Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:40 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I can make a big pot of beef stew that lasts for 3-4 days for less money then one of those frozen one person "beef stew" meals in the freezer aisle.
Yup! Good stuff my Texan brother.... bonus = slow cooked you can buy the crappiest fattiest types of meat and you are rocking and rolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
There's nothing unhealthy about packaged foods either - it's just more expensive. In reality, a food stamp recipient would probably get fatter from cooking his own food, given that home-cooked meals cost much less, but there's the temptation to use up the entire allowance, since he can't exactly spend the excess on non-food items. The reason people are obese is not because they're getting insufficient nutrients; they're getting too much nutrition.
Oh, yes there is. In order to sit on the shelves they must be loaded with preservatives - primarily salt. Excess salt in the diet is extremely unhealthy.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
I can make a big pot of beef stew that lasts for 3-4 days for less money then one of those frozen one person "beef stew" meals in the freezer aisle.
Frozen Dinner List (http://ferringdeli.com/frozendinner.aspx - broken link)
Quote:
Beef Stew
$6.49
Hamilton Beach 33967 HB 6 Qt. Slow Cooker
Quote:
Hamilton Beach 33967 HB 6 Qt. Slow Cooker
$50 nearby

Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
You have to buy a new crockpot for each meal? Wow, I just soak mine for awhile then it comes clean.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
You don't even need a crockpot...make on the weekend when you are home..low burn on the stove and just add more water/broth. Heats up the house nice too if it's a bit chilly outside.

Just looked it up..12Qt stockpot at Wallyworld...$13.00

Old 01-08-2011, 10:01 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You have to buy a new crockpot for each meal? Wow, I just soak mine for awhile then it comes clean.
You might have to buy one

Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Wow. I never said any of that. You shouldn't extrapolate intention from people's posts.

Someone said we should tolerate obesity and I simply pointed out that there's a strong health care cost reason to address it as a disease and try to remedie it rather than endorse it.

I never said anything about people's productivity or their looks or their clothes or their income.
LOL I was caught up in the moment, Tolerant was just aimed for some here that use it for their cause but not when it goes against them.
When I see someone running down someone because they don't fit in their idea then it urps me and i just mean the topic "The ugly American, How can we change the view?" It kinda gets me pushed outta shape.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
corn fattens cattle. Why does anyone not think it will fatten people too ?
Corn is in almost all of our food due to sugar being too expensive.
Excellent point. And, another is that anymore, husband and wife both work or they did before the economy fell through the floor and it is often hard to prepare healthy nutritious meals when you still have homework to oversee, laundry to wash and fold, a meal to prepare and clear away, etc, etc, etc. Sure, it can be done with some will and planning, but, it takes a lot of that and people are often just plain tired. Then, it becomes easy to pull out a frozen pasta quick dish that is loaded with fat/salt or fast food.

Things are not always as simple as they seem on the surface.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Crockpots are unsafe. My DH had a girlfriend who was a home ec. major at the U of IL. She did some research on crockpots; they don't get the food hot enough.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Excellent point. And, another is that anymore, husband and wife both work or they did before the economy fell through the floor and it is often hard to prepare healthy nutritious meals when you still have homework to oversee, laundry to wash and fold, a meal to prepare and clear away, etc, etc, etc. Sure, it can be done with some will and planning, but, it takes a lot of that and people are often just plain tired. Then, it becomes easy to pull out a frozen pasta quick dish that is loaded with fat/salt or fast food.

Things are not always as simple as they seem on the surface.
Yup, in this day and age of go-go-go one has to set priorities. And therefore folks need to work to get that simplicity back.

I stick to 1 or 2 pot meals during the week.
The planning..I do that when I food shop.
The will..well getting dinner started is the first thing when I get home from work. It's just habit for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies