Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you knew your neighbor grew, what would you do?
Nothing, none of my business 228 69.72%
Only if it was for personal use, and they were responsible 31 9.48%
Only if it was for personal medical use, and they were responsible 7 2.14%
Nothing, but only if I knew them and they were responsible 17 5.20%
Call the cops, arrest the criminals, regardless of who they are 44 13.46%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Mine are in blue.

2. The person growing the pot, is KNOWINGLY and intentionally breaking the law. And if he isn't causing gang violence in the neighborhood. Or having traffic all hours of the night, and not pushing harder more danger subtances, then what is the big deal? It's not my business.

It's illegal, technically it is your business, if you know that an illegal activity is taking place, and you don't act upon it, that is your business. In my eyes, it makes you just a criminally liable is the person performing the action.

3. Simply because you WANT something, is not a good reason to break the law. That's what criminals do. Do you think that maybe some laws are dumb? Have you ever driven faster than the speed limit? Shot off fireworks? Blaired your music too loud? Any one of these could be said as breaking the law. Does that make someone a criminal? I mean, might as well lock them up and throw away the key too.

Yes I think some laws are dumb, but that doesn't give me free reign to ignore those laws. I follow the speed limit, any fireworks I have ever shot off were legally purchased and used in the state I used them, I don't play my music loud, if I can hear it, I am happy, why should I inflict what I am listening to upon your ears?

4. While you and I may not think that a little bit of pot is a bad thing, and that the recreational use of it isn't going to hurt people, the bottom line is, until the law is changed, it's illegal, and I repeat, knowingly and intentionally performing an illegal action, just because you WANT something, is the activity of a criminal. If you know this, then why all the fuss? The fact of the matter is, it's a stupid law that was enacted due to propaganda, racism, and lies, as well as a few special interest groups to who stood to lose a lot of money by keeping it legal?

And it's a stupid law, but until it's repealed, revoked, removed, it's still the law.

Knowing that, if my neighbor was growing the weed, I would have the police down upon their head and shoulders so fast, they wouldn't have time to breathe. Breaking the law, whether we like that particular law or not, simply because you WANT something makes you no better than the petty criminal who steals from the local 7-11. A criminal is a criminal because they knowingly and willing break the law. For cryin' out loud you make it sound like he murdered someone! If you truly believed that a little bit of pot isn't going to hurt anyone then you wouldn't make statements such as this. Yeah, it's the law. We know. It's illegal. It's an archaic law that makes no sense, and quite frankly I'm sick of my tax money funding this farce that they call "the war on drugs." Especially when it's a war on a God given plant with a bunch of benefits. If you want to have a war on a plant, let's look to irradicate poison ivy, considering the allergic reaction when touched, as well as if burned those in the proximity of it can inhale it, and have serious consequences. Just sayin'.

And the answer stands. A person who knowingly and willing breaks the law, is a criminal. Whether is an archaic stupid law that makes no sense, till it's repealed, it's the law. If your sick of your tax money being spent on the "war on drugs", then get the law changed, or get people to follow the law. Either of those two, results in the same thing, the end of the law on drugs.

It's the law so it is the law.....

Let me ask, if the 2nd amendment was revoked and the police were authorized to inspect any household for arms would you just open your door and turn in your guns? Its the law and you must respect the law because it 's the law right? What if the law was to report all Jews or blacks or whatever to the authorities? It is the law so it it is the law right?

Maybe being a criminal depending because you didn't obey the law isn't something to be so ashamed of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

6,484 posts, read 6,613,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Call me a criminal if you feel the need, but the truth still stands that many people enjoy the plant and a lot of people need it for medicinal reasons. A medicine that won't damage your liver and the rest of your organs. It will be grown, it will be sold and it will be bought. Legal or illegal and until the government can get their head out of their ass, the profits will go to the citizens. Simple as that.

http://preventdisease.com/news/10/120310_marijuana_cuts_tumor_growth.shtml
"The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies."
Is it legal? Regardless of your rationalizations, it's not legal.

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We know all that and still would not call the cops. Why? Because it's a stupid big government law and people have a moral obligation to oppose laws like this one. Oppressive laws should be opposed and violated. That's just like those that opposed slavery. They were right to do so.

And it's not just like stealing from the local 7-11. Not even close. If you can't see the difference, I certainly would not want to be your neighbor.

Tried to rep you Roadking but it wouldn't let me. Great post!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
" It may be a stupid or wrong law but it is the law so you must obey it"

Had the colonists followed that thought America as a nation wouldn't even exist.

Americans have roots in being rebels and non conformists yet many Americans today are blind conformist and the land of liberty is a land of thousands of "laws".

Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 AM

1,341 posts, read 3,911,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Regardless if is illegal, the law will be broke and continued to be broke. There is money to be made and your tax money will be wasted. There isn't much that can stop a loaded freight train and thats exactly what this is. Embrace it or keep fighting a fight you will continue to lose.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Mine are in blue.

2. The person growing the pot, is KNOWINGLY and intentionally breaking the law. And if he isn't causing gang violence in the neighborhood. Or having traffic all hours of the night, and not pushing harder more danger subtances, then what is the big deal? It's not my business.

It's illegal, technically it is your business, if you know that an illegal activity is taking place, and you don't act upon it, that is your business. In my eyes, it makes you just a criminally liable is the person performing the action.

3. Simply because you WANT something, is not a good reason to break the law. That's what criminals do. Do you think that maybe some laws are dumb? Have you ever driven faster than the speed limit? Shot off fireworks? Blaired your music too loud? Any one of these could be said as breaking the law. Does that make someone a criminal? I mean, might as well lock them up and throw away the key too.

Yes I think some laws are dumb, but that doesn't give me free reign to ignore those laws. I follow the speed limit, any fireworks I have ever shot off were legally purchased and used in the state I used them, I don't play my music loud, if I can hear it, I am happy, why should I inflict what I am listening to upon your ears?

4. While you and I may not think that a little bit of pot is a bad thing, and that the recreational use of it isn't going to hurt people, the bottom line is, until the law is changed, it's illegal, and I repeat, knowingly and intentionally performing an illegal action, just because you WANT something, is the activity of a criminal. If you know this, then why all the fuss? The fact of the matter is, it's a stupid law that was enacted due to propaganda, racism, and lies, as well as a few special interest groups to who stood to lose a lot of money by keeping it legal?

And it's a stupid law, but until it's repealed, revoked, removed, it's still the law.

Knowing that, if my neighbor was growing the weed, I would have the police down upon their head and shoulders so fast, they wouldn't have time to breathe. Breaking the law, whether we like that particular law or not, simply because you WANT something makes you no better than the petty criminal who steals from the local 7-11. A criminal is a criminal because they knowingly and willing break the law. For cryin' out loud you make it sound like he murdered someone! If you truly believed that a little bit of pot isn't going to hurt anyone then you wouldn't make statements such as this. Yeah, it's the law. We know. It's illegal. It's an archaic law that makes no sense, and quite frankly I'm sick of my tax money funding this farce that they call "the war on drugs." Especially when it's a war on a God given plant with a bunch of benefits. If you want to have a war on a plant, let's look to irradicate poison ivy, considering the allergic reaction when touched, as well as if burned those in the proximity of it can inhale it, and have serious consequences. Just sayin'.

And the answer stands. A person who knowingly and willing breaks the law, is a criminal. Whether is an archaic stupid law that makes no sense, till it's repealed, it's the law. If your sick of your tax money being spent on the "war on drugs", then get the law changed, or get people to follow the law. Either of those two, results in the same thing, the end of the law on drugs.

OK. You have already admitted that it's a stupid law, and that a little bit of pot isn't going to hurt anyone. With that being said, and with your feeling that the "law is the law" help me with this scenario. Let's say you're at a social function, be it a friend's party, a family party, a company Christmas party, or wherever people gather to relax and have a good time. Someone pulls out a joint, (and chances are it's happened a few times) and that person as well as several others partake in a little toke. Now these are all good people mind you. They work hard, they pay their taxes, own a home, have families and what have you. Are you going to call the cops on them, and run the risk of ruining these people's lives for something as trivial as smoking a joint? Why? Me being me, I can't see ruining someone elses life or lives when they're harming no one and feel it was the moral thing to do. Just asking, because after all "the law is the law." This is why nothing changes in this country. I think we have that right as Americans to question laws that are unconstitutional and infringe on the rights and liberties of the individual. If not, then we are no better than North Korea or Iran.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
true. neither is speeding, or jaywalking. maybe we should start prosecuting jaywalking as a felony, since people obviously aren't getting the picture how dangerous it is.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Is it illegal? No. Does it need to be legalized? Yes. Is it rational to keep it illegal, because of special interest groups who make up a bunch of lies about it? No. In fact it's extremely irrational!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,393 times
I'd be curious to see how many of the 26 who voted "call the cops/arrest them" stand to make some sort of money in their job by pot smokers being arrested? I'd wager that most of the others are soccer moms who by into the "reefer madness" propaganda.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
" It may be a stupid or wrong law but it is the law so you must obey it"

Had the colonists followed that thought America as a nation wouldn't even exist.

Americans have roots in being rebels and non conformists yet many Americans today are blind conformist and the land of liberty is a land of thousands of "laws".

Our forefathers must be rolling over in their graves. They have to be looking down from somewhere going....... with the way all of our individual rights are being taken away. Gun owners. You're next!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies