Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not going to argue with you about the artistic merits of West Side Story. Suffice it to say it won several Academy Awards, so someone considered it art.
I was being serious,it was a movie quote from 'The Untouchables'.

I think in reference to Chicago even though he isn't really from there...

Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
You're kidding right? He was talking specifically about the members of the congress who for two years had been fillibustering every thing he wanted to do. Again...Palin targeted each one of the indivduals running on the Democrat ticket by showing a rifle site zeroed in on that district. I repeat...I'll bet you that every last Palin supporter wishes she had not said that and she has already realized the potential of her remarks and come out with a statement contrary to the effect. Wait till the next time she makes such a bold remark as that and get back with me then. She's an admitted gun lover, a moose and caribou killer and field dresses her kills. What a woman!!
So if I have the drivel you are posting correct...

Obama-good.
Palin-bad.

Perhaps in future you could simply copy and paste that?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Whoa, Nelly! He chose to quote excerpts from the document in a State of the Union address.
Except that he was not quoting the US Constitution, he was quoting the Declaration of Independence and incorrectly stated that it was from the US Constitution. A "constitutional scholar" would have known better. The fact that his White House staff (of which I am certain numerous of them read his State of the Union speech beforehand) never caught the mistake tells me that they are not nearly as bright as they want people to believe.

Quote:
Recently the Republicans made choices in how they recited the same document. Both involved choices that left some things out. You can't damn the drummer, and give a pass to the piper. If you understand why the Republicans made the choices they did, then you need to extend the same courtesy to the President.
Incorrect. If you are referring to the recent reading of the US Constitution by the House of Representatives, they read the most current amended version. The US Constitution was last updated in 1992 with the 27th Amendment. Amendments changed the original document, and to not read the most current amended version would have been irresponsible, intellectually sloppy, and dishonest.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:05 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Whatever happened to the age-old saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."?

You people are such spineless jellies. Grow a pair, already.
So if someone started spreading misinformation that you were a pedophile you don't think it would hurt you?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:11 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
So if someone started spreading misinformation that you were a pedophile you don't think it would hurt you?
No.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
'The Fairness Docrtine' is anything but; the media marketplace has decided overwhelmingly that the Democratic method of running (or ruining) the country doesn't work utilizing their playbook.

Why do you think that news-talk radio is the most-listened to radio format out there?

Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
'The Fairness Docrtine' is anything but; the media marketplace has decided overwhelmingly that the Democratic method of running (or ruining) the country doesn't work utilizing their playbook.

Why do you think that news-talk radio is the most-listened to radio format out there?
That's easy...the 60% of dumbed down public love trash. The Jerry Springer show has been on for twenty years.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Except that he was not quoting the US Constitution, he was quoting the Declaration of Independence and incorrectly stated that it was from the US Constitution. A "constitutional scholar" would have known better. The fact that his White House staff (of which I am certain numerous of them read his State of the Union speech beforehand) never caught the mistake tells me that they are not nearly as bright as they want people to believe.

Incorrect. If you are referring to the recent reading of the US Constitution by the House of Representatives, they read the most current amended version. The US Constitution was last updated in 1992 with the 27th Amendment. Amendments changed the original document, and to not read the most current amended version would have been irresponsible, intellectually sloppy, and dishonest.
If you read the Amendments, but don't read the original sections that were amended, you are NOT reading the complete Constitution. You are making a choice. It's a valid choice, I've always said so. I thought the criticism of that choice was in the same vein as criticism of Obama for rolling up his sleeves in the Oval Office. A matter of opinion, but to me rather petty.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:09 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue.
That's from The Untouchables. But I'm sure it's a common saying.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I knew it. I just knew the Democrats were going to use this incident to push the Fairness Doctrine, even though so far there is every indication that this nutjob shooter has nothing to do with anything right wing, the Tea Party, talk radio or anything else conservative nor can anyone in office point to any specific thing that set him off. The shooter hates religion, burns the American flag, likes the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf, was arrested twice on drug and graffiti charges, has a shrine with a skull and candles, a former classmate described him as "quite liberal" and somehow the bozos like Paul Krugman make this into some right wing thing.

"The shooting is cause for the country to rethink parameters on free speech, Clyburn said from his office, just blocks from the South Carolina Statehouse. He wants standards put in place to guarantee balanced media coverage with a reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine..."

Clyburn: Words can be danger | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

I get that people in Congress are grieved by this incident but putting their foot in their mouth in a knee jerk reaction doesn't give us a lot of confidence in them.
"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste."[LEFT]
Read more: VIDEO: Rahm Emanuel Clarifies 2008 Comment "You Never Want A Serious Crisis To Go To Waste" - FoxNews.com
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies