Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legislation to view an ultrasound before an abortion?
Yes, they need to see it and I hope it reduces the number of abortions 38 24.68%
No, I don't think it would make a difference in the number of abortions 7 4.55%
No, I don't want gov't interfering in this area or I support the right to choice 104 67.53%
Maybe/I don't care 5 3.25%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Huh? None of it is okay with me. But again, the problem is that most folks are ignorant of what goes on at each stage of pregnancy. They just know they don't feel good or they're gaining weight.

Abortion Statistics 2005

Stats on who gets abortions, from the link (even if they are a little old):

60% of abortions are performed on women who already have one or more children

47% of abortions are performed on women who have already had one or more abortions.

47% of abortions are performed on women who have already had one or more abortions.

Age - 52% of women getting an abortion are younger than 25 years old and 19% are teenagers. The abortion rate is highest for those women aged 18 to 19 (56 per 1,000 in 1992.)

Marriage - 51% of women who are unmarried when they become pregnant will receive an abortion. Unmarried women are 6 times more likely than married women to have an abortion. 67% of abortions are from women who have never been married.

Race - 63% of abortion patients are white. African-American women are more than 3 times as likely to have an abortion, and Hispanic women are 2.5 times as likely.
The only thing this stat proves is that most people think you should mind your own business about their private reproductive decisions. That and the need for better sex education and birth control methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? Of course it's my belief. I am entitled to it, as are you. Calling me arrogant and self-righteous is a personal attack. I think you need to reread the TOS.
How can you not understand? Your belief about abortion dictates your actions regarding any pregnancy you might have, which is fine and dandy. However, you want your belief re abortion to dictate the actions that all women take regarding their pregnancies. How would you label that kind of attitude??

Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
For the last time, you do not know what you would be looking at if you have never seen it before. You also do not know about this specific child, as they are all different.
oh please you don't need to know what the baloney sandwich looks like exactly that I am making you in the other room but you sure have a good idea don't you. one 7 week old u/s is gonna look like another at that age you can't tell if the hair is red or brown.

there is no reason for anyone to have to look at an u/s that is going to have an abortion. none other than punitive.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The only thing this stat proves is that most people think you should mind your own business about their private reproductive decisions. That and the need for better sex education and birth control methods.
the study is also from 2005. still it only tells me that who ever is aborting it is none of my business.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

How in the world is that what the statistics say? Please explain it to me.

As for sex education? That argument fails, since almost half of the women who get abortions have already had a previous abortion(let alone the 3/5ths of women who already have children when they have their abortion). I am pretty sure the women realize that sex = pregnancy, they are just too lazy or stupid to do anything about it.

And birth control? The statistics actually show that half of the women seeking abortions are basically treating abortion as a form of birth control.

They are self-centered people, who don't associate an abortion as killing someone, but only that it is an inconvenience for them that needs to be gotten rid of.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
How in the world is that what the statistics say? Please explain it to me.

As for sex education? That argument fails, since almost half of the women who get abortions have already had a previous abortion(let alone the 3/5ths of women who already have children when they have their abortion). I am pretty sure the women realize that sex = pregnancy, they are just too lazy or stupid to do anything about it.

And birth control? The statistics actually show that half of the women seeking abortions are basically treating abortion as a form of birth control.

They are self-centered people, who don't associate an abortion as killing someone, but only that it is an inconvenience for them that needs to be gotten rid of.
and?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
The majority of women getting these procedures are NOT in the same situation as the woman who posted that she had three children already and was in her 40s.
But, if it was up to you, you would have gladly forced MsMcQLV to have that baby.

A baby, born when the mother was 43 and a hairs breadth away from menopause, could have easily been born with Downs Syndrome.

MsMcQLV could have been left alone to raise a 5 year old Downs child all by herself, while also trying to care for her dying husband.

But, hey, that would have all been OK......because you got what YOU wanted.

Don't you see how selfish you are? What makes you think YOU know what is best for everyone?

How arrogant of you to think that YOU know what is best for someone else and that everyone that doesn't believe as you do needs to be shown the error of their ways.

How dare you think that others need to follow your interpretation of what god wants or even to presume that someone believes in any god.

Did you ever stop to think that "god" was guiding MsMcQLV when she made her decision to abort? You are not god, so you will never know.....so don't you think it best that you allow people to make their own decisions on abortion? Maybe YOU don't know what is best? Maybe god is working in ways that YOU cannot even begin to understand?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
and?
My question to you is, should abortion be used as a form of birth control? I think that is the primary complaint that anti-abortion folks have about abortions.

Do you think a woman who chooses to have sex out-of-wedlock, who ends up pregnant, should be allowed to just discard the baby because it gets in the way of her "fun"?

To me that seems to be the sort of philosophical basis for pro-choice people. Since women can still get pregnant even if they use a birth control method, then they cannot really be held responsible for that pregnancy. Therefore they should be able to abort that pregnancy if they do not want it.

The only alternative would be to not have sex at all. Which isn't really a "fair" request. Especially since men can philander but not be held to the same accountability(they cannot get pregnant).

So the debate really boils down to basically. Should someone have the right to tell a woman that she cannot have sex at all, unless she wants to become pregnant(because there is always the possibility of it happening).

It is not an easy question to answer, but I still hate the thought of abortions being used as birth control, and I despise humanity seeming to glorify promiscuity.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? Of course it's my belief. I am entitled to it, as are you. Calling me arrogant and self-righteous is a personal attack. I think you need to reread the TOS.
I think you completely missed her point. Yes, you are entitled to have an opinion. Yes, you have the right to express that opinion. But, if your only source for that opinion is your religious beliefs, you do come across as arrogant and self righteous when you insist others should live by YOUR beliefs. And the other poster wasn't calling you arrogant or self righteous, but attempting to get you to see how others could see your postings.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
But, if it was up to you, you would have gladly forced MsMcQLV to have that baby.

A baby, born when the mother was 43 and a hairs breadth away from menopause, could have easily been born with Downs Syndrome.

MsMcQLV could have been left alone to raise a 5 year old Downs child all by herself, while also trying to care for her dying husband.

But, hey, that would have all been OK......because you got what YOU wanted.

Don't you see how selfish you are? What makes you think YOU know what is best for everyone?

How arrogant of you to think that YOU know what is best for someone else and that everyone that doesn't believe as you do needs to be shown the error of their ways.

How dare you think that others need to follow your interpretation of what god wants or even to presume that someone believes in any god.

Did you ever stop to think that "god" was guiding MsMcQLV when she made her decision to abort? You are not god, so you will never know.....so don't you think it best that you allow people to make their own decisions on abortion? Maybe YOU don't know what is best? Maybe god is working in ways that YOU cannot even begin to understand?

It makes me wonder why an almost menopausal woman or her dying husband didn't get "fixed". I would much rather have the government supporting a program that gives out vasectomies for free, rather than having government supported abortion clinics.

I would almost rather give every man a vasectomy at birth, and only reverse it once they have the means to take care of a child. Rather than have any abortion clinics at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies