Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:48 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times

Advertisements

How would you stop an insane person from getting a firearm? It's impossible. It can't be done. What did all the neighbors of Jeffrey Dahmer say when they found out he had been arrested for murdering an eating people? "Oh he was the best neighbor and sweetest man..."

SOME insane people can hide their illness. There's NO WAY to police insane people from getting weapons.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
I am a gun owner, I possess a license to carry that gun, the gun that I possess and carry upon my person is a semi-automatic capable of using a high capacity magazine, and I have always been a believer that that the 2nd Amendment grants me, as an individual, the right to keep and bear arms.

What I don't believe, as the Supreme Court held in Heller v the District of Columbia, that the 2nd Amendment precludes reasonable restrictions on those rights. What we need are not only reasonable restrictions but the desire to enforce those that exist, neither of which will occur as long as the NRA and its members continue to pursue a zero sum approach to gun control.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
How would you stop an insane person from getting a firearm?
A serious background check with an associated wait period would be a fairly obvious suggestion.

I'm sure there are others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95
It's impossible. It can't be done.
I live in a world where I am surrounded by "impossible" things that somebody once said "can't be done." It is very good thing that the universe is not limited by your personal imagination. We would live in afar less interesting place.

Quote:
What did all the neighbors of Jeffrey Dahmer say when they found out he had been arrested for murdering an eating people? "Oh he was the best neighbor and sweetest man..."
Are you nuts? His own grandmother kicked him out of her home for his weird behavior.

Quote:
SOME insane people can hide their illness.
And most can't.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
A serious background check with an associated wait period would be a fairly obvious suggestion.

Once again...punish the 99%. And what about the insane person who has a clean background? What about the person who goes out on the streets to buy a firearm? Will the shady character on the streets selling guns out of his trunk give out a background check? Do you fully expect everyone who want to purchase a firearm to lay down on a shrinks couch with a box of tissues for 3-6 months of therapy before they can get the "OK" to make the purchase? At the expense of whom?

Come back to earth.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
What does "blame" have to do with it?

I don't "blame" cars for DUI accidents. I still prefer that drunks not be allowed to drive.

Because every time there's a shooting of this nature there's always a bunch of loons running their mouth about how bad guns are.Again,you cannot BLAME an object for the actions of someone who's insane.

Quote:

I take it you've never applied for a handgun permit. It's not like ordering a pizza,you don't just walk in and fill out the application and they hand one over to you.It's usually a 4-6 week minimum wait time and that's after you've been through a training course,pictures and fingerprinted. Then there's state and federal background checks and if you happen to live in an area like "The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts" then your local police chief can still deny you for no good reason.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,383 times
Try buying a handgun in England or Japan?
With a Guns-R-Us in every American village, town, and city.
We're the laughing stock of the entire industrialized world.
Maybe in Zimbabwe or Afghanistan do citizens NEED to be armed to the teeth?
The armed citizen is a safe citizen theory, is straight out of the comic books.
Rarely, in real life, does it hold true.

Steve

Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 PM

499 posts, read 405,021 times
Background checks are standard in most countries (and in the USA as well I believe.) These countries, however, aren't subject to something like the second amendment which changes the game.

You are right that it doesn't solve the problem of buying and selling illegal weapons. It does drive down gun ownership in the population as a whole.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post

I take it you've never applied for a handgun permit. It's not like ordering a pizza,you don't just walk in and fill out the application and they hand one over to you.It's usually a 4-6 week minimum wait time and that's after you've been through a training course,pictures and fingerprinted. Then there's state and federal background checks and if you happen to live in an area like "The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts" then your local police chief can still deny you for no good reason.
Hell, I was at a Bass Pro Shops in TN and they had a good price on a Savage .22 rifle. I had to give them my KY drivers license, fingerprints, read and sign tons of forms, etc. They told me to come back in about 2 hours. They ran all info and prints through TBI, FBI, and local agencies. I did get my rifle that day (rifles/shotguns have different rules), but it's not as easy as handing over the cash and leaving the store.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Try buying a handgun in England or Japan?
With a Guns-R-Us in every American village, town, and city.
We're the laughing stock of the entire industrialized world.
Maybe in Zimbabwe or Afghanistan do citizens NEED to be armed to the teeth?
The armed citizen is a safe citizen theory, is straight out of the comic books.
Rarely, in real life, does it hold true.

Steve
Until it happens to YOU!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 PM

247 posts, read 538,052 times
Hand guns and assault rifles are unnecessary and dangerous for modern civililization except for responsible law enforcement officers.Rifles and shotguns may still have their purpose for responsible and law abiding citizens who are careful and know how to use them.It is time and has been to evolve a little with regard to personal and public safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies