Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times

Advertisements

Did Obama,the First Lady and a half dozen Dem politicians go?

Were there shirts and hats made up to be handed out to the crowd?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

I'm not sure why people are obsessed with comparing these two separate events. The Ft Hood tragedy was on a military base, and involved military personnel. It's entirely appropriate that the military and the victims' families would have decided how to handle the memorials and how to honor the victims.

Congresswoman Giffords was a national legislator, and was the target, and a Federal judge and a legislative aide were among the victims, so it's entirely appropriate that people involved in politics would attend memorial services and speak of their colleague.

I personally don't think that T-shirts and other commercializations of this tragedy is particularly tasteful, but I life in a free country where the business community is free to commercialize any events they wish.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not sure why people are obsessed with comparing these two separate events. The Ft Hood tragedy was on a military base, and involved military personnel. It's entirely appropriate that the military and the victims' families would have decided how to handle the memorials and how to honor the victims.
Was it on national TV?

Quote:
Congresswoman Giffords was a national legislator, and was the target, and a Federal judge and a legislative aide were among the victims, so it's entirely appropriate that people involved in politics would attend memorial services and speak of their colleague.
Did you know of her BEFORE the shooting,lets be honest here,she is only known now because she was shot...

Quote:
I personally don't think that T-shirts and other commercializations of this tragedy is particularly tasteful, but I life in a free country where the business community is free to commercialize any events they wish.
It was at the University,I don't think it was any business doing this,plus the shirts were given away.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Hardly anybody is talking about Loughner's drug use (Recenly deleted thread)

Salvia, Zeitgeist and the Tucson Shooter

I know that he was experimenting with the drug, or herb or whatever it is, salvia divinorum. And from what I hear, he used it quite frequently. . . . It’s like a hallucinogenic type of effect.”

--------------------------------------

Salvia: Legal Herb Hallucinogen Draws Teens, Critics

"Even experienced hallucinogen users say that the effects of Salvia divinorum are qualitatively and quantitatively different than any other hallucinogen that they have ever taken," Roth says. "It appears to cause an experience that we have dubbed 'spacio-temporal dislocation.'"

In other words, if the dose is strong enough, users take an instantaneous trip to another time and place, an experience many first-time users of salvia find too intense, disturbing and even frightening. Those who try salvia often don't like it and won't try it again.

Psychologists view Loughner as a man with 'serious mental issues going on'

Chances are, he's a full-blown schizophrenic, someone whose thinking has become so delusional and disorganized that the world he perceives bears increasingly little resemblance to reality, according to experts.

"Spacio-temporal dislocation" and "he lives in a world that bears little resemblance to reality". Maybe it's not the rhetoric - maybe it's the drugs.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Hardly anybody is talking about Loughner's drug use (Recenly deleted thread)

Salvia, Zeitgeist and the Tucson Shooter

I know that he was experimenting with the drug, or herb or whatever it is, salvia divinorum. And from what I hear, he used it quite frequently. . . . It’s like a hallucinogenic type of effect.”

Salvia: Legal Herb Hallucinogen Draws Teens, Critics

"Even experienced hallucinogen users say that the effects of Salvia divinorum are qualitatively and quantitatively different than any other hallucinogen that they have ever taken," Roth says. "It appears to cause an experience that we have dubbed 'spacio-temporal dislocation.'"

In other words, if the dose is strong enough, users take an instantaneous trip to another time and place, an experience many first-time users of salvia find too intense, disturbing and even frightening. Those who try salvia often don't like it and won't try it again.

Psychologists view Loughner as a man with 'serious mental issues going on'

Chances are, he's a full-blown schizophrenic, someone whose thinking has become so delusional and disorganized that the world he perceives bears increasingly little resemblance to reality, according to experts.

"Spacio-temporal dislocation" and "he lives in a world that bears little resemblance to reality". Maybe it's not the rhetoric - maybe it's the drugs.
There seems to be quite a bit of evidence that he suffered from schizophrenia, and I don't think salvia would have been the cause. But again, the nature of his mental problems may be interesting to discuss, but we really don't have any definitive information about Loughner, because it appears that he was not ever seen my a mental health professional.

Whatever caused his fixation on Giffords, Loughner was a troubled individual who committed a horrific crime.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,239 times
Quote:

Obama, the First Lady and half dozen democrats went to the memorial service. They are all personal friends of Gifford. Got a problem with that?

And how shocking that the U of A thought a message of unity and healing would help bring a town and nation back together that has been engulfed in political finger point since the shootings. Together we thrive, (divided we fall)---how polarizing to express that in all the print material at a memorial. NOT. If you have a problem with the t-shirt decision, take it up with the college planning committee who was in charge of this event.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Obama, the First Lady and half dozen democrats went to the memorial service. They are all personal friends of Gifford. Got a problem with that?
Suuure....How did Holder know her exactly?

Quote:
And how shocking that the U of A thought a message of unity and healing would help bring a town and nation back together that has been engulfed in political finger point since the shootings. Together we thrive, (divided we fall)---how polarizing to express that in all the print material at a memorial. NOT. If you have a problem with the t-shirt decision, take it up with the college planning committee who was in charge of this event.
Sloganeering at a memorial is just plain weird,I understand that your politics mean you cannot bring yourself to think that way....

Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM

607 posts, read 957,839 times
Recap of the Fort Hood memorial:

Fort Hood remembers victims of attack - USATODAY.com

Obama speaks at Fort Hood memorial service - washingtonpost.com

Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 AM

No T-shirts or hats???

No chants of 'Obama'???

Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Suuure....How did Holder know her exactly?

Sloganeering at a memorial is just plain weird,I understand that your politics mean you cannot bring yourself to think that way....
Actually, that's something that bothered me. Why wasn't McCain asked to speak? After all, this event was about all the victims and not just Rep. Giffords. McCain was very good friends with John Roll and is the senior Senator from Arizona. Thought that was odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies