Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:58 PM

37,067 posts, read 19,035,433 times

Advertisements

I will take up spending my life chasing money instead of enjoying friends and family when it is possible to drive by a cemetery and tell from looking at the markers who had money and who didn't. Never have heard of anyone who took it with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:16 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,477,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
There was this restaurant I visited twice. It had a $300 margarita. The called it "The Billionaire". Too expensive? The had a 'cheaper' one for $200 called "The Millionaire".

[The restaurant went of business within the year]
Wow! That must have been some margarita! Although they should have charged about $3,000 for "the Billionaire"...$300 is chump change for someone with billions in the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I will take up spending my life chasing money instead of enjoying friends and family when it is possible to drive by a cemetery and tell from looking at the markers who had money and who didn't. Never have heard of anyone who took it with them.
You can't take it with you, but you might as well try...I've heard margaritas cost about $300 in heaven! And you've got to tip St. Peter at the gates these days...

Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
a self promoting, narcissistic, suck up ....why what does that have to do with the topic.
Oh, about as much as this post did:

"""
"""Originally Posted by silas777
And that is what liberals don't understand, and why they think that people with wealth deserve to be punished. The 40 hour a week, mentality is not what built this country. It is about ambition, passion ,drive and motivation, not exactly part of the liberal lexicon."""

Oprah worked her way up from nothing and she's no Repug.....she's a lib So your post is "in error"

Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Not true. It depends on what you do. My neighborhood has a bunch of professionals in 40s & 50s mostly. Most are millionaires, if not multi-millionaires. And they do not need to work 100 hrs/week - my guess is most are fine with about 45-50 hrs/week. I know people who will walk away from lucrative consulting jobs to spend more time with the family and have a higher quality of life.

Simple formula really - get education, start off as an engineer/ accountant etc - invest 10-15% of your salary and in about 15-20 yrs, you will be a millionaire. The first million is the hardest. After that, figure doubling your saved million every 7-10 years, depending on the stock market and some luck. Your mileage may vary. But, it aint all that hard if you have discipline. But, one's monetary success does not give one a license to look down upon most others - although some lazy people do deserve it.
That's the POINT of the OP!

Those mere millionaires you are talking about look pretty lazy to billionaires....

Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,329,403 times
I'm sorry I can't imagine myself being a billionare.
I wouldn't know what to do with all that money. I'm fine being the struggling college student!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
I am a hundredaire.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
This thread got me thinking

Since it is obvious that anyone, and much more importantly, everyone can lift themselves out of poverty if they so choose, then why don't more people choose to become billionaires?

It would seem to be a good life-style and it can be achieved through only hard work.

99% of Americans are not billionaires, why so many lazy people?

It's quite simple, really. Most of us don't have the drive and dedication needed. And are quite satisfied with a comfortable living.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 PM

9,882 posts, read 10,799,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
So you believe that all or most liberals lack drive, ambition, passion & motivation & don't understand?
Oh come on now......
no, obviously we are speaking in generalities here the democrats are the party of the unions and entitlement crowd , republicans are more of the entrepreneurial, self starters.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*SIGH*

First of all, i've got this one life. It belongs to me, not some boss, and not to the pursuit of goo-gobs of money. I've figured out a basic formula to live well while working as little as possible, and i've got no complaints. Neither does my wife and son. I'm not gonna go off on some spiel (that's typical of conservatives around here) about how i'm some smashing success because i did so-and-so and blah, blah, blah. Just know that i'm content...and contentment is a HUGE part of my lexicon...far more so than ambition, drive, passion and motivation. If that's all that matters to you, then bully for you! Put that on your tombstone, but it sure as hell aint going on mine.

Secondly, 100 hours of working in a week is insanity, but i can understand it if one is working towards something. If i'm already a millionaire, then what's the point? The next million? Yea...and before you know it, you croak and you're history. And frankly, nobody will give a damn about how many hours you worked while you were alive. This life is too short for that. I don't buy this idea that you can't become extremely successful without spending 100 hrs chasing a buck. That's complete nonsense.
well this may come as a shock to you but I agree with you 100%.....life is to short and my family is too important to work that much...(in my opinion)....however that does not change the fact of the post you were responding too. Another factor is most "successful " people are doing something they love and so it really isn't work to them.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oh, about as much as this post did:

"""
"""Originally Posted by silas777
And that is what liberals don't understand, and why they think that people with wealth deserve to be punished. The 40 hour a week, mentality is not what built this country. It is about ambition, passion ,drive and motivation, not exactly part of the liberal lexicon."""

Oprah worked her way up from nothing and she's no Repug.....she's a lib So your post is "in error"
yeah so is jerry springer.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies