Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Black persons took something I owned (I took a hell of an ass whipping trying to keep it) My fault though, I should have known I had crossed into Wellston, MO (just outside of the St. Louis city line)

As far as something I've "should have gotten", unless less someone points it out specifically how would I know?

I don't spend time on that victim bullsh*t anyways. I just keep hustling.

Correct, I am part of a race of oppressors. Gender too, DOUBLE BONUS!!!

Have we met before? Are you from Wellston, MO by any chance?
Well, that makes two of us. Got my patootie kicked in by some white kids in Melvindale, Michigan (a neighoring 'burb, tough town, and hostile to black folks) one time because they liked my bicycle more than i did. LOL...no hard feelings. They probably needed it more than i did anyway. What can you do? You just chalk it up and keep it moving.

I don't spend time being a victim either. And i'm also a hustler. See, we have a few things in common.

Oppressors? Never said that. Nobody can oppress me. Besides, i'm married to an "oppressor" anyway. LMAO

Nope...not from Missouri (thank God), but even if i was, i doubt that you had anything worth me taking it from you...even if i did bump into you by some coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:27 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I welcome diversity also, but only if it is natural. By this I mean that diversity for the benefit of everyone around in the particular situation.

Many times, however, it seems that some people promote diversity simply to have a grand rainbow of people, whether it helps or not. I am a 42yo disabled caucasian man. If someone hires me just for these "attibutes", it will help me in the short term, but I don't want someone more qualified than I to NOT be hired simply because there is a "nice face" to the company for hiring someone disabled. This is just an example.
I'm deaf-blind and I suspect the job I got was partially because of my deaf-blindness. I got hired on the spot when the manager saw me using my braille display and tactile signing and was amazed that I could communicate and use a computer. One of the co-workers also told them about my avid interest in the same field the job entails.

They LOVE talking about me there to customers, explaining how I do this and that. I know they talk about me cause customers come up to me and write messages on my hand like "you're beautiful" or "you're amazing", yadda yadda yadda. It makes the company look good cause gasp, they hired a deaf-blind person.

I had no problem taking the job though because they created the position for me, so no competing candidates, and also, I do know a lot about the field I'm working in, so I am more than qualified. However, if I was asked to work just because I was deaf-blind, that would make me uncomfortable. That's what bugged me about the minority hires in my high school I mentioned. I didn't care about minorities who were actually qualified, but I would sooner be dead than let someone hire me for the sole reason that I'm deaf-blind. I'm also far from letting myself get lazy just because I know they can't fire me without worrying about an ADA lawsuit.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:25 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I think diversity is a great thing for the benefits of exchanging ideas among various cultures and people of different education and experiences.

Many times, however, it seems as though diversity is wanted only to show that a company has equality and the benefits of diversity seem irrelavant. For example, if a particular organization or disipline is composed of 93% men and only 7% women, some people will clammer that "we need more women in (this or that)." If that is the case, many people seem to make the case that women are being excluded from that situation. What if they aren't being excluded, but just don't want to be a part of this or that? Should we have them there just to be there?

I have heard of companies going out of their way to hire people of a certain race, sex, nationality or whatever just to say they have so many of "this or that" type of quality, with no regard to the quality of the personnel being obtained. Another example: If I advertise a need for 7 people who have a certain training and 6 of these people who are qualified and HIRED are chinese, why should it matter that I am not diverse enough (for some people) if qualified people get the jobs?

So, I ask, is this country advocating diversity just for diversity's sake?
Multiculturalism is flawed to begin with. The best person for any job in any walk of life should get the job period. "Diversity," and all of that other talk is pure BS. Affirmative Action, "DREAM" (Nightmare) Acts, etc. are examples of racism and discrimination masked in feel good terms like "diversity."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies