Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
So there was a
video that came out yesterday about a teenager getting whoopped by his uncle for acting like a thug on Facebook. I feel a little embarrassed for the teen but I think his uncle did the right thing and, eventhough Im not a parent, I think it should be used in some occasions (not all of em tho)

So what do you think? Do you consider whipping children as discipline or child-abuse?

mas23

Two separate things. Whipping/spanking is not the same class of physicality that an actual beating constitutes. Same way making a kid fearful of dad coming home hearing about them getting in trouble at school is different from brutal emotional and psychological abuse some parents inflict on their kids. One is effective, albeit old school, discipline. The other is just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
There was once a man who sold a farmer a mule. He told the farmer not to beat the mule or else the mule would sit down and not work.
The farmer took the mule home and hooked him to the plow; he then yelled "geehaaa".
The mule just stood there. The farmer yelled and yelled but the mule would not move.
The man who sold the farmer the mule was walking by and saw the trouble he was having and offered to help. He picked up a piece of wood and smacked the mule upside his head and yelled "gehaaa". The mule took off and began to pull the plow.
Later the man questioned the man, saying that he had told him not to beat the mule.
The man replied that what he did was not beating the mule he said 'I was just getting his attention".

Sometimes kids like mules need something to get their attention
OMGosh, how funny. lol

I believe this to be true. I was spanked as a child. Not much, because my mom got my attention. In the 6th grade, I was hanging with the wrong girls. She straighten my little azz out. I stopped causing trouble in class.

When is the time to pop Johnny's hand and say, "hey, you don't hit mommy" or "you don't tell mommy no"? When is the time for that?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Two separate things. Whipping/spanking is not the same class of physicality that an actual beating constitutes. Same way making a kid fearful of dad coming home hearing about them getting in trouble at school is different from brutal emotional and psychological abuse some parents inflict on their kids. One is effective, albeit old school, discipline. The other is just wrong.
wow this will probably get in the wrong hands and the uncle will go to jail or face charges but as you can see the uncle really did not spank him as hard as he could have .

Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow this will probably get in the wrong hands and the uncle will go to jail or face charges but as you can see the uncle really did not spank him as hard as he could have .
And people wonder why there are so many punks and thugs these days. We need more father figures setting their kids straight like the uncle did. Maybe after a generation of course correcting we can get back on track. Granted if more kids were raised by dad (the defacto authority figure of households for generations) things would also turn around. As it stands for those in the inner-cities, 70% of births are to unwed women. IMO the beginning of our society's downfall started with the ejection of men from their children's lives by their mothers acting as gatekeepers, but that's another topic entirely.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:37 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,452 times
Depends on how you do it. I used to think it was child abuse.. but now seeing all these generations of little coddled, egotistical, out of control sociopaths coming up in the world... I say bring it back... It's what they need more than anything....! (Done properly, if & when needed,, of course.)

Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,452 times
<IMO the beginning of our society's downfall started with the ejection of men from their children's lives by their mothers acting as gatekeepers, but that's another topic entirely.>

nutz76-- Hmmm... that's an intersting statement. Do you blame billions of women (throughout history) for being abandoned by the men in their lives...? What is the better alternative than being a 'gatekeeper'... being in the poorhouse or putting your kid in an orphanage...? What are women supposed to do..? Most of them don't WANT to be abandoned...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I got whipped as a child a few times and that stopped that. It to me waqs a sign of thsi is a real no no.Most of the time i got a swat with teh hand tho.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
<IMO the beginning of our society's downfall started with the ejection of men from their children's lives by their mothers acting as gatekeepers, but that's another topic entirely.>

nutz76-- Hmmm... that's an intersting statement. Do you blame billions of women (throughout history) for being abandoned by the men in their lives...? What is the better alternative than being a 'gatekeeper'... being in the poorhouse or putting your kid in an orphanage...? What are women supposed to do..? Most of them don't WANT to be abandoned...
Come on, you mean to say that there aren't a lot of women who regard the child as basically "theirs", and after the birth, treat the father as no more than a "walking ATM", if not a "nuisance"?

And Lesbian mothers are simply the most extreme example of that attitude.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times
It's the same as beating. It teaches fear and not true respect.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:21 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Unfortunately as parents we lose control and hit our children because we believe it is disciplining them. IMO hitting is subjugation not discipline. both work . The word discipline comes from the word Decipher, to teach. It is much more time consuming to get children to behave by using behavior modification methods that do not involve hitting. It is common to hit kids when the kids are involved in a behavior that will result in pain like playing in the street when they are too young or heading for a light socket with a fork. I would be embarrassed if I was on youtube beating my kid like a slave driver. I came from a neighborhood where parents would beat their kids outside to humiliate them. I saw a man beat his daughters . I saw a man tie his teenager up and beat him. The older the kids were the more violent the beatings. Extension cords, water hoses, razor straps were all common and acceptable. The football teams in youth leagues I played on used straps, elementary school teachers used Jump ropes. It was like the Black people I grew up around had a fascination with being a slave driver and beating their kids and students. I think some of them got a rush out of it.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-08-2011 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies