Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:13 PM

88,942 posts, read 44,771,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
If you had bothered to read the article you wouldn't need to ask that question.
I had to ask the question to encourage thinking beyond the rudimentary level.

Quote:
And, btw, those were not all public facilities in those photos.
No, but some were. And they were in a horrific state of disrepair.

Quote:
The problem had to do with something called "white flight" and leaving the inner city. That's what it was all about. that all started with the declining auto industry.
You're getting there... think it through...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Read the article. You originally posted the link. And you have managed to come to a profoundly wrong conclusion.
It only seems that way to those who think on a very rudimentary level.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Posting a bunch of photos of a decaying Detroit does not have anything to do with reproducing at a rate of 3 times that of other people in our society.
Really? In what world does diverting money to social welfare spending mean there isn't any less funding to maintain facilities? That's the problem with thinking about this on a rudimentary level: it misses the very real consequences of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Does it worry you? Do you really believe that it will improve? An economy that's as bad as it's been in decades, less and less opportunity even for college graduates, a political system in Washington, D.C. that's unresponsive to our needs let alone the needs and desires of our children? When I grew up in the '70's, the future was there if you were willing to work for it. I read so many accounts of despondent teens and young adults and my first reaction is, 'Of course! Look at the world we're leaving them..'

Does anybody really believe that our kids have as much to look forward to as we did? Maybe the real question is, with such gridlock, corruption in our political system, can we really hope for significant change in time for our children?
They could inhabit a world with a gazillion dollars in debt and it would still be a million times more "compassionate" than it was just a thousand years ago.

The world's greatest power is utterly indebted more than any other in previous history and what's this world like now compared to the past?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Insults don't make you any more correct.

Since you won't read it for yourself, I'll post it for you. And my question again is, is your narrow focus on "welfare class" racially motivated? So by referring to "white flight" I'm "getting there"? So this whole assault on the so-called "welfare class" is really just another way to express racist biases, it seems.

From YOUR LINK:

The so called "white flight" from the city centre began in the 1950s and, soon, as Sugrue puts it, "an increasingly black city was surrounded by a ring of communities that were all white". This "white noose", as one contemporary observer referred to it, helped strangle the inner city, both economically and socially, turning it into a series of large ghettos intercut by freeway. Unrest reached a head in 1967, when 43 people were killed in a week of rioting that started after police officers raided an after-hours drinking club and which left the downtown streets looking like a war zone. Since then, the city has been left increasingly to its own devices – abandoned by politicians, planners, developers and businesses, by all, in fact, but the black urban poor. "Even grocery stores and supermarkets disappeared from the city," writes Sugrue. "By the first decade of the 21st century, observers described Detroit as 'a food desert' – a place without even a single, well-stocked supermarket within its boundaries

Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Really? In what world does diverting money to social welfare spending mean there isn't any less funding to maintain facilities? That's the problem with thinking about this on a rudimentary level: it misses the very real consequences of robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Okay. Since you cannot figure out the meaning of those photos on your own, read below. "Astonishing rise as a global capital of capitalism and its even more extraordinary descent into ruin".........THIS STARTED WITH THE DECLINE OF THE AUTO INDUSTRY, the loss of jobs, and then "white flight"! Capitalism. Happens all the time. And that's the point.

The Ruins of Detroit tells the city's story so far in one starkly beautiful photograph after another, all of which add up to nothing less than an end-of-empire narrative. Or as Sugrue puts it: "The abandoned factories, the eerily vacant schools, the rotting houses, and gutted skyscrapers that Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre chronicle are the artefacts of Detroit's astonishing rise as a global capital of capitalism and its even more extraordinary descent into ruin, a place where the boundaries between the American dream and the American nightmare, between prosperity and poverty, between the permanent and the ephemeral are powerfully and painfully visible. No place epitomises the creative and destructive forces of modernity more than Detroit, past and present.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...gan?intcmp=239

Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Insults don't make you any more correct.
Not an insult. There's a significant difference between stopping one's thought process when one believes one has reached a thought that supports one's position, and thinking through the consequences of the actions involved in the situation. This really isn't hard to conceptualize if you understand why robbing Peter to pay Paul has very real, negative consequences.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Insults do not advance your position.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Do you understand that makes you the quintessential liberal? To even suggest that government (and who else could enforce that?) stand in the position of deciding who can, or who cannot, have children is so counter to the Declaration of Independence that it defies comment.

I really think you should read up on the ideas of Margret Sanger and go join Planned Parenthood. You'd likely find yourself among other fellow travelers. Or, better yet, move to China. Their one child policies ought to suit you to a tee.
Did I say I wanted to enforce it or have government intervene?
It is what I, me alone, you know what I means, don't you; and I used a caveat also. Your reading comprehension seems to be seriously lacking.

I support planned parenthood with donations when ill-informed people on CD spout their ignorance.

Last year I donated $600, so far this year (4 Jan) I've donated $100.
Margaret Sanger has been dead for a long time. Assuming I ascribe to anyone's philosophy but my own is absurd.
I want less than one child, I believe that no one should breed.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Last summer my husband (who has a degree in agriculture) spent three months thinning and picking peaches for a local orchard. Sadly, they could not get to many of the trees because there were not enough workers. My husband said that the orchard owner cannot find people who WANT TO WORK. I assure you, there are plenty of jobs out there available to people who want to do something beside hold a remote control.

20yrsinBranson
Damned immigrants are taking all of our good jobs. (Severe snark intended)
Merikans can't work but they all want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies