Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Where is anyone doing "things like lower education quality?"
You can't ruin ruin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Jealous? Nah, I'm just gonna sit back with a bowl of popcorn and enjoy the Spin Doctors concert
maybe you should familurize yourself with all the links on the net saying your source is an idiot, liar and hater of things republican ?

oh wait, you're obviously from kalifornia, you have no interest in the truth

Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
do you have fact supporting your lies ?
otherwise you post is nothing but an ignorant opinion.
you should understand how the state of Texas budget works, maybe if you hurry you can edit your post before its too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
...Texas already has the most ignorant population in the country, all the high-skilled jobs are held either by foreigners or Americans from other states. Although after spending a few years in Texas and learning how anti-intellectual Texans are, I don't think concerns about education is the top-priority for them. During gubernatorial elections among the major concerns of the voters was the candidates' stance on gun rights, christian values, and some other irrelevant bull**** but not so much economy, education or healthcare. Also Texans aren't the kind who are willing to make sacrifices, therefore it will be impossible to explain to them that sometimes for the sake of your state (that you supposedly love so much) you're gonna have to "tighten up your belts" a bit. No one is ever gonna give up their personal comfort, it's much easier to blame everything on illegals and democrats.

PS. If America was a lunatic asylum, Texas would be its ward for criminally insane.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
maybe you should familurize yourself with all the links on the net saying your source is an idiot, liar and hater of things republican ?

oh wait, you're obviously from kalifornia, you have no interest in the truth
Well, why don't you post some truth and we'll see?

What links allege "source is an idiot, liar and hater of things republican"? Right Wing Blogs?

BTW, just to show how baseless your little whiney rant truly is I could hardly be any further from California and still be in the lower 48, it takes me about 30 seconds to go dip my toes in the Atlantic

Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Burdell...when you don't have enough money for everyone's salaries..what do you do ? Layoffs aren't pretty but they've been going on for a number of years. So many teachers got layed off in other states and have flocked to Texas. They still cannot find jobs and have the substitute lists filled up.
I often wonder just why were so many hired in the first place if they're not really needed?

Quote:
I think you're going to see more drastic measures taken in other states that have much bigger budget deficits. And I cannot see the Fed just standing by and not doing anything although they've indicated that there is no more fed money for schools (stimulus).

2011 is going to be a very telling year for states.
I don't believe either side of the aisle has any concrete solutions. You say " I cannot see the Fed just standing by and not doing anything " yet the right is happy to tell us the Fed should keep their nose out. Which one is it? We can't have it both ways.

People speak of these problems as if they're new when we've been building them for many, many years. Everyone supports spending cuts except when those cuts affect them negatively. Do you really expect to see any legislator support cuts that affect their constituency negatively? Compound this with the fact many of those same legislators are being romanced by free spending lobbyists pushing different issues and how do we correct it?

The system isn't broken, it's functioning as its design allows. The question is how do we redesign it?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:39 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Our budget shortfall is no surprise. Where did you get that idea from ?
It's been talked about since mid last year.

Perry is Republican, not Tea Party. Debra Medina was the Tea Party candidate and she's not Governor is she ?

So, you misread my teabag reference as Tea Party. It's good that we both recognize the difference. Odd that you'd confuse them, though.

Quote:
Here's an article from May 2010..months before Perry got re-elected.
Texas is facing $18 billion budget shortfall | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Or August 2010..still months before Texas elections:
Facing Budget Shortfall, Texas Spends $250M on Illegal Immigrant Care - FoxNews.com
And it was actually considerably worse than those articles revealed, as we now know.

Quote:
The outlook in Texas is "grim" ?
Be lucky you're here and not in CA or IL or NJ.
Luck plays no part.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Your ignorance about Perry's part affiliation is as bad as your understanding of economics.
And in your ignorance, you conflated my reference to Perry's shameless attempts to appeal to the teabaggers as his party affiliation.

Quote:
Try this one:

"The Texas economy continues to outperform the U.S. economy in the current recovery. The state's economy gained 194,400 jobs from November 2009 to November 2010, an annual growth rate of 1.9 percent. Over the same period, the U.S. economy gained 842,000 jobs, an annual growth rate of 0.6 percent. Texas' private sector continues to play a key role in creating jobs. The state's private sector posted an annual employment growth rate of 2.2 percent compared with 1 percent for the U.S. private sector from November 2009 to November 2010. "

Monthly Review of Texas Economy, December 2010 -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University

Try this one:

Wasn’t Texas supposed to be thriving even as the rest of America suffered? Didn’t its governor declare, during his re-election campaign, that “we have billions in surplus� Yes, it was, and yes, he did. But reality has now intruded, in the form of a deficit expected to run as high as $25 billion over the next two years.

How bad is the Texas deficit? Comparing budget crises among states is tricky, for technical reasons. Still, data from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities suggest that the Texas budget gap is worse than New York’s, about as bad as California’s, but not quite up to New Jersey levels.
The point, however, is that just the other day Texas was being touted as a role model (and still is by commentators who haven’t been keeping up with the news). It was the state the recession supposedly passed by, thanks to its low taxes and business-friendly policies. Its governor boasted that its budget was in good shape thanks to his “tough conservative decisions.â€

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/op...rssnyt&emc=rss

Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
You're the one should be worried about budget cuts. Especially when there's nothing left to cut. Texas already has the most ignorant population in the country, all the high-skilled jobs are held either by foreigners or Americans from other states. Although after spending a few years in Texas and learning how anti-intellectual Texans are, I don't think concerns about education is the top-priority for them. During gubernatorial elections among the major concerns of the voters was the candidates' stance on gun rights, christian values, and some other irrelevant bull**** but not so much economy, education or healthcare. Also Texans aren't the kind who are willing to make sacrifices, therefore it will be impossible to explain to them that sometimes for the sake of your state (that you supposedly love so much) you're gonna have to "tighten up your belts" a bit. No one is ever gonna give up their personal comfort, it's much easier to blame everything on illegals and democrats.

PS. If America was a lunatic asylum, Texas would be its ward for criminally insane.
I can vouch for much of what you say. We live in one of the most affluent suburbs in Texas. http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/08/ame...hisSpeed=15000

Most of the parents of the kids here are from California, Illinois, Maryland, New York, Europe etc......maybe 35% graduated from Texas Universities?

Last edited by padcrasher; 01-08-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I often wonder just why were so many hired in the first place if they're not really needed?

The system isn't broken, it's functioning as its design allows. The question is how do we redesign it?
The way government funding works is if you don't spend it this year then you won't get it next year.

Yeah, I agree the system needs a redesign.
Major question though..you cannot please everyone yet everyone wants to be pleased.

I volunteer in the Austin schools..I see the waste.
Why do I have to get a criminal background check done by each Austin school..why not do it once at the district level ? How many duplicate jobs is that ?

Why are the schools HIRING p/t workers as lunch monitors in schools ?
Get the parents to volunteer..lunch period is but 45 minutes easily accomplished by a parent using their lunch hour to come to the school to walk around and help the kids open their ketchup packets and try to prevent food fights or clean up spilled milk.

Why does each school have a grant person ? This is one item they are talking of consolidating among districts.

These are the fluff items I see and read about. Get rid of all that first, get the parents back into the schools to help out. Now see where your budget stands.

If it ever got to cutting core curriculum and core teachers though I'd be the first one to loudly object but that is not even on the table for discussion.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
The way government funding works is if you don't spend it this year then you won't get it next year.
We see it in industry too when we see a company cut thousands of jobs. What were those people doing if they weren't needed?

Quote:
Yeah, I agree the system needs a redesign.
Major question though..you cannot please everyone yet everyone wants to be pleased.
Exactly! Everyone wants to be pleased yet few want to pay.

Quote:
I volunteer in the Austin schools..I see the waste.
Why do I have to get a criminal background check done by each Austin school..why not do it once at the district level ? How many duplicate jobs is that ?
That's just crazy.

Quote:
Why does each school have a grant person ? This is one item they are talking of consolidating among districts.
That too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies