs available in each job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies