Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,501 times

Advertisements

My main issue with America is how fat and stupid we've become. It's embarrassing really. I often think of moving to Europe, away from the small minded pettiness that has taken over this country. Not to mention the lack of civility, lack of respect, lack of human decency that developed over the last ten years. The insane rhetoric about health care, the way we beat up on the poor, the lack of empathy, lack of care for our fellow Americans....it's absolutely despicable how we act. Unfortunately I think it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:29 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
My main issue with America is how fat and stupid we've become. It's embarrassing really. I often think of moving to Europe, away from the small minded pettiness that has taken over this country. Not to mention the lack of civility, lack of respect, lack of human decency that developed over the last ten years. The insane rhetoric about health care, the way we beat up on the poor, the lack of empathy, lack of care for our fellow Americans....it's absolutely despicable how we act. Unfortunately I think it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
My main issue is that there are too many superficial people in America. You shouldn't put fat and stupid within the same category. Because I know many skinny people who were dumb as rocks.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:47 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
One word: leave. There are too many people in America already.
REP!

OP, just because people don't agree with you or simply tell you to "Leave," doesn't mean we are all closed-minded patriotic people. We ARE patriotic, but a lot of us aren't closed-minded. We really just don't agree with you at all. Also, OP, have you traveled the world or lived in other countries? You might change your opinion.

Also, I want to say that I've known and still know a lot of people that live in the U.S. or who left here and they are convinced that they are not "American" and that the U.S. is a cesspool of everything that is bad. I'm going to tell you all straight up what I noticed about those people: 1) they are know-it-alls, they think they know what is best for people, they don't understand why people do what they do (whether it is eating a McDonalds cheeseburger or going to a mall on Black Friday), basically, they are narcissists or borderline, 2) they are crybabies. They want this world that is the way they want it and the United States just doesn't live up to the task.

I am not saying that this is true of the OP, but I am just saying that this has been my experience. So, I'm not trying to label the person or anything like that.

Last edited by SoEdible; 01-12-2011 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Depending on what actually happens in his third world experience, and if someone spends enough time there... it is pretty inevitable that something will happen, literally kissing the ground when getting back through U.S. customs is not an abnormal experience.
My first time overseas, lol, that's what I did. I attribute that to a natural home-sickness though and that's the thing, there are no countries in which I would rather live that don't have some trivial reason for me to want to live there. For instance, weather, culture, those would be reasons to want to live in other countries, but notice "government," "opportunity," "rights," are never reasons we mention for why we would move to another country.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree with you, and I think you should ignore the people who are telling you to leave. To me, they're the ones who are anti-American because they want to silence you. They apparently don't think you have a right to criticize anything we do, and I guess they don't believe that our country can be anything better than what it is today. You have to pity them, really.
This is an example of how people won't allow others to have an opinion. He/she talks about "silencing," but that's what they are trying to do to the people in here that don't agree with the OP. What's wrong with saying, "Leave?" Isn't it pretty simple, true and to-the-point? Isn't that a logical option? That's one thing I never understood about people who essentially make declarations about the U.S. as the OP did, they never leave. An issue and topic like this is one that would make a person want to leave the country so that they would not have to contribute their time and money to it, so why stay? Of course, not everyone can afford to just get up and leave, but sometimes the effort to leave isn't even there.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
A twenty one year old has the insight to see what is happening to this once great nation and democracy and share his/her feelings to possibly gather feedback or words of wisdom and that's all ya got? You are the very type of American that has brought this nation to despair and is disappointing the youth. I'll bet you're a Republican.
Wow ... my gosh, some of you all really need to look in the mirror. You're just as bad as the people you are condemning. Is is REALLY that deep? "Despair?" "Disappointing the youth?" LOL You bet they are a Republican? That's real nice of you.

Why does everyone online seem to have it all figured out about the United States and people? Anyone else notice that? We sit behind our computer screens and suddenly we are Nobel Peace Prize winners or God. We judge and throw around terms, accusations and try to define other people.

We got some soapboxes.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boompa View Post
making a good case for bringing back the draft
lol

Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetc View Post
you forgot to mention the people who complain about everything.
ba-da-bing!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Very few countries have nothing in their relative historical backgrounds to be, for lack of a better phrase, not proud of.

[may as well not be proud to an Earthling]
Yeah, kinda like the Europeans that decided to gather up a bunch of Africans and take them across the Atlantic. Or how about religious wars? The OP doesn't mention that history, lol. I bet Europe may be on his/her list of places to move, but that can't be possible with their history.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:09 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
There are some places in America I would not want to live, and would much rather live in a different country than live in "that" America.

I've also lived in other countries, and found some were pretty nice, and some were not. (Even a developing country can be pretty nice if you yourself have money.)

New Orleans is not like New York. San Antonio is not like San Fransisco.

Small towns are not like big cities.

There are places in the U.S. I really like, and there are cities in foreign countries I like a lot, too.

Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies