U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,166,779 times

Advertisements

What they should do first is rewrite all the flyers and periodicals which show charts and commit to payments. Once you tell people what their benefits are and how much they are to pay...the government is committed. Start the system anew for participants who are just getting into the system.

I don't have a clue why people continue to gripe concerning social security. It is the only program in Washington which day in and day out continues to pay it's way. Each time checks are written more money has been collected than is paid out. People have heard the Republicans rant and rave about social security till they don't realize that it will still be solvent in 2020 whether any changes are made or not.

Rich people gripe about social security because they don't need it. They know they could take the money and invest it at some degree of risk and if they lose...so what. Poor people have little or nothing without it. Like I've said so many times before...ordinary working Americans who vote Republican need an education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 03:12 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,909,669 times
Social Security will took in 678 billion in 2010. It paid out 703 billion.

It will likely never again break even.

People that think Social Security works need an education.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,243,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
What they should do first is rewrite all the flyers and periodicals which show charts and commit to payments. Once you tell people what their benefits are and how much they are to pay...the government is committed. Start the system anew for participants who are just getting into the system.

I don't have a clue why people continue to gripe concerning social security. It is the only program in Washington which day in and day out continues to pay it's way. Each time checks are written more money has been collected than is paid out. People have heard the Republicans rant and rave about social security till they don't realize that it will still be solvent in 2020 whether any changes are made or not.

Rich people gripe about social security because they don't need it. They know they could take the money and invest it at some degree of risk and if they lose...so what. Poor people have little or nothing without it. Like I've said so many times before...ordinary working Americans who vote Republican need an education.
Apparently you don't have much confidence in the ability of people to save and put back their own money.

I think SS should be an optional system for those not yet enrolled and contributing. People who have already contributed but are more than 10 from being eligible to collect should likewise have the option to withdraw anything they have contributed to SS, and the interest earned on those monies, and place them into their IRAs/Roths. Additionally, the existing limits placed upon self-directed IRAs/Roths should be elevated to that level which they would have held back for SS contibutions from their paychecks.

In this way people have the choice whether to be responsible for themselves or to voluntarily surrender control of a portion of their earnings toward retirement to the federal government.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Social Security will took in 678 billion in 2010. It paid out 703 billion.

It will likely never again break even.

People who THINK Social Security works need an education.
Rich people who DON'T THINK social security works need an education. Poor folks KNOW it does.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:27 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,243,326 times
Quote:
Rich people who think social security works need an education. Poor folks know it does.
So this is really less about SS and more about your ideas on class warfare; otherwise, there would be no need for you to even point out "rich" or "poor".

Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Rich people who DON'T THINK social security works need an education. Poor folks KNOW it does.
Poor folk aint very smart then.

Social Security lost 25 billion in 2010. It will likely never break even again.

It's the poor folks who are going to be hurt when the feds can't afford payments any loger, not rich people.

It's not a battle between poor and rich anyway. If you paid into it then you should be able to get what the feds promised. How much money you have on hte side is irrelevant.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So this is really less about SS and more about your ideas on class warfare; otherwise, there would be no need for you to even point out "rich" or "poor".
Bingo.

And hating on republicans, I might add.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,890,609 times
Quote:

It's the poor folks who are going to be hurt when the feds can't afford payments any loger, not rich people.

It's not a battle between poor and rich anyway. If you paid into it then you should be able to get what the feds promised. How much money you have on hte side is irrelevant.
LOL...so true. Facts aren't rich or poor....they're just facts. The class warriors among us want everything to be about rich and poor. Sometimes it's just about right and wrong.

The Democrats raided Social Security for many years to pay for spending, during the years when trillions could have been locked away for future retirees. The Democrats added SSI and other payments that were never intended to be part of Social Security. Anytime the Republicans even hinted at ways to fix the system, they were ridiculed with hyperbole as wanting to kick old people out of their homes and onto the streets to starve and die.

The facts are that Social Security was never meant as a retirement program on its own. It was meant to supplement personal savings and provide a basic means for those in retirement. Back in 1935, the average life expectancy was much less than today, and there were many more people paying than receiving.

What we need is the option to opt out of SS. If I had back the money I've wasted paying to the government for SS, there is no doubt I could get a better return for it.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:

If the people who have been earning above the cutoff point on deductions simply make up what they've never paid...things would be outstanding.

The rich people pay up to $106.800, 6.2% witholding and then they are carefree and happy go lucky. Poor folks pay 6.2% of everything they earn...all their lives. Just another rich man's a$$hole deal which has evolved into a "screw the poor" mentality.

You people will finally be found out. You start wars in rat hole places 10,000 miles from home, continue to fund corporations which basically earn every penny from the government with their weapons systems and soldier of fortune agenda...knowing that the only ones who will end up fighting that war will be people who are not well off...over half not even able to support themselves. What an easy row to hoe you people have. If I had anything to say about it every able bodied American would be taking basic training tomorrow. The system this country is supporting right now is financial slavery. I only hope I live long enough to see your arses with a rifle on your shoulder fighting for your elitist lives.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:27 PM

701 posts, read 896,976 times
Quote:

You people will finally be found out. You start wars in rat hole places 10,000 miles from home, continue to fund corporations which basically earn every penny from the government with their weapons systems and soldier of fortune agenda...knowing that the only ones who will end up fighting that war will be people who are not well off...over half not even able to support themselves. What an easy row to hoe you people have. If I had anything to say about it every able bodied American would be taking basic training tomorrow. The system this country is supporting right now is financial slavery. I only hope I live long enough to see your arses with a rifle on your shoulder fighting for your elitist lives.
Nah, they'll never be found out. Haven't you figured out what America is now?

It's the wealthy and clever taking advantage of the stupid and conservative to take everyone's money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies