Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gave a better speech today?
Obama 84 68.29%
Palin 25 20.33%
I didn't like either 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times

Advertisements

i think the whole problem with this Memorial is the venue...it was held on the Campus, where the basketball team plays, right? folks are used to cheering there, so it just spilled over into the Memorial.

also, the crowd also made a mistake in cheering at the begining, therefore obligating them to continue cheering throughout the entire Memorial.

can we move on now?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post

This is really classless that the speaker of the house refused to attend the memorial for the tragedy that happened in arizona. Looks like an RNC "cocktail party" fundraiser was much more important

"Many were subsequently shocked when Boehner turned down the opportunity to be part of the bipartisan group going to the Tucson memorial service."

Speaker Boehner turned down trip to Tucson to attend RNC fundraiser - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post

Typical repug. What serves him and his party is more important that what serves the country.
Can we please not do this? Speaker Boehner had a prior commitment that prevented him traveling, but he intentionally left the event prior to the President's speech to show respect for the moment.

I'm finding it dismaying that even the people who are claiming to have "heard" the President's speech, don't seem to have actually heard what he had to say. If you really listened to what he asked us to do as a nation, do you think this type of criticism appropriate or would you admit it was petty? And the name-calling?

How can we both praise the speech and yet ignore its content?

Please stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post

I'm sure their behavior did not help the families of the fallen.
How can you be sure of something you can't possibly even speculate on? No one can know how each individual family member responded to the event last night until they tell us themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Nope,this was a memorial for those killed...

Well it was supposed to be.
No it wasn't.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Obama thinks the ABC's of politics is, Always be Campaigning ... yes even at a memorial service. Leave it to Obama, to schlep all of his political buddies into town, and turn a memorial service into a Democratic pep rally.
Wellstone backfired spectacularly on the dems, I wonder if this one will. Maybe with the media ensconced up his backside now, they will be able to spin and quell the queasiness of the spectacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This was covered already earlier. Doctors said that yes she did open her eyes on Sunday but the difference last night was that she opened her eyes spontaneously.
Yes, meaning she didn't open them for the "first time" after being in obama's presence.

Twitter / Mark Knoller: Gibbs said the pep rally n ...

Quote:
Gibbs said the pep rally nature of last nights event was understandable as a way of celebrating the lives that were lost.
Yes, I'm sure they were thinking of the victims as they shouted "we love you" and "o ba ma".

Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 AM

544 posts, read 1,058,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This was covered already earlier. Doctors said that yes she did open her eyes on Sunday but the difference last night was that she opened her eyes spontaneously.
my point is that it really doesn't matter

why would any sane person try to take this step in her recovery away from her and her family and make it something distasteful to slam obama about if he' as awful as she is always saying i'm sure she can find something else to complain about the congresswoman's recovery should not be used for polictical warfare. at least not by anyone with an ounce of respect for human life

Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How can this possibly be explained...at a supposed memorial....for the victims of a mass killing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rycZ...layer_embedded
Maybe the crowd didn't clear their actions and reactions with you beforehand? Could that explain it?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
One question: where was the new Speaker of the House, the lady is after all one of his House Members? If it had been Nancy the right would be screaming that she did not care, why the silence. I mean if we are going to turn this into a political debate then lets drag up all the latest dirt.
Casper

Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I know it seems crass to think about politics at a time like this, but politicians and their staffs HAVE to. From a strictly political point of view, and for reasons partly beyond their control, this incident has been a DISASTER for the Right, and particularly for the political fortunes of their icon, Sarah Palin.

On the otherhand, it gave Obama one of those tailor-made opportunities to fulfill his function as national leader, and he did a great job.

That is why the Right is reacting this way. They are frusrated, and flailing around. Usually, their message machine is much more disciplined and effective then the Dems, but in the case of this event, a certain meme (that Tea Party campaign tactics were to blame) took hold, and the GOP counterspin was largely ineffective for once.

Regardless of the merits of either side's arguments, the Right lost a round in the political arena this week, and they know it.
Good grief, thanks for proving the point that the left has been turning this entire senseless shooting by a lunatic, into a juicy opportunity for political advancement.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
my point is that it really doesn't matter

why would any sane person try to take this step in her recovery away from her and her family and make it something distasteful to slam obama about if he' as awful as she is always saying i'm sure she can find something else to complain about the congresswoman's recovery should not be used for polictical warfare. at least not by anyone with an ounce of respect for human life
I simply questioned it because I recalled hearing something earlier and after research did indeed find doctors said it earlier in the week. More of a "huh" moment for me. I cannot speak for everyone that questioned it...for me personally, I just thought it was odd.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:12 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
The Worst of America, the Best of Obama

With a superbly crafted, flawlessly delivered and relentlessly inspiring address, the president managed to rise above the clownish comportment of his audience and restore an air of dignity to the occasion.
Opinion: Tucson Memorial Service -- The Worst of America, the Best of Obama

Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
One question: where was the new Speaker of the House, the lady is after all one of his House Members? If it had been Nancy the right would be screaming that she did not care, why the silence. I mean if we are going to turn this into a political debate then lets drag up all the latest dirt.
Casper
So you want a parade of politicians, all elbowing each other to the spotlight? But you are correct, Nancy would prob have rushed in to preen before the cameras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies