Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

1. repeal/eliminate the liberal globalist 'freetrade' agreements

2. bring back/increase import tarrifs....and that includes against 'usa' companies that want to 'make or assemble' OCONUS (like GE, hq'd in CT, but everything is assembled in mexico/maylasia)

3. get rid of/reduce the corporate tax

and you will see jobs come back to the usa....make it too expensive to ship to the usa and you will see the USA back to success

Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Tariffs were the Founding Fathers solution to limiting Big Government and creating a Free Country with a manufacturing engine that could rise to world prosperity. It worked like a charm.

Unfortunately, as the Founding Fathers predicted, centralized government has an insatiable appetite for power, and if it destroys the best nation on earth, they couldn''t care less.

I think it's far too late now; we needed to stop the rise of Federalism at the time of the Civil War.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
We had very high trade tariffs when we were a manufacturing powerhouse.
Sure, we didn't export as much, because of trade wars, but guess what. It was 100, if not a 1000 times more than we export now.

Tariffs will only benefit us now in the long run. It will hurt like hell until we can build back our manufacturing.

Being self sufficient, has its rewards.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Tariffs were the Founding Fathers solution to limiting Big Government and creating a Free Country with a manufacturing engine that could rise to world prosperity. It worked like a charm.
Yeah, in a 19th century economy when all of the natural resources need to build a nascent manufacturing base were a stone throw from the factor door. I just find this knee jerk reliance on partial history and 200+ year old solutions incredibly amusing despite the seriousness of the issue at hand.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Free Trade agreements only work the way they are planned when all the people trading play by the rules and don't cheat.

Unfortunately, we play by the rules while others cheat.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The only way tariffs work to your advanatge is in a fast growing economy where thiere is massive growing consumer needs. Sameas wealth is dependent on the welt of others in what it buys.We would be a loser on tarifff war quickly ans lower our own standard of living.Tariffs only benefit the producers because it allows them to charge inflated prices fr goods they couldn't otherwsie sell.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
How do tariffs limit big government? I don't understand so please elaborate. I'm all for anything that limites government.
To me it just seems tariffs are a tax on consumers to big government used to subsidize inefficient production, most likely by unionized labor.
In a completely open free trade world every nation will maximize production at what it can produce the most efficiently. If one nation is not open, because of tariffs or other impediments to imports, then that issues needs to be dealth with but I don't see returning to protectionist tactics as the answer.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
How do tariffs limit big government? I don't understand so please elaborate. I'm all for anything that limites government.
To me it just seems tariffs are a tax on consumers to big government used to subsidize inefficient production, most likely by unionized labor.
In a completely open free trade world every nation will maximize production at what it can produce the most efficiently. If one nation is not open, because of tariffs or other impediments to imports, then that issues needs to be dealth with but I don't see returning to protectionist tactics as the answer.

You should be taxed and taxed very high, if wish to purchase something not produced by your our nation.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You should be taxed and taxed very high, if wish to purchase something not produced by your our nation.
Why? Also, what is something "produced by your own nation"? Does a car that is assembled in America using all parts from Japan "produced by my own nation"? What about a piece of software that was made using some workers here and some in China? Do we count lines of code and call it "American" if 51% of the lines of code are made by people in America? What if a product is made overseas but the people making it used tools made in America?

What if a product is made in America by H1B visa workers from China (like most of my co0-workers were in my lat job)? Please tell me which of these products is patriotic to buy and which ones I should be punished (taxed) for buying.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
It's no wonder why we are in the shape we are in .... even with proof at hand .... i.e. ACTUAL RESULTS .... half don't have a clue ... though the few who have benefited love the status quo.

Tariffs were the only safeguard against what we are experiencing today, and the elimination of them through "free trade" and "globalization" was predicted quite accurately by the opponents of these treaties and agreements.

The corporations pushing "free trade" claimed that this was necessary to open foreign markets to US exports, while cheap overseas labor had nothing to do with it. Hahaha ... yeah right. Since labor on average accounts for about 25% of a manufacturer's costs, moving manufacturing offshore utilizing labor that may be as much as 90-95% less expense ... is a HUGE and immediate boost to corporate profits, and was the singular goal. If indeed opening foreign markets to US exports was the goal. such could be accomplished as it always was before ... tit or tat .... you open your markets to certain levels, and we'll open ours to yours ... in a balanced and fair fashion. That wasn't the goal, and the reason is clearly common sense.

These "slave labor" markets in Indonesia, Thailand, Ethiopia, India, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, etc. are very poor countries to which no one in the right minds would expect to be a booming market for US products ... the idea is totally absurd ... but let's not make the mistake of allowing two brain neurons to fire at the same time here.

Globalization and "Free Trade" was designed as a one way street straight to economic hell for the American economy ... this allowed US based, transnational corporations to move operations offshore ... and pay ten cents or less on the dollar for labor ... often using the estimated 120 Million child forced laborers to facilitate the gains, which in and off itself is morally reprehensible even without personal economic impact. Afterwards, these companies are allowed to re-import these goods, penalty free and dump them on the US market.

So the result is, instead of paying that US worker $2 to sew that pair of Levi jeans ... they force a 10 year old in Guatemala to do it for 10 cents. Not bad aye? Instead of 12 bucks an hour for that spoiled US seamstress ... we can have a child do it for $1.40 per day ..... and pass the savings on to ... errr em ... ourselves!! That's right, YOU don't see any of it, Mr. Consumer ... you still pay full price for those Levis, as well as the economic impact of your neighbor being out of a job .. with no money to buy from you or your employer who will eventually have to lay you off too. That's the cause and effect that we see happening in America today.

And it didn't happen overnight. Nosirree, it was a slow, deliberate process. Ship those manufacturing jobs overseas ... and let's retrain our workers in hi-tech, higher paying jobs ... and everybody wins!! But, later on, since it worked so well for textiles, it is sure to work for those hi-tech jobs too!! So, that all started with undercutting US labor with imported visa workers, until the advent of broadband communications and high speed data transfer allowed for that work to be done offshore too, as well as even simple customer service jobs ... now you call for help with your foreign made piece of malfunctioning crap, and you get an equally useless, broken English speaking person named "Jim" or "Mary" to which you can't even communicate with.

And the ONLY reason why you have an actual person flipping your burger at Burger King is because they haven't yet figured out a way to accomplish the task via telephone line to India. But dontcha worry .. they're working that, now that they've already solved the issue of how to man 8 checkout lanes at Home Depot with one employee. (And I haven't seen any real savings when I go in there either. I wonder why?)

But for all of those who think 120 Million children forced into slavery is a small price to pay for a $300 TV set .... well, relax and enjoy the show ... we'll be bringing you two hours of commercials, with brief interruptions of scenes from tonight's featured fall premier of The Simpson's.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies