Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 10:30 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,431,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, I completely agree with you in one regard, but in another when, for example, hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children are murdered in the Sudan it is beneficial to step back and acknowledge that those deaths didn't just happen - something triggered them that could be addressed or prevented.

I don't understand why Sanrene et. al can't just refute those who try to peg this murderer as a righty, but have to go that further step of trying to falsely peg him as a lefty, thus becoming just as bad in the opposite direction. That, to me, is highly inappropriate and just partisan politics at its worst.

Nevertheless, perhaps mature, disciplined inquiry into larger social trends about violence and politics is in order before we get a bunch of copy cats.

I understand what you are saying what I am more upset about is how this has become not about finding out what happen but a pissing contest between the left and the right. It has become a game and that is sad.

It is wrong for both sides to try and push this killer one way or the other and at the end of the day does it really matter? It is not going to bring these people back. It is sad that both sides are looking for an excuse to slam the other side instead of us joining and slamming the man that deserves it.

11,155 posts, read 15,681,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Huh? Considering it wasn't Sanrene et, that started pegging in the first place, you might want to turn that around on those that came out swinging that he was a righty, when in fact, it doesn't look that way at all.
You missed my point. I have no problem with you calling people out who try to peg this on Beck/Palin/etc... But I've seen your posts for a looonng time on here and I know your views. You try to peg this individual as a lefty and justify it by saying that you didn't start it. That's not mature discourse.

We don't live in a world of liberals and conservatives. Less than 1/3 identify with either party and there's vast discrepencies within those parties. The mature stance would be to withhold judgment of his motives until there is some clear indication.

5,421 posts, read 6,491,140 times
We bring up the fact that he was a lefty not because we think that was a cause of the killing, but to put to rest the theory that he was incited into killing by right wing figures.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Huh? Considering it wasn't Sanrene et, that started pegging in the first place, you might want to turn that around on those that came out swinging that he was a righty, when in fact, it doesn't look that way at all. "We" were only defending against accusers that wanted to tie him with the Right/TP. And "we" did refute, by stating some of the evidence that clearly shows he is not.
Yes, the left jumped on this hot/heavy and as fast as they could type.

I have read some regrets.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,836,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
We bring up the fact that he was a lefty not because we think that was a cause of the killing, but to put to rest the theory that he was incited into killing by right wing figures.
This seems difficult for some to grasp.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
You missed my point. I have no problem with you calling people out who try to peg this on Beck/Palin/etc... But I've seen your posts for a looonng time on here and I know your views. You try to peg this individual as a lefty and justify it by saying that you didn't start it. That's not mature discourse.

We don't live in a world of liberals and conservatives. Less than 1/3 identify with either party and there's vast discrepencies within those parties. The mature stance would be to withhold judgment of his motives until there is some clear indication.
I disagree.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
But that's the point - he's not a lefty, so you're basically just trying to create a lie to offset another lie.

Why not try to dig for the truth rather than just throwing barbs from your ideological foxhole?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,874,903 times
Quote:

Oh, I agree, but tell that to the lefty blogosphere tonight, MSNBC and others on the Left who are trying to tie him/blame the TP, Palin, Beck........

Mature discourse? That was lost on the 3rd post of this thread and not by someone on the right. And if you haven't noticed all the attempts of Palin-bashing thread starters either.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I disagree.
Why? All I'm asking for is reasonable discourse based on facts instead of gotcha politics.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,836,416 times
Quote:
But that's the point - he's not a lefty, so you're basically just trying to create a lie to offset another lie.

Why not try to dig for the truth rather than just throwing barbs from your ideological foxhole?
His friends stated he was a leftist....there is NO evidence he was EVER a rightist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.