Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
150.000 people killed by guns in the last ten years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/op...ml?ref=opinion

how many were killed by vehicles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Our house has been robbed three times since 1998.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
For ford's sake, it's stuff.
It disgusts me how people thing that their things are more important than lives.
That they'll sacrifice lives for their stuff.

This is one of the reasons why I dislike US culture so very much.

Get your priorities straight, it's STUFF.

Like Bush said, it would be easier if he were dictator for life.

But we don't have dictator in the US.
We have duly elected officials (except when Bush was selected by the SC).

This is not the 1700s.
Your comparison is ridiculous.

I'll never touch a gun in this life.
I don't need to and I have no desire to.

Oh for ford's sake, what delusional drivel.

never say never, because the time might come that you have to touch a firearm.

no it isnt the 1700's, but some would say that the goverment is acting alot like the british did during the 1700's.

overtaxing the citizens, stealing from the citizens, and taking rights away from the citizens. these are all things that the british did to the framers and more.

also, if someone was breaking into my home to steal, I could not do anything about it except hold him for the cops, but if Wisconsin had a castle law, he would be dead once he passed that threshhold of my home.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You didn't go far enough...In 2009 the homicide rate in the US was 5.4 per 100,000 and in Canada 1.81 per 100,000...about three times more homicides in the US vs Canada.

The fact remains that there are about three times as many gun deaths, murder, suicide or accidental in the US compared to Canada...

You guys are welcome to your guns, just keep them out of Canada....Since I no longer hunt, and have no use for guns, I got rid of all of mine.

about 3 times more than the USA?

how many more times larger is the USA than kanada in population?

7, 8, or more?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Murder with guns is easy because it's impersonal.
With a knife, fist, rock, etc. you have to be touching your victim.

It's a coward's weapon.

then blame the murderer, not the tool.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Last I checked, Jared Lee Loughner was stopped without the use of firearms. Not to mention there are other options besides guns.

Most guns serve as simply security blankets for paranoid people. Perhaps we should consider abandoning the culture of fear, look to better options, and make rules that people need to show they can exercise the right in a responsible fashion before they can have a device that can kill many people very quickly.

Sigmund Freud said;

Quote:
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Got a problem with comprehension?
Did I ever say that you're not allowed to own one?
Try a little honesty in your posts, it would be refreshing.
Honesty? Are you trying to deny that the message of your posts is that you don't feel gun ownership is necessary? You need to take a writing class, if that's the case, because ALL of them have come across that way in this thread.

FWIW, when it comes to the "stuff" in the house, I agree with you. Take it - that's why I pay insurance. However, there is no guarantee that the person coming into your house illegally is only there to take your material things. I simply am not willing to take a chance when it comes to the safety of my family and myself.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
People like to draw these parallels, but you can't kill somebody from a distance with dental floss... and definitely not in a split-second, or multiple people at a time, like you can with a gun. When was the last time a mass murderer took out a crowd of people with razor blades? Guns might not do the killing themselves, but they sure make it easier!!

Again, I don't care if people choose to own a gun or not, before you attempt to call me "anti-gun" - I just think the comparisons to knives/blades/saws/etc is kinda silly.

really? you are going to use that analogy? that is like saying how many mass murderers use gas chambers to kill people? it is not like guns were used to kill them.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
That is exactly how it is. Using a gun demands much less thought and inflicts less psychological damage in comparison, for instance, to killing via stabbing.

then lets take all the guns away from the cops, goverments and military. after all we cant have those groups being cowards, can we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies