Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 PM

269 posts, read 295,896 times

Advertisements

This is a topic that I'm on the fence about. On one hand, I want to create an incentive for American businesses to stay here and seeing how tariffs have been used way before the founding of the United States, it's something that has been used for a long time and is still put in place today. A big problem today seems to be that China puts tariffs on all of our goods. On the other hand, I'm afraid that putting on a bigger tariff will just increase our cost of living and hurt economic activity.

The interesting thing about tariffs is that the topic seems to cross party lines in terms of who supports it and who is against it. I'm curious as to what other people around here think of it.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Get rid of all of the new onerous regulations since the 80's and BRING BACK TARIFS. They weren't a deterrent then and they shouldn't be now as long as we recreate a business friendly environment we once had PRE "free trade" agreement days.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,981,728 times
I see first hand the results of the Chinese and Japanese "dumping" cheap steel onto our shores. I use the term dumping in the business sense of them deliberately undercutting our prices with artificially low prices to drive the competition out of business.

During WWII, the city of Pittsburgh alone produced more steel than ALL of the other warring NATIONS combined. That in turn, it could be argued, was a major factor in winning the war. So it is for national security reasons that we retain certain home-made manufacturing items.

If it takes tariffs to right these wrongs, then so be it!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
What is the difference between the tariff discussed here and what the EU has, the VAT tax?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 PM

584 posts, read 871,570 times
Tariffs are needed and if a country like china doesn't like it too bad. we could now start manufacturing good here. IMO the tariff are too low

Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Hit anything coming in with the Highest we can!

brushrunner

Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
tariffs do nothing but attempt to tip the playing field in your favor.
Countries will just take their goods elsewhere..ready for that ?
Are you aware of how much the US does not make anymore and has to import 100% from China ?
And this is JUST food ingredients.

Ready to live with NO GLUTEN in your food ?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirling_vortex View Post
This is a topic that I'm on the fence about. On one hand, I want to create an incentive for American businesses to stay here and seeing how tariffs have been used way before the founding of the United States, it's something that has been used for a long time and is still put in place today. A big problem today seems to be that China puts tariffs on all of our goods. On the other hand, I'm afraid that putting on a bigger tariff will just increase our cost of living and hurt economic activity.

The interesting thing about tariffs is that the topic seems to cross party lines in terms of who supports it and who is against it. I'm curious as to what other people around here think of it.

When you actually export something, tariffs are a bad, because of a trade war.

When you have high unemployment. All(most all) the manufacturing is gone. and you have illegal aliens doing all the labor.....
Tariffs make complete sense.

What they call fair trade, is anything but equal trade.
Fair for who????

If it were equal trade, it would be a good thing, but what we have is anything but equal.

There is over a 285% trade difference with China alone.
Like that is equal.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Free trade lets us obtain a higher price for everything we produce, and pay less for everything we use.

There is symmetry in having the Caterpillar workers in Peoria shipping machines all over the world, and using their paychecks to buy goods from all over the world, right in Peoria. Farmers are especially export-dependent.

The US and the world are richer as a result. Trade creates winners and losers, no doubt, at the individual level. But I don't want to pay $700 for a $300 TV, or $90 for a $30 pair of shoes.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Free trade lets us obtain a higher price for everything we produce, and pay less for everything we use.

There is symmetry in having the Caterpillar workers in Peoria shipping machines all over the world, and using their paychecks to buy goods from all over the world, right in Peoria. Farmers are especially export-dependent.

The US and the world are richer as a result. Trade creates winners and losers, no doubt, at the individual level. But I don't want to pay $700 for a $300 TV, or $90 for a $30 pair of shoes.
I agree, tariffs, and we have them, are a overly simplistic answer for a complex problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies