Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,895 times

Advertisements

Does it worry you? Do you really believe that it will improve? An economy that's as bad as it's been in decades, less and less opportunity even for college graduates, a political system in Washington, D.C. that's unresponsive to our needs let alone the needs and desires of our children? When I grew up in the '70's, the future was there if you were willing to work for it. I read so many accounts of despondent teens and young adults and my first reaction is, 'Of course! Look at the world we're leaving them..'

Does anybody really believe that our kids have as much to look forward to as we did? Maybe the real question is, with such gridlock, corruption in our political system, can we really hope for significant change in time for our children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Does it worry you? Do you really believe that it will improve? An economy that's as bad as it's been in decades, less and less opportunity even for college graduates, a political system in Washington, D.C. that's unresponsive to our needs let alone the needs and desires of our children? When I grew up in the '70's, the future was there if you were willing to work for it. I read so many accounts of despondent teens and young adults and my first reaction is, 'Of course! Look at the world we're leaving them..'

Does anybody really believe that our kids have as much to look forward to as we did? Maybe the real question is, with such gridlock, corruption in our political system, can we really hope for significant change in time for our children?
That sort of depends upon your defintion of "significant change," doesn't it?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That sort of depends upon your defintion of "significant change," doesn't it?
See, contrary to all indications, I still believe that most of our elected officials are smart, moral, and well meaning. However, if they want to play the political game, and have any chance of a career in Washington, they will have to take money.. Most will say that will have no bearing on how they vote, but I doubt many of us believe that. As long as that is the case, they will never put our interests ahead of the corporations that are paying their bills, and therefore are allowing them to remain competitive. I'd say that any change in our laws regulating campaign finance would be significant change, but I just don't see it.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
See, contrary to all indications, I still believe that most of our elected officials are smart, moral, and well meaning. However, if they want to play the political game, and have any chance of a career in Washington, they will have to take money.. Most will say that will have no bearing on how they vote, but I doubt many of us believe that. As long as that is the case, they will never put our interests ahead of the corporations that are paying their bills, and therefore are allowing them to remain competitive. I'd say that any change in our laws regulating campaign finance would be significant, but I just don't see it.

I agree with that. The solution to the inordinate influence of big money is public financing of elections, but that's not going anywhere any time soon.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 PM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Does it worry you? Do you really believe that it will improve? An economy that's as bad as it's been in decades, less and less opportunity even for college graduates, a political system in Washington, D.C. that's unresponsive to our needs let alone the needs and desires of our children?
Our government isn't unresponsive to everyone's needs, it's just unresponsive to the productive and contributing class's needs. The welfare class's needs are met, with no expense to them. Hence, the evolving idiocracy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSROlfR7WTo

Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Our government isn't unresponsive to everyone's needs, it's just unresponsive to the productive and contributing class's needs. The welfare class's needs are met, with no expense to them. Hence, the evolving idiocracy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSROlfR7WTo

In other words, you think it's only responsive to folks unlike you?

Neither you, nor I, make up the body politic, and just because our view is in the minority doesn't give us the right to reject the wants and needs of others who may wield more political influence or power.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I agree with that. The solution to the inordinate influence of big money is public financing of elections, but that's not going anywhere any time soon.
Right, and TV time is their big cost. I used to know a little more about this, but my understanding is that originally, probably beginning with radio, there was a decision that took the ownership of the airwaves away from the people and put it in private hands. Maybe this will be the shortest thread in the history of this forum, because maybe the sad truth is we are stuck with the system we have, that our elected officials will always be owned by big business and where does that leave us, and more importantly, where does it leave our children?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 PM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
In other words, you think it's only responsive to folks unlike you?
Depends... are they unproductive and non-contributing members of society?

Quote:
Neither you, nor I, make up the body politic, and just because our view is in the minority doesn't give us the right to reject the wants and needs of others who may wield more political influence or power.
Are you saying the welfare class has more political power than the productive and contributing class? Interesting observation...

That makes an even stronger case for the evolving idiocracy.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
If the world is such a problem and will continue to be hosed for some time (probably forever), why do people continue to have so many kids?

I mean, people talk about expense, poor education, lack of jobs, etc. They want handouts and tax breaks simply for breeding and I seriously can't understand what that's about.

The world will not get better, there will be water wars (World Bank forces countries to sell water rights), increasing poverty, continued degredation of our standard of living, inceased cost of education, stagnant wages... What kind of jobs will you have? Service jobs, there's little manufacturing in the US.

Why continue to bring children into the world with this as the future?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If the world is such a problem and will continue to be hosed for some time (probably forever), why do people continue to have so many kids?

I mean, people talk about expense, poor education, lack of jobs, etc. They want handouts and tax breaks simply for breeding and I seriously can't understand what that's about.

The world will not get better, there will be water wars (World Bank forces countries to sell water rights), increasing poverty, continued degredation of our standard of living, inceased cost of education, stagnant wages... What kind of jobs will you have? Service jobs, there's little manufacturing in the US.

Why continue to bring children into the world with this as the future?
So, would you suggest that we stop procreating altogether? For some of us it's too late for that. I've fathered one child, will never father another, but that doesn't make my concerns any less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies