Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:57 PM

308 posts, read 711,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nearly 600 U.S. Troops Re-enlist in Baghdad on Independence Day
[7/5/2007]

Source: American Forces Information Services - Marine Sgt. Jess Kent

Hundreds of troops gathered at Al Faw Palace for the Multi-National Force-Iraq Reenlistment, Naturalization and Independence Day Ceremonytoday at Camp Victory. During the ceremony, 588 troops reenlisted and 161 were naturalized as American citizens.

Army Gen. David Petraeus, commanding general, MNF-I, gave opening remarks before administering the Oath of Enlistment."This morning we pay tribute to the American ideals we all hold so dear in several significant ways," he said.

"First, by conducting what surely is the largest reenlistment event ever held in Iraq and perhaps in our Armed Forces' history, then by celebrating the granting of American citizenship to a group of troopers who have already pledged their loyalty to our nation by putting their lives on the line for it, and finally by observing the 231st birthday of our great country," he said.

Petraeus said the troops who reenlisted on Independence Day, most while serving on a second or third deployment to a combat zone, have made a decision based on far more than any bonus they may receive.
"No bonus, no matter the size, can adequately compensate you for the contribution each of you has made and continues to make as a custodian of our nation's defenses," he said. "Nor can any amount of money compensate you adequately for the sacrifices you make serving here in Iraq or the burdens your loved ones face at home in your absence.
And we certainly cannot put a price on the freedoms you defend or those we are trying to help the Iraqis establish and safeguard here in the land of the two rivers."

Petraeus then dedicated the Independence Day ceremony in honor of two soldiers who died fighting for America before they could be sworn in as citizens.
Read the rest here:
http://www.arfp.org/skins/ARFP/display.aspx?CategoryID=40453a3e-70fd-4a6b-bfd3-e30504a0654b&ObjectID=1c8e2a99-a5a4-4df7-a33a-a46d6c80d707&Action=display_user_object&Mode=user& ModuleID=f6c229ca-03ae-4c81-8d0a-81a5a0c208f9&AllowSSL=true (broken link)

Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 11:22 PM

150 posts, read 519,745 times
Yah now lets start showing them some suport. They are doing a great job it is hard but they can put ther boots on every day and do it so lets put our boots on every day and suport them doing what they belive in.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:44 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,535 times
Thank you for posting this! My military relatives and friends believe strongly in their mission in Iraq and are proud of their service to our country. They firmly believe that we fight the terrorists there or here, and I believe them and support their mission fully. President Bush called the nation "war weary", but IMHO, when our soldiers continue to show such courage, dedication and unity, they deserve no less from those of us here at home! This story is inspirational, and the men and women of our military (and their families) are true heroes!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:36 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
Lmao....what terrorists can't buy plane tickets or get on cruise ships???? I got news for people, their already here and waiting. I feel sorry for the soldiers, getting exploited by the Bush regime by the premise of patriotism......

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times
People in any endeavor convince them selves that they are doing the right thing, or they would not be involved. I see them as soldiers of fortune.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,076 times
And our paper here in FL. just ran a story about a
soldier fighting his *FIFTH* non-volunteer tour of
Iraq. There are 20X more than that 600 of soldiers
who are saying enough-is-enough.

Great source too, BTW....

Old 07-16-2007, 10:55 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,091 times
Default Today's Soldier......

Since the draft was abolished (Thank God !!!) our military forces are all volunteer.The vast majority will carry out their mission. Some will go above and beyond he call of duty, some will fall short...Human nature.....
It is no surprise to me anyway that 600 men and women re enlisted on the fourth of July while deployed. Many of those who serve feel strongly about their service. Some soldiers will say, as one poster said "enough is enough."
This has been the case in every war ever fought....be sure to blame Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Eisenhower,Truman, Roosevelt, Wilson, Grant ,Lincoln, Washington too not just George W Bush. There is plenty of blood on plenty hands to go around. In every case any soldier who has been to war has a right to say whatever they want, like give me more or enough is enough. Those of you who did not serve during war time should be quiet !!!!! You have no clue !!!!
I am proud of today's soldier. I pray that many more will serve whenever called.
Spiritwalker

Old 07-16-2007, 11:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Since the draft was abolished (Thank God !!!) our military forces are all volunteer.The vast majority will carry out their mission. Some will go above and beyond he call of duty, some will fall short...Human nature.....
It is no surprise to me anyway that 600 men and women re enlisted on the fourth of July while deployed. Many of those who serve feel strongly about their service. Some soldiers will say, as one poster said "enough is enough."
This has been the case in every war ever fought....be sure to blame Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Eisenhower,Truman, Roosevelt, Wilson, Grant ,Lincoln, Washington too not just George W Bush. There is plenty of blood on plenty hands to go around. In every case any soldier who has been to war has a right to say whatever they want, like give me more or enough is enough. Those of you who did not serve during war time should be quiet !!!!! You have no clue !!!!
I am proud of today's soldier. I pray that many more will serve whenever called.
Spiritwalker

Your a pawn and if you don't mind being exploited by the Bush dictatorship go ahead and die for nothing. These men and women are getting exploited under the guise of patriotism. Your governent has lied and manipulated at every step of this war and you continue to approve sending more people to their death to now referee a civil war, for two groups that in the end will still hate our guts... thats genius....Oh thats right they hate us for our freedom

Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,161 times
In a nation of almost 300 million, it shouldn't be too difficult to find 600 morons. Just look at how many O'Reilly and Limbaugh fans there are...

Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,091 times
Default Useful Fool..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Your a pawn and if you don't mind being exploited by the Bush dictatorship go ahead and die for nothing. These men and women are getting exploited under the guise of patriotism. Your governent has lied and manipulated at every step of this war and you continue to approve sending more people to their death to now referee a civil war, for two groups that in the end will still hate our guts... thats genius....Oh thats right they hate us for our freedom
Dictatorship? Here ? What ? You have no clue about what constitutes a dictatorship !!! Sayonara..........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies