Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:17 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Unless I see some data regarding HIV being transmitted in this way (you would both have to be cut simultaneously, or they would have to bleed in your mouth or something, and even THEN it's still unlikely) I'm not going to worry about it, since the likelihood of it happening is so low that it is not even worth considering by any sane person.

You remind me of the kids that thought you could catch it from toilet seats back in the 1980's.

How do you know your stylist doesn't have hepatitis? Typhoid fever? Bubonic plague?

Seriously. You had better not leave the house. It's too dangerous. Just stock up on canned cat food and tinfoil and you'll be fine.
Like I said, if you don't mind people with highly deadly diseases that transmit through blood working on you with sharp objects, that's on you. I think there is something wrong with you, but that's just my opinion. Is a surgeon with HIV allowed to operate on people? I bet not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There absolutley is. They work with sharp objects. Enough said...
Please point to a documented case of HIV being transmitted this way. If you can't (which is the case, since HIV isn't transmitted through hair cuts-- even if the stylist cuts themselves) then it's just another case of ignorance driven by bias.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Is a surgeon with HIV allowed to operate on people? I bet not.
Yes, as far as I know, HIV-positive surgeons are allowed to operate on people.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No. I don't know of any state in the country that requires an HIV test for cosmetologists. Guess you'll have to start cutting your own hair if you want to stay safe.
Well like I said, its just a personal thing for me. Nothing against people with HIV, just if I know, I would chose another stylist.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Again, please provide a documented case of it actually happening.

Since you are so worried about these types of possibilities, I assume you are for the strictest gun control standards?
Look, I don't know where you think I'm at on this issue. I really don't care one way or another if a stylist is banned from a school or not. I think if the school is privately funded then the government should mind their own damned business, but other than that, it doesn't matter to me.

I don't care if a HIV positive person wants to cut hair, none of my business.

What is my business is that I choose for personal reasons not to have my hair cut by someone who is HIV positive. Its just my choice. Kind of like saying I don't want someone wearing a purple scarf cutting my hair. Its my choice where I get my hair cut, thats my right.

I never once said that someone that is HIV positive shouldn't be allowed to cut hair.

As far as an example, HIV has been passed through blood to blood contact. Transfusion is blood to blood contact. The chance that a droplet of blood touching a small wound on me of giving me HIV would be trillions to one probably, I understand that. But its my choice not to take a unnecessary risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies