U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 AM
 
Location: USA
2,593 posts, read 3,645,311 times
Reputation: 2223

Advertisements

It basically says that the only way to get ahead in America is to become a powerball or mega millions winner.

Congrats to the two winners, you will both finally be able to realize the "American Dream" that's out of rach of the vast majority of people.

Imagine if we had a true living wage, universal healthcare, subsidized housing, and free post-secondary education. There might not be any need for lotteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
20,000 posts, read 16,032,642 times
Reputation: 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It basically says that the only way to get ahead in America is to become a powerball or mega millions winner.

Congrats to the two winners, you will both finally be able to realize the "American Dream" that's out of rach of the vast majority of people.

Imagine if we had a true living wage, universal healthcare, subsidized housing, and free post-secondary education. There might not be any need for lotteries.
I think it would be even better with free food, water, heating/cooling, shelter, and cell phone. Don't you?

Oh yeah, and I'm not completely sure but it might be marginally better with a free iPad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
 
Location: USA
2,593 posts, read 3,645,311 times
Reputation: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I think it would be even better with free food, water, heating/cooling, shelter, and cell phone. Don't you?

Oh yeah, and I'm not completely sure but it might be marginally better with a free iPad.
The things you named are pretty affordable, so no.

Free ipad is not a bad idea though, they're great tools for students. Physical books could virtually be eliminated which would help college students a lot. Many books can be downloaded via ibooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Status: "Oh wait, what's this?" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,222 posts, read 18,583,289 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It basically says that the only way to get ahead in America is to become a powerball or mega millions winner.
Um, no it doesn't... That's quite a stretch - Plasticman would be proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Imagine if we had a true living wage, universal healthcare, subsidized housing, and free post-secondary education. There might not be any need for lotteries.
You're right - no lotteries. Nobody would have any money left after paying their taxes and feeding their families.

What's with all the people that want to be coddled by the government from cradle to grave? Don't you people want to do anything for yourself?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
20,000 posts, read 16,032,642 times
Reputation: 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
The things you named are pretty affordable, so no.
Housing is affordable? Food/utilities too? Wow, must be nice!

Quote:
Free ipad is not a bad idea though, they're great tools for students. Physical books could virtually be eliminated which would help college students a lot. Many books can be downloaded via ibooks.
iPads of course don't break and every student would be very responsible with theirs, especially if it were "free".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,479 posts, read 52,367,893 times
Reputation: 24652
More folks become wealthy from inheritance than all the lottery winnings. Even so buying a couple of tickets provides a miniscule chance but is better than remaining broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
20,000 posts, read 16,032,642 times
Reputation: 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
More folks become wealthy from inheritance than all the lottery winnings. Even so buying a couple of tickets provides a miniscule chance but is better than remaining broke.
I've heard statistics that run contrary to the inheritance claim. Could you please offer a cite to support your assertion? Thanks a lot Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
 
Location: South East
4,208 posts, read 3,149,187 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It basically says that the only way to get ahead in America is to become a powerball or mega millions winner.

Congrats to the two winners, you will both finally be able to realize the "American Dream" that's out of rach of the vast majority of people.

Imagine if we had a true living wage, universal healthcare, subsidized housing, and free post-secondary education. There might not be any need for lotteries.


You are describing a world I want no part of!

btw....who would pay for this fantasy, 'entitled' world you dream of? Someone has to have money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
20,000 posts, read 16,032,642 times
Reputation: 3768
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
[/b]

You are describing a world I want no part of!

btw....who would pay for this fantasy, 'entitled' world you dream of? Someone has to have money.
Why, the rich of course! It's not like they hire anyone anyway or invest in anything vital to the economy. iPads come from God's rear end and are farted down towards earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Location: South East
4,208 posts, read 3,149,187 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Why, the rich of course! It's not like they hire anyone anyway or invest in anything vital to the economy. iPads come from God's rear end and are farted down towards earth.

LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top