Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
At first, yes, I did react quickly, but then I realized that I was wrong, and I have admitted that in posts that I know you have read.

Trying to pin the blame on either the left or the right is just stupid and immature.
This is true,I blame the shooter,not the music he listened to,not the books he read,not the gun,not his parents,him.

But that isn't good enough for so many people.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by LuckyGem
To be quite frank about this, I don't remember all this partisan politics before the 2000 election. When those results came back after the Bush/Gore election and Bush won the seat the Gore side started the political sniping and since then I've heard nothing but Dems vs. Repubs, Left vs. Right, Liberal vs. Conservative, Red State vs. Blue State.

I can't say that it was really that bad in this country before the 2000 election season, and now we're going on 11 years of this mess.

People need to stick to the issues and stop the partisan politics.
It was there, but it REALLY went up a couple hundred notches after 2000. Now it's downright toxic.

And to the OP: Stop. For just a day, for the love of God, stop the finger pointing! People were shot and killed, for God's sake. Both sides add to the fire and 90% of us on this forum don't have the credibility to point fingers at the other side. We've all said some horrible things to each other--and if we haven't said them, then we've thought them.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It's just unbelieveable how DEFENSIVE these right wingers are! It's truly sad, truly it is ... the folks on the democratic side ... Olbermann on Saturday, now this email and the folks on Morning Joe .. Scarborough and Buchanan even, are calling for civility, but yet people like the OP continue to finger point, NOT US, NOT US NOT US ... IT YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!!!

Just stop it ... I'm trying.

Yesterday, Rep. Trent Franks, Sen. Jon Kyl, and George Will also said that it's foolish to blame any political side for this, yet, some people with a certain immature temperament continue to point fingers at the other side. It really reflects poorly on their character.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
To be quite frank about this, I don't remember all this partisan politics before the 2000 election. When those results came back after the Bush/Gore election and Bush won the seat the Gore side started the political sniping and since then I've heard nothing but Dems vs. Repubs, Left vs. Right, Liberal vs. Conservative, Red State vs. Blue State.

I can't say that it was really that bad in this country before the 2000 election season, and now we're going on 11 years of this mess.

People need to stick to the issues and stop the partisan politics.
You need to refresh your clearly faulty memory. "The Politics of Personal Destruction" was a phrase Clinton invented in 1996

Quote:
If you pose a threat to this President, you’re not merely a political adversary — you’re clearly a bimbo, homosexual, a homophobe, alcoholic, moron, sexual harasser, crook, dupe, fellow traveler, embezzler, or even a murderer.

Source: Thomas DeFrank and Thomas Galvin, New York Daily News, August 4, 1997
Anti-American leftists have been spewing hatred and committing violence for decades, this is nothing new.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Thanks for the honesty. It's very rare here.
More like thanks for the dishonest quote mining.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,772 times
Even Hasselbeck understands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVi2l...eature=related

Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The truth hurts - I know. The thing is, you or anyone has the right to say these things.
Yes, and you have a right to be wrong.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You don't remember partisan politics during the 90s?
Were you sedated or in coma for most of that decade?
I don't remember MSNBC, FOX and CNN playing that game in the 90's do you?

It all really ramped up in the 2000's.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
You really can't finger point on this issue. The man is mentally ill. There's no doubt about that, and he also stalked this woman for 3 years before his attempt to kill her.

I don't see this as an issue spurred by rhetoric, the man is sick.

Everyone knew it. If there's anyone to blame it's his family for not getting him the proper mental health help he needed so desperately.

Notice, his family is stone cold silent. Not a sound out of them.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Giffords email: Need to 'tone our rhetoric and partisanship down'

After you get settled, I would love to talk about what we can do to promote centrism and moderation. I am one of only 12 Dems left in a GOP district (the only woman) and think that we need to figure out how to tone our rhetoric and partisanship down.

The rhetoric comes from the left side of the aisle.
Blaming the other side, on both sides, Is part of the problem

Making reference to being only one of 12 Dems left in a GOP district, and since the email was sent to a Republican, I think she was stating "both sides", thus the term "our rhetoric" and "partisanship".

Obviously, the broken glass windows at her office, the
picketing outside her office, etc was not from Dem's.

The gist I got from the email - since they seem to be
good friends is "this is getting out of hand".

And she's right about that.

Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.), who represents a district adjacent to Gabrielle Giffords's, said:

"The climate has gotten so toxic in our political discourse, setting up for this kind of reaction for too long. It's unfortunate to say that. I hate to say that," "Anybody who contributed to feeding this monster had better step back and realize they're threatening our form of government."

We will all probably find out, the shooting had
nothing to do with political rhetoric at all. But, merely a severely ill, possibly schizophrenic young adult who became isolated in his own world.

They say, something good always comes out of something bad: Both sides need to start acting more Statesmen like, and hopefully, mental health issues of our young people will take a front seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies