Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
OK, that's it. I have seen enough, and I can't take it anymore. Vote these Republican suckers out in 2012.

I agree

vote anyone out , especially republicans if they expand the government, take away freedoms, restrick business, and increase taxes

jobs will never go back up until we lower the corporate tax, re-enstate import tarriffs, and make it WORTHWHILE to produce here in the USA and not abroad

Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
I would also like to thank the Republicans in advance for resolving the rising gasoline prices. Surely the Republicans will make sure the price will come back to below $2.50. Anything over that is simply unacceptable.
You were kidding,right? those little puppets can do very little to effect gas prices one way or the other? I doubt that the Boner can stop Uncle Ben from printing money{QE} or stop the the banksters when they go long on oil lets say 140 a bar. They could effect gas prices by doing away with the gas tax which I doubt will take place.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
You were kidding,right? those little puppets can do very little to effect gas prices one way or the other? I doubt that the Boner can stop Uncle Ben from printing money{QE} or stop the the banksters when they go long on oil lets say 140 a bar. They could effect gas prices by doing away with the gas tax which I doubt will take place.
Yes, I suppose it was a joke since I don't expect any politician to be able to control oil prices. Not Bush, not Obama, not Boner, no one.

We will see $4.00 this year and maybe $5.00 next year and there is nothing they can do about it. Demand to China will increase global demand by 40%. All we can do is reduce our own consumption, by changing technolgies.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post

Seasonal workers get hired in late October not December.
And they get hired by major retailers, not small businesses with fewer than 50 employees.

Not to mention, retailers were set to hire between half a million and two-thirds of a million seasonal employees this year, which is nearly 3 times the growth in private sector jobs reported for December in the linked article. Clearly the December numbers reported do not include seasonal workers.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That is good news, but it's hardly surprising that the GOP's corporate buddies would start hiring AFTER they won control of the House.

Those same companies have been sitting on a mountain of cash for some time now, but not hiring. To have them suddenly need more workers just as the GOP takes over is more than a little suspicious to me.

Let's see how long it takes the Republican's to take credit for it.

It isn't suspicious, it is because the Republicans took over. People became more confident in the future because the Republicans campaigned on cutting spending, people were very concerned about the direction of the country and are less so know that the Republicans have more power. More public confidence, more spending. more spending means more jobs. So you are quite right it is because of the Republicans and what they promised. If they don't deliver they will be canned.

Of course the Republicans will and should take credit. As you noted this happened after they won, that is no coincidence.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I wish it weren't all service related retail. While they ARE jobs, they typically don't lead anywhere.
But I guess a paycheck is a paycheck.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

announced today....Bj's warehouses to close 5 warehouse stores...600-700 people to lose their jobs
Announced yesterday. . . Dollar General to open 625 new stores. . . 6,000 people to be hired.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
I can tell you that the company I work for (65K + employees) started hiring way before the election, and I can assure companies don't give a rats ass who holds the gavel in Congress. They hire when they have a need to hire and when they see that business is picking up. Do you really think companies would not be hiring if Dems had won the election?

Companies care a great deal who is in charge. Obama started with very anti business rhetoric, he has moderated this since it contributed to a tanking economy. Businesses want people to run the country who understand business and will create stability. There was a great deal of uncertainty about tax policy until the Republicans were elected. Since Obama learned the value of compromise the business community is much more likely to put more capital at risk.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

It isn't suspicious, it is because the Republicans took over. People became more confident in the future because the Republicans campaigned on cutting spending, people were very concerned about the direction of the country and are less so know that the Republicans have more power. More public confidence, more spending. more spending means more jobs. So you are quite right it is because of the Republicans and what they promised. If they don't deliver they will be canned.

Of course the Republicans will and should take credit. As you noted this happened after they won, that is no coincidence.
What crap. December was just one month of increases out of the past ELEVEN MONTHS IN A ROW OF INCREASES IN PRIVATE SECTOR JOBS. Republicans had flickall to do with the past 11 months of job recovery.

But you Republicans are desperate to deny that Democrats and our policies work, and have worked to turn the Republican era near-Depression around.

Desperate.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

Of course they take credit. They always do whether or not they had anything to do with.

As for promises, it turns out they already backed out on their #1 promise (100B spending cut) Didn't take long, did it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies