U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 AM

11,441 posts, read 8,478,630 times
America's TV "news" programs are a sad commentary on the general mentality of the the public.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,502,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visvaldis View Post
it all depends if americans want 'real news'.
cnn=communist news network

Old 01-02-2011, 12:58 PM

14,023 posts, read 8,882,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I think I'm going to jump in here and ask a question. It's one I've asked in these "evil, biased" media threads before and never gotten a good answer:

What would you do about it? For those who moan about how the "media," or, more commonly from the right, the "MSM" is so biased and untrustworthy, what's the solution? Censorship? Some sort of "official" line on every story?

Come on! How about it? What's your plan? If you don't have one, stop whining about it.

Oh...one more thing. All this concern over the media seems to be predicated on the idea that people can be swayed, can be influenced, led "astray" by tilted reporting. That they might fall victim to some sort of conspiracy and be led down the garden path.

So..tell me? Are YOU falling for it? Can they get to YOU? Are YOU smart enough not to be conned and manipulated?

I suspect everyone's personal answer is, "No! I can see right through them!" Well, if that's the case, what makes you think everyone else isn't as smart as you are? Do you REALLY have such a low opinion of others intelligence? If so, why?

Still waiting for some answers.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 PM

20,013 posts, read 6,518,361 times
Quote:
Most are still trying to figure out the question thingy, ya betcha!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 AM

10,653 posts, read 5,830,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Most are still trying to figure out the question thingy, ya betcha!
No doubt, guess fox hasn't told them the answer to that one yet. You betcha!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM

14,334 posts, read 14,739,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
National Enquirer of cable TV.
Exactly. Ali Velshi is an idiot....sorry but only economists and people with education are qualified to discuss Wall Street, not some idiot who recently got a bit part in an Oliver Stone movie...Its just sick that these people proffer pablum on CNN ,a big network now...Lou Dobbs had some factual info., had economists on, etc....now it is all trash media and they need to be called on it.

And Anderson Cooper needs to tone it down, he has lost any slight credibility he had left. Its not a matter of just left or right, CNN is a media trash vehicle now.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM

Default to clarify

Quote:
Due to the economy I cant write as many threads here...But to partially answer, I just visited zogbypoll.com......regarding the media, yes there is trash, always will be as long as Hollywood and the almighty dollar rule American media.

I used to like CNN. Now Anderson Cooper panders to the lowest common denominator.

I dont watch Fox but I can say that people like Beck, Behar (yes, Im female, but I dont watch trash like The View either), Limbaugh and all the "pundits" who in the last 10-15 years have suddenly become a source of what people call "news correspondents" yell and scream and promote hatred....thats ALL they do....they are not doing anything to make things better in this country, and God knows thats what we need especially now. The Tucson tragedy hadnt happened when I started this thread, but it seems people like Limbaugh thrive on the bloodletting.

It all is very very sickening. Thats JMO, I cant comment on foreign newsbut I do have a passport and have traveled unlike some "former politicians" who resign a post to garner millions on reality tv.

I also dont see that any phrase like lock and load can be promoted these days, and anyone who supports that and has pictures of herself with her hunting rifle thinking it ""looks cool"" has serious issues, and is damaging to our countrys fragile state right now. ......Its sad.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,953 times
HLN used to be called Headline News. They used to have live coverage of our soldiers in the middle of a firefight. The network used to cover headline news stories of national and international importance that was filled with content. A few years later, the channel was bought and transformed into a trash peddling, propaganda pushing, sleezy, dirtbag, sellout, infotainment "news" operation that is much worse than any of the state-run news in the 3rd world. I feel totally betrayed by Cnn Headline News and I am utterly disgusted with this network of liars and "clean" coal pushing presstitutes. HLN literally LOST ME as a base viewer. They used to be a vital asset to the nation, they were a really good network that actually did something for the people not to the people, they actually stood for something called the truth. Now they are a total national Nancy Disgrace. See TLC (Honey Boo Boo) formerly The Learning Channel (NASA) on wikipedia. The Great Dumbing Down...F-ing Terrifying. Also See..Idiocracy

Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM

“CNN appears committed to a business model that doesn’t work,” said Robert Seidman, an editor of the ratings Web site TV by the Numbers. The site posted a chart on Tuesday that showed all but one of CNN’s programs down by double digits in April. (One program, “Anderson Cooper 360,” was down by single digits.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/bu...anted=all&_r=0

CNN , piers morgan, sensationalism and trash tv, do not seem to be working well for CNN.
10 years ago, they used to have Lou Dobbs, who at least was capale of political conversation.

Now since Anderson Cooper are appealing to lowest common demographic, manyformer viewers are tuning out.

No longer is CNN a decent source of info.

www.linktv.org
www.fstv.org
and Al-Jazeera, are gaining ratings, while Cooper panders to the reality trash demographic. Sivce 2008 elections, CNN's ratings have been circling the drain.
And HLN as their 'sister' channel, can certainly take ample credit for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies