Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Is it painful? Sounds like it would be very painful. Seems pretty invasive, despite claims that it's not.
Probably just as painful as getting the implanon implanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Probably just as painful as getting the implanon implanted.
I knew someone was going to say that. To you I have to say, "get real." Getting an implant in your arm is hardly equivalent to getting an injection into the lower abdomen or penis. OUCH!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Is it painful? Sounds like it would be very painful. Seems pretty invasive, despite claims that it's not.
You're worried about a little needle prick?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
I knew someone was going to say that. To you I have to say, "get real." Getting an implant in your arm is hardly equivalent to getting an injection into the lower abdomen or penis. OUCH!
So you're okay about forcing women to carry a pregnancy against their will and give birth, or making all women take hormonal contraceptives which have many ongoing side-effects, but you're concerned about a one off, very minor procedure with no side-effects, on men?

Uhuh.....

Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Why not? It doesn't exactly sound like a walk in the park to me.

Implanon: Welcome to Implanon-usa.com
Quote:
Serious consequences may be associated with the insertion and removal of IMPLANON®. This may result in the need for a surgical procedure in an operating room in order to remove IMPLANON®. Difficult removals may cause pain and scarring, and may result in damage to nerves and blood vessels.
In addition to the pain and complications associated with implantation and removal of Implanon women have to suffer the side effects and health risks (such as increased risk of breast cancer, blood clots, osteoporosis, etc.) of having a hormonal method of birth control. They also will be the ones paying for this "insurance" (I don't care what you say about men paying in, that just doesn't make sense). If you're unwilling to suffer through the possible pain associated with a needle stick to the penis then I can't take your concerns about unplanned pregnancies all that seriously. It's clear that you expect women to make all of the sacrifices while you sit back and enjoy the rewards. Sounds pretty sexists to me.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Who said I was unwilling? You are making a lot of assumptions. My aim is to get the number of pregnancies down. It's absolutely impossible to do that without the involvement of the men. The effect of the men's contraceptive multiplied by those used by the women is extreme.

I have made it ABUNDANTLY clear. If men don't get involved then the entire plan is unreasonably expensive and will never happen. We HAVE to do precisely the opposite of what you are saying I want.

I must ask you to read the entire OP and the thread and refrain from pre-judging my motives and agenda. Otherwise your presence is not helping with this discussion. We were doing so well until you and Jaymax started to get personal. Even Annie was being civil, and she lambasted quite rudely in the preceding thread.

I commend everyone else who was acting civilly here. Can we please get back to that?

Any other complications? I've noted, Dorthy, that this plan seems to me to be (somewhat) dependent upon the use of hormones. I know that is not ideal, but they are the most effective. If the insurance requires hormones then that's just going to mean that some people can't be involved. It's not ideal. But I'm not the expert here. I'm the innovator. I can't make it real without the involvement of real experts. Maybe some doctors and statisticians can provide insight to make it possible for more people using other means of contraceptive to get involved. This is a question to ask them. I'm not expert enough.

Anything else?

Last edited by smartalx; 01-10-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
A much simpler solution would be reversible vasectomies for males upon reaching puberty. In one month a young, virile man can impregnate many women, which is exactly how nature has programmed him. Fix the men and unwanted pregnancies - and the need for abortions - will disappear.
You are under the impression that vasectomies are 100% effective. They are not. I don't have my chart here but if I remember if all 42 million women who did not want to get pregnant only had sex with men who'd had a vasectomy, over 100,000 of them would become pregnant each year in the US.

YOU HAVE TO COMBINE METHODS OF THE MEN AND THE WOMEN TO GET THE NUMBERS CLOSE TO ZERO.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:13 PM

347 posts, read 695,390 times
No. This plan cannot work. What is called adverse selection in insurance will occur. The plan will attract those who want babies, meaning those outside of the risk group for which the plan caters.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
No. This plan cannot work. What is called adverse selection in insurance will occur. The plan will attract those who want babies, meaning those outside of the risk group for which the plan caters.
How can it attract women who want babies when the policy-holders have a 1/50,000 chance of getting pregnant?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Wow.....I didn't realize they were this close. It sounds really good. It would certainly change the whole world for the better. It would vastly reduce the amount of abortions and unwanted/unplanned pregnancies.

Quote:
Quote:
Now........here is a problem. Many of the men that describe something as invasive and painfull as pregnancy as an "inconvenience"........would have THIS reaction and would be to scared to undergo the procedure.

I think we would have to offer them general anesthesia to get them to comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies