Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,967,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But in this case the state is taking the money..it's not going back to the banks and retailers.

Hmm. Why should it go 'back' to the retailer? They already got money.

Let us see. I go to Best Buy and purchase a $100.00 gift card for my Aunt Tilda. I hand over the $100.00 to the clerk. Clerk gives me a card that is good for $100.00 of goods in Best Buy. I give said card to Aunt Tilda.

So: I am out of $100.00. Best Buy has $100.00, but promises to exchange said gift card for $100 worth of goods to Aunt Tilda.

Now, Aunt Tilda never goes to Best Buy. December 21, 2012 comes around, and she is dead.

I am still out of the $100, although since it was a 'gift' I never expect to see it again. It is no longer my money.

Best Buy still has the $100, in clear profit. However, it is still on their books as an obligation.

A couple more years go by. New Jersey is saying (I guess) that if after a certain date Aunt Tilda or some authorized representative does not appear at Best Buy and demand $100 worth of electronic crap, then they, the State, should have the right to the $100 from Best Buy.

Best Buy had the 'use' of the $100 for several years, earning interest (well, ok, so they earned almost three dollars after five years).

Anyway, this is why I never buy gift cards, and why I regret losing them when they are given to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,308,730 times
This is outright theft and another example of the government inserting itself into places it has no business being. Gift cards are a contract between the purchaser (or gift recipient) and the retailer. The government does NOT have a right to confiscate anything based on the actions or inactions of the gift card holder. This is just wrong.

NJ Needs to find some other ways to raise cash, but this is NOT the answer.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,967,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
This is outright theft and another example of the government inserting itself into places it has no business being. Gift cards are a contract between the purchaser (or gift recipient) and the retailer. The government does NOT have a right to confiscate anything based on the actions or inactions of the gift card holder. This is just wrong.

NJ Needs to find some other ways to raise cash, but this is NOT the answer.

What is the answer? Please read my example and tell us what Best Buy should be doing. After all, they (in my example) have my $100 that I gave them in exchange for the plastic card which I then gave to my aunt.

So, years later my aunt dies. Am I suppose to remember the gift card and call up Best Buy and demand that they search the books to see if the card had been submitted?

Is Best Buy suppose to keep an eye on the obits?

Is Best Buy suppose to keep this $100 obligation on their books for, well, how long? Five years? Ten years? Forever?

People scream when a business puts a 'time limit' on gift cards, stating that if the card is not used prior to the expiration of a certain time, then the purchaser of said card, not to mention the recipient (if any) of said card, is out of the money. The value of the gift card simple escheats to the business at the expiration of the set time. Is that what you are in favor of?

Like one other poster pointed out, this method is used in many states concerning old bank accounts, etc. New Jersey is simply expanding it to expired or long dormant gift cards. I agree, it can be spun to sound like a 'taking' by the state government, but on the other side of the coin it prevents unjust enrichment of the business.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,399,933 times
And what the hek is next after that! give me a break! Now i have heard of everything, just when you think that you have. What is next, your stash of Food in case of emergency.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,613,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
What is the answer? Please read my example and tell us what Best Buy should be doing. After all, they (in my example) have my $100 that I gave them in exchange for the plastic card which I then gave to my aunt.

So, years later my aunt dies. Am I suppose to remember the gift card and call up Best Buy and demand that they search the books to see if the card had been submitted?

Is Best Buy suppose to keep an eye on the obits?

Is Best Buy suppose to keep this $100 obligation on their books for, well, how long? Five years? Ten years? Forever?

People scream when a business puts a 'time limit' on gift cards, stating that if the card is not used prior to the expiration of a certain time, then the purchaser of said card, not to mention the recipient (if any) of said card, is out of the money. The value of the gift card simple escheats to the business at the expiration of the set time. Is that what you are in favor of?

Like one other poster pointed out, this method is used in many states concerning old bank accounts, etc. New Jersey is simply expanding it to expired or long dormant gift cards. I agree, it can be spun to sound like a 'taking' by the state government, but on the other side of the coin it prevents unjust enrichment of the business.
Simple, if the card isn't used in five years (or whatever), refund the money to the original purchaser.
I'm sure they keep track of the cards by number or other means. Otherwise, how would the store know what to 'give' the State?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,838,989 times
In the past year, NJ has already cut various services, killed a tunnel project that would have created 6,000 jobs, and raised taxes on senior citizens. This move does not surprise me. Politicians in that State will stop at nothing to get money.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 PM

45,101 posts, read 26,262,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Simple, if the card isn't used in five years (or whatever), refund the money to the original purchaser.
I'm sure they keep track of the cards by number or other means. Otherwise, how would the store know what to 'give' the State?
Yep, or it expires and the retailer keeps it.
There is no justifiable cause for government to be involved between the retailer and the consumer. Who are they protecting?
All we have here is another revenue stream for greedy bureaucrats to misappropriate.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,959,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
If the idiot customers could not spend the money before the expiration the businesses deserve to keep the money.
Idiots? I have often had a gift card from a store where I refused to make another purchase just for the purpose of using up the remainder of a gift card. An idiot would be someone who spends an additional sum of money just to use up the remainder of a card that they didn't pay for in the first place (caveat, as long as the additional purchase wasn't something they intended to buy in the first place).

Old 01-03-2011, 04:36 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,957,202 times
That proposal just seemed weird. Did a Google search and found this article about it:

N.J. wants to profit from money left on gift cards | Economy | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

"Presently any business that sells a gift card is collecting free money on any amount on the card that goes unspent. Under the proposal, the state would collect the money [from the business], and if a card is eventually used by a consumer, the state would return to money to the business. But in the meantime, the state would be investing the money and collecting on the interest. If the card is never fully or entirely used, the state would keep the unspent money and put it toward public services."

Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM

45,101 posts, read 26,262,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
That proposal just seemed weird. Did a Google search and found this article about it:

N.J. wants to profit from money left on gift cards | Economy | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

"Presently any business that sells a gift card is collecting free money on any amount on the card that goes unspent. Under the proposal, the state would collect the money [from the business], and if a card is eventually used by a consumer, the state would return to money to the business. But in the meantime, the state would be investing the money and collecting on the interest. If the card is never fully or entirely used, the state would keep the unspent money and put it toward public services."
N.J. will have to put another bureaucracy in place or expand one just to handle gift card matters.But hey, you have to spend money to steal money.

And more it's more business friendly legislation that will require the retailer to follow up with the state to apply and wait for their own money back, which will translate into higher overhead and consequently higher prices.
What would we do without our governments watching out for us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies