Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 AM

10,111 posts, read 15,775,145 times

Advertisements

Recently I was surprised when a black female I work with said she was surprised by how much I hate Barack Obama and my state's liberal Democrat governor because I'm of Asian descent. She basically said that was the reason she was surprised I was anti-Obama after she saw me post negative things about the president on facebook including links about his racist preacher and his racist wife and negative things about his support for abortion.

My question for yall out there is, do you assume most Asian people are liberals like blacks and Hispanics just because we are minorities? Because many see us as foreigners vs Americans (the reason Hispanics are liberals because they support illegal immigration and have illegal alien family members and friends). Do you think non black minorities are also proud of a "minority president" and voted for him because of his race the way African Americans wanted a first "black president" and support him due to his race even though the vast majority of mainstream America now hates Obama after seeing his lies and incompetence and finally understanding his radical past and his radical leftist agenda?

This has really surprised me since I don't think Asian Americans in general are much more liberal than the average mainstream American population. Many Asians are Christians and are therefore Republicans. for example, the most important issue for me in choosing a candidate is whether they are pro-life or not, followed by their stance on illegal immigration and taxes. I would never vote for anyone who supports abortion. Also some Asian groups have negative family histories with liberals just as Chinese Americans whose ancestors survived the communist revolution, or those who have escaped from the Vietcong or have relatives living in tyranny in North Korea. I know MANY Chinese Americans my parents generation who will never vote for a Democrat the same way you will never find a Cuban American whose a Democrat. Like Cuban Americans, Vietnamese adn Korean Americans and some Chinese Americans are very consistenly Republican with most religion and family history contributing to this. Also most Asian Americans work hard for what we have and do not rely on welfare and very few of us are here illegally and oppose illegal immigration so the Democrats and liberals policies do not resonate with us much.

Oh yes and during the days of Rodney King when many Asian Americans' homes and businesses were threatened, it was the 2nd amendment that protected them not the government. Certainly not the government of the draft doging coward Bill Clinton who was too busy committing adultery and screwing his female interns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 AM

4,573 posts, read 7,472,030 times
It depends. Japanese Americans I would say tend to be liberal due to that most of them are Buddhists. Korean Americans are a lot more conservative though because a good number of them are Christian.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:32 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,227,059 times
Quote:
Do you think most Asian Americans are liberal?
I have never devoted one neuron to thinking about it.

Nor will I ever again

Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 AM

956 posts, read 1,110,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Recently I was surprised when a black female I work with said she was surprised by how much I hate Barack Obama and my state's liberal Democrat governor because I'm of Asian descent. She basically said that was the reason she was surprised I was anti-Obama after she saw me post negative things about the president on facebook including links about his racist preacher and his racist wife and negative things about his support for abortion.
And here I was thinking that Asians were individuals, each having their own opinion. My bad...

Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,564,603 times
Definitely. CNN's exit polls over the years show that Asians are much more likely to vote for Democrats, plus Asian-Americans tend to live in urban areas, which generally swing to the left.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Definitely. CNN's exit polls over the years show that Asians are much more likely to vote for Democrats, plus Asian-Americans tend to live in urban areas, which generally swing to the left.
I've never seen this before and hope that this isn't accurate, that it was just CNN's well known liberal bias. The thing is in today's political climate I don't want people to just assume I'm an Obama loving liberal because nothing could be further from the truth. I'm not even an urban person despite temporarily living in a major city for school, but I was raised in a small town and would prefer to live in a small town or at least a suburb. Even in terms of lifestyle I am heavily anti-urban. I prefer driving my own car everywhere and not have to take public transportation, prefer more funding for freeways vs public transport (which also spreads crime into suburbs) and expect to have free parking. I also happen to be an opponent of "mixed use housing" or "high density development". There have been times when I've seen someone who fits the profile of a East Coast yuppie and I immediatelyh find a distaste to them. Part of it is because of their lifestyle but a lot of it is also my assumption about theri politics and worldview and that I assume they look down on me and people similar to me because I am not a yuppie and don't come from a wealthy liberal background. On the other hand I hope Asian Americans don't have the same "liberal" reputation that African Americans and Hispanics do.

The liberal media also likes to racilize politics when in fact there are MANY prominent minoirites in the GOP like Michael Steele, Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley and Marco Rubio. In fact Jindal and Haley are most of Indian descent and elected from the so-called racist hick states according to the yuppie liberals. Marco Rubio's family actually escaped from a communist country and understand the true face of liberalism.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
And here I was thinking that Asians were individuals, each having their own opinion. My bad...
Africanboy I was hoping more African Americans would have been more individualistic vs turning out in droves to vote Obama into office just because he has the same skin color as them. I wonder how many of these black voters actually understand much about Obama except that he is black or that he went to a black church whose pastors said that we deserved 9-11.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,564,603 times
Tom, you can be whatever you want to be. Even if most Asian-Americans are liberal, it doesn't mean that you have to be liberal too. Just be yourself and don't worry too much about people placing stereotypes on you. You'll drive yourself crazy if you do that.

Look at it this way: 35% of AAs voted for McCain. You've got plenty of company.

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,426,171 times
Quote:
Oh yes and during the days of Rodney King when many Asian Americans' homes and businesses were threatened, it was the 2nd amendment that protected them not the government. Certainly not the government of the draft doging coward Bill Clinton who was too busy committing adultery and screwing his female interns.
When the riots occurred in Los Angeles, Bill Clinton was not our president.

I've never been a tremendous fan of either of the Clintons--to put it mildly--but to blame him for rioting that occurred in California, as a result of the brutality of California police, when Bill Clinton was the Governor of Arkansas seems a little extreme.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:40 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,819,173 times
Quote:
Africanboy I was hoping more African Americans would have been more individualistic vs turning out in droves to vote Obama into office just because he has the same skin color as them. I wonder how many of these black voters actually understand much about Obama except that he is black or that he went to a black church whose pastors said that we deserved 9-11.
Rev. Wright never said we deserved 9-11.

It seems odd for someone who is concerned about how others may perceive them based upon your ethnic heritage to be so willing to categorize others based on their ethnic heritage, economic class or social standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies