Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As long as you know when, where & how to use it appropriately, I personally see no problem with it.

I don't think anything (public/concealed) is legal here in CA, but would have to research that to say for sure... my friend even got scolded by a cop for having a butterfly-type knife, although she laughed when his excuse was "Sorry ma'am, but I'm from Texas - so aaahhh didn't know it was illegal here." She didn't end up taking the knife, but said he'd either have to turn it in or send it back to TX.
Unloaded open carry is legal in CA but (surprise) with a lot of restrictions.

CaliforniaOpenCarry.org - FAQ

And the police will still be harassing you of course since they're all inbreds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Moderator cut: Keep discussion to topic, not your fellow posters.

2. I have over 10 years of direct martial arts training, and several years of hand to hand combat training, and I have 2 guns, (and 2 fire extinguishers, 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the laundry).

3. I don't like shotguns, I prefer my pistols. I hold 8 years of qualifying expert with pistol and rifle while I was military. If I can't hit you with a pistol, a shotgun isn't going to do me any good.

4. I also have 2 sykes fairbairns, along with a gerber mk 1, a pair of mk 2's and a mk 3, for close in, should someone be between me and my pistols.

Combat instructor always said, there's no such thing as a fair fight, you win or you lose, and your objective is to win, no matter what. I would prefer never to have to either fight OR use my weaponry, but in the situation where my family is ever threatened, you can believe that I will do whatever it takes to send the cretin out in a bag. if that means putting holes in them, or making them look like a bad road map, or in the situation where I don't have access to my tools, I can always rely on hand to hand. I prefer not to, but just like my friendly Korean ROK Marine in Chinhae found out, (I lost a tooth and had a broken nose, he had dislocated shoulder, 2 cracked ribs, and a broken jaw), I am more than capable of handling myself if necessary.

The Bottom line, if someone threatens my family, I will win, one way or another, but I prefer my P345. Faster, neater, and less costly for the court system.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-13-2011 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM

433 posts, read 459,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Well your entitled to YOUR opinion, However A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind.

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron.
Free citizens must protect themselves.

Police do not protect you from crime,
they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
Excellent Post, reps 2u..............

The depth and breadth of ignorance on this topic is awe inspiring!
And remember, these are some of the folks who believe they understand the issue well enough to vote on restricting firearms ownership and possession

Frightening prospect.........................

Old 01-13-2011, 06:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Despite their reputation, I've often heard a typical Pit Bull will help the robber carry their loot... kind of like my family's old Golden Retriever, LOL. Rudy is quite possibly part German Shepherd (he looks like a shrunken one), so that probably accounts for his fiercely loyal & protective instinct.

My pitbull dog I had 10m years ago, would have helped rob my own house. He was a great "people" dog. He was not as aggressive towards strangers, as the 2 labs I have now.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Mouser said it very well. The society, through government, has no right to restrict the weapons I own in order to defend my family, myself and, sometimes, strangers particularly if the society refuse to take responsibility for the defense. Doing what is necessary to survive is the First Law. All else is secondary.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Moderator cut: Keep discussion to topic, not your fellow posters.

2. I have over 10 years of direct martial arts training, and several years of hand to hand combat training, and I have 2 guns, (and 2 fire extinguishers, 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the laundry).

3. I don't like shotguns, I prefer my pistols. I hold 8 years of qualifying expert with pistol and rifle while I was military. If I can't hit you with a pistol, a shotgun isn't going to do me any good.

4. I also have 2 sykes fairbairns, along with a gerber mk 1, a pair of mk 2's and a mk 3, for close in, should someone be between me and my pistols.

Combat instructor always said, there's no such thing as a fair fight, you win or you lose, and your objective is to win, no matter what. I would prefer never to have to either fight OR use my weaponry, but in the situation where my family is ever threatened, you can believe that I will do whatever it takes to send the cretin out in a bag. if that means putting holes in them, or making them look like a bad road map, or in the situation where I don't have access to my tools, I can always rely on hand to hand. I prefer not to, but just like my friendly Korean ROK Marine in Chinhae found out, (I lost a tooth and had a broken nose, he had dislocated shoulder, 2 cracked ribs, and a broken jaw), I am more than capable of handling myself if necessary.

The Bottom line, if someone threatens my family, I will win, one way or another, but I prefer my P345. Faster, neater, and less costly for the court system.
Problem is most people are not as well trained as yourself and a shotgun is a far better choice than any handgun. You have to remember the situation: an inexperienced shooter (in most cases and hunting is not real world experience), in the dark and nervous because someone is in their home. Personally I prefer my Kimber CDP II for close ranges or one of my Gerbers for the up close and personal touch.
Casper

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: edited quote to reflect current version

Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
I don't give a damn about how my neighbours invest their money, about what they watch on TV or what they do in their bedroom, but this being said, I am a bit concerned by the kind of weaponry some of them might have.
Call me selfish if you want, but I don't like the idea of someone losing his nerves and shooting bullets that will easily go through the walls of a dozen lined up condos.

would you be happier if he drove an 18 wheeler through your living room?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
How often have you had this happen to you or to anyone you know? Guns do more harm than they do good. I hate guns

have you ever owned or fired a firearm?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 AM

401 posts, read 473,727 times
Default for all the irrational gun haters

You cant stop every crazy person, but lets not forget the heroes and the people that have been saved by guns. Remember the Florida School Board shooting? If not, let me remind you of the event and the hero:

Event: (full video)

Watch Florida School Board Meeting Shooting - Full WMBB Video - December 14. 2010 Cnn Coverage Online - VideoSurf Video Search

The Hero:

Florida School Board Shoot-Out Hero Mike Jones Speaks - ABC News

Thank God this security guard had a gun in his car and was able to retrieve it in time and knew how to use. The lady that swings the purse at the gunman (and fails) could have ended the the situation much earlier. She could have walked up and put a slug right into the back of the gunman's head. (Gun > Purse for self defense).

In this situation (essentially hostage) a shotgun is unsafe with buckshot as it will either "spray" a large area and possibly hit hostages or bystanders. If a slug is used the slug can easily over penetrate and kill a bystander. This is where a handgun or pistol caliber rifle (with a hollow point slug) is ideal.

When I see stuff like this I know guns make sense for self defense. Those of you in denial, step in line to be the next potential victim or have those around you become victims.

I am proud of the courageous people in this video.

Last edited by jaydog32; 01-13-2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Default experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Problem is most people are not as well trained as yourself and a shotgun is a far better choice than any handgun. You have to remember the situation: an inexperienced shooter (in most cases and hunting is not real world experience), in the dark and nervous because someone is in their home. Personally I prefer my Kimber CDP II for close ranges or one of my Gerbers for the up close and personal touch.
Casper
I agree up to a point.

If you are an inexperienced shooter, get some range time in and become experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies