Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I do admire the Queen of England. She cancelled her Christmas party; said it wouldn't look good with so many people not working and going through hardship.

Now THAT sends a large message that she understands what's going on with the working people.

Obama could have sent a huge unspoken message to American people had he done something similar. But he didn't.
Which Christmas party are you talking about? Did any US presidents cancel their vacations in war time, say in the last 100 years?

Always something to criticize about the president when you don't like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Which Christmas party are you talking about? Did any US presidents cancel their vacations in war time, say in the last 100 years?

Always something to criticize about the president when you don't like him.
Just pointing out that there are dignitaries in the world that are cutting back.

FDR and his wife cut back in the face of the Great Depression.

What "war time" are you talking about ? You consider Iraq/Afghanistan "war time" ?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69D20320101014
"..it would be inappropriate to celebrate as ordinary Britons feel the pinch from tough economic times."

Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so everyone lucky enough to have more money than an unemployed person should give up their lifestyle so they have solidarity with people less fortunate?
Um. This is the President - not just anybody. And, just a little reminder - that money he is "lucky enough to have more" of, happens to be ours. (including those who are unemployed, lost their homes, retirement, etc.)

Old 01-01-2011, 10:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just pointing out that there are dignitaries in the world that are cutting back.

FDR and his wife cut back in the face of the Great Depression.

What "war time" are you talking about ? You consider Iraq/Afghanistan "war time" ?

Queen Elizabeth cancels Christmas party in tough times | Reuters
"..it would be inappropriate to celebrate as ordinary Britons feel the pinch from tough economic times."
As far as war time, I was mostly referring to WWI and WWII, though if you want to consider the endless war in Viet Nam, what did Kennedy/Johnson/Nixon do at Christmas those years? I don't really know how to classify Iran/Iraq, but Iraq's been going on for the better part of 8 years now, so Obama's predecessor should have cancelled his vacations, too, in that case.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I just think it's rather tacky that he goes on these extravagant vacations while the US economy is in the tank. Just my opinion here and I really don't care how much others try to justify it or compare it to Bush.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Um. This is the President - not just anybody. And, just a little reminder - that money he is "lucky enough to have more" of, happens to be ours. (including those who are unemployed, lost their homes, retirement, etc.)
my question was not about the president but asking about other wealthy people. should they give up their lifestyles because other people are out of work?

Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
i totally feel bad for the people that voted for this shameless person.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
my question was not about the president but asking about other wealthy people. should they give up their lifestyles because other people are out of work?
Sorry. That is not the topic of this thread.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 AM

545 posts, read 400,355 times
Quote:

Of course not.....but I don't understand why the left want to tax the "rich" to take them down a notch while giving it to the poor.

when the wealthy complain about taxes the left usually responds with " shut up you rich fat cat, you're just mad because you won't be able to take that VACATION or buy that fancy car, now pay your fair share!!!"....

and if they do manage to avoid the punitive taxes and want to buy something nice they usually say "that money could be use to feed the poor, what a waste"....which of course is followed by the "tax them more" mantra.

I just find it odd that so many liberals are defending this million dollar trip where as I can't buy a Mercedes without some liberal telling me how greedy I am.

So, can I expect to see you all the on next threads about someone demanding higher taxes for the very successful, saying the same things you are currently saying here?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:07 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
EricGold, I've known many liberals who have owned Mercedes-Benzes. Where are you finding these liberals who supposedly tell you that you're greedy, and perhaps more importantly, why are you allowing them to bother you so much? Is it possible that you have a guilty conscience and that you're just imagining these things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies