U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM

12,013 posts, read 2,221,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think it is easy to look from the outside and come to a conclusion about people; yet there is more to people than what u see. Everyone has a story. Americans tend to have such a privileged perspective and a limited world view that seems to incite hatred... It's hard to look beyond the comforts of your own life and see... Our judgments tend to carry the bias of our own experiences and sometimes that is blinding. I forget what famous person said it is not wise to make a judgement about your fellow until u have walked a mile in the other person's shoes, lived life in his or her skin or looked at things from the other's perspective.

There is more going on in America than pride and a bucket of paint can resolve. I think maybe it is the absence of love. I mean we got plenty love for money, power and things. We certainly have enough love for self and family too. However we are lacking love for the "bread and butter" of life -the love of justice, equity, unity, compassion, morality, tolerance inclusion, respect and mercy. We are lacking in the kind of love that moves humanity closer to God qualities... Can u imagine if we really loved peace more than war? Maybe there would be know need to have the conversation we are now having. Instead America seems like one big battleground where factions struggle to have their way over the weak and sit at the top of the food chain and chant to the world the "I HAVE ARRIVED so bite me" It's the American way. Unfortunately, I don't have the a profound resolution to offer. Just many of the problems and judgments...
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,589,104 times
Sorry to say I agree with the OP.

I often wonder, looking around as you did, what ever happened to modesty, style and shame?

This nation is getting fatter by the day and most people have no problem showing off that extra flesh in the most unflattering and embarrassing get ups.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:18 PM

14,920 posts, read 11,161,316 times
I've always said that if I ever make a billion dollars I want to buy the Country Buffet chain and rename it The Feeding Trough.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 PM

11,435 posts, read 17,146,749 times
Eating at an all you can eat buffet and insulting over weight people, I find people to be shallow who judge people by thier looks.
Tolerance is only one sided.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,707,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
That can't afford meat & fresh vegetables so they can buy items that are cheaper.
If they can afford to eat out, they can afford meat and veggies. More often than not it is not knowing any better or outright laziness.

The cost of fresh healthy food is so overrated as an excuse for fat.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,548,906 times
No offense. But isn't this thread more suited for the "Health & Beauty" boards? I clicked on it expecting to read about Americans being rude abroad; not wide and broad.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM

14,920 posts, read 11,161,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Eating at an all you can eat buffet and insulting over weight people, I find people to be shallow who judge people by thier looks.
Tolerance is only one sided.
It's one thing to judge people because of some natural aspect of how they look - height, deformity, skin color, hair color. It's another thing to judge someone because of his or her behavioral choice to be a fatty (a choice that may very well end up bankrupting America through reduced productivity and exponentially increasing heath care costs associated with diabetes and heart disease).

Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,589,104 times
Well...when these same over eaters are condemning their children to a lifetime of pain and suffering due to their bad habits and choices at the dinner table...tolerance is in short supply.

I just cringe when I see grossly obese parents tugging along obese/overweight children.

I have told both my girls I will TELL them if they start getting fat.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:37 PM

5,129 posts, read 4,777,666 times
Huh I am not sure where all you live but I have to say where I live most people dress very well. The women that pick up their kids at school with me dress very nice. Some kids dress a bit out there for me but overall nice. Hair is done, make-up, bras the whole deal. Perhaps it has more to do with where you are in the US then the US as a whole.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,660,022 times
What can we do to turn it around?

What makes you think we NEED to "turn around" other people you find offensive? What business is of yours or anyone else's if people want to dress how they dress?

Here's a tip: This is America, where people are free to be whomever they want to be and that's how it should stay. They don't answer to you or any of us for the clothes they wear or the condition of their bodies. It's called FREEDOM. You've heard of that, haven't you?

How about this: If you don't like how other people look, stay home or, better yet, work on developing a little tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies